Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I read Walker's "The Savile Row Story".
There was lots of brief information about SR Tailor.
Among of them, does anyone know about Helman?
House style, reputation, in business or not.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

· Registered
2,642 Posts
Merged with Dege about 13 years ago.

· Registered
239 Posts
Any further information?

Gentlemen

using the search function, it seems that Concordia's apparently well informed one liner about the timing of Helman's disappearance is about the only thing I can find in this forum on this tailoring firm.

I spoke to two of my father's friends recently, who have both had their suits made by some of the most respectable houses on and around the Row for several decades by now, and both of them,without any prompting and in different context, happened to mention Helman's as tailors of very high reputation "back then", probably 20, 30, maybe 40 years ago - very much in line with "he who shall not be mentioned" 's statement that they were among the "best of the best".

Would anyone around be in a position to share some more detailed information about Helman's?

dE

· Registered
2 Posts
Helman, Saville Row

Not sure if you are still interested, but Harry Helman was my uncle.

He & his brother Burt sold the business to Dege & Skinner back in the mid 1980s. I seem to remember it was a regretted sale but they were both getting too old to run things day to day.

Uncle Harry then passed away in 1985 I recall

From the mid 1970s to the early 1980s I used to spend most Saturday afternoons in the back of the shop, although originally he was on Bruton Street before he moved to Saville Row. I still remember being introduced to everyone who came through the doors - from delivery boys to royalty to members of The Beatles and England football squads.

I stopped going in about 1984, but he did introduce me to lots of contemporaries who went on to found their own businesses. I specifically recall Timothy Everest, who Harry recommended. He ended up making my wedding suit back in 1995.

I'm thinking about writing a book about Harry & Burt. Any comments or stories welcome!

Robert Diamond

· Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Harry & Burt Helman were part of the heart and soul of Savile Row. They were more than "consummate craftsmen." Their commitment to quality, their workmanship, the traditions they upheld were what made Savile Row Savile Row. They are sorely missed. A ook about them would be most welcome. But in the meantime, we would be delighted with any stories you might share. ;)

· Registered
147 Posts

He & his brother Burt sold the business to Dege & Skinner back in the mid 1980s. I seem to remember it was a regretted sale but they were both getting too old to run things day to day.

From the mid 1970s to the early 1980s I used to spend most Saturday afternoons in the back of the shop, although originally he was on Bruton Street before he moved to Saville Row. I still remember being introduced to everyone who came through the doors - from delivery boys to royalty to members of The Beatles and England football squads.

I stopped going in about 1984, but he did introduce me to lots of contemporaries who went on to found their own businesses. I specifically recall Timothy Everest, who Harry recommended. He ended up making my wedding suit back in 1995.

I'm thinking about writing a book about Harry & Burt. Any comments or stories welcome!

Robert Diamond
I was introduce to them when I worked for Edward Sexton. I knew Harry better than Burt. He always had time to chat & I still have his imortal words ringing in my ear, "Good Boy! Good Boy".

They were very much chalk & cheese but fun to be around, with great stories.

Edwin DeBoise

www.steed.co.uk

· Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
I was introduce to them when I worked for Edward Sexton. I knew Harry better than Burt. He always had time to chat & I still have his imortal words ringing in my ear, "Good Boy! Good Boy".

They were very much chalk & cheese but fun to be around, with great stories.

Edwin DeBoise
Keith Fallan once told me that while some of the older denizens of Savile Row looked down on the younger tailors as if they were still apprentices or interlopers, Harry Helman treated them quite kindly and in so doing -- despite his age -- was a wonderful link between generations.

· Registered
399 Posts
This promises to be a wonderful book, it's nice to think that the unsung hero's of the Row will have their story told. I'll admit that I hadn't previously heard of the Helman's, but it seems they gained the respect of those who knew them.

· Site Creator
11,761 Posts
Received this message from Jackie James who didn't want to post but wanted to update this thread:

I saw a posting by Philip Diamond who is NOT a blood relative to my uncle, but was related only by marriage, through my uncle's second wife Paula.

My Father was Harry's youngest brother Jack (born Izzie) and Harry and Burt have passed away, as have his other brothers and sisters, except his sister Muriel, who is now aged over 90 years.

Harry had no children, but I was closer to him as a child than my own father. Beside me, Harry only had two other blood nieces, Geraldine, the daughter of his brother Philip, and Rosalyn, the daughter of his sister Muriel. He had no blood nephews. Harry's other sister Jackie had no children, and neither did Burt, although Burt had a stepson Hilary Gerrard.

I have wonderful photos of me as a child with Harry and the rest of our immediate family, in fact many taken after his first wife died and before his marriage to Paula, and indeed before Burt's marriage to Anne Gerrard.

I do not need to join your forum as such, but please put the record straight regarding my uncle Harry and his blood relations.

Yours sincerely,

Jackie James (born Jacqueline and named after Harry's sister, who was a professional ballroom dancer.
You have my permission to post any of the above on your forum.

· Registered
1 Posts
Helman, Saville Row

Robert Diamond
Hi Robert,
I have only just discovered this site (10 years on ) and wonder if you did any more towards writing the book.
I worked for the Helman Bros, from 1964 to 1969 a very enjoyable time of my life and have some stories I could share with you should you want.
My name is Graham Bleach and I won Tailor and Cutter apprentice of the year with a hacking jacket I made for myself whilst there, Ali & Peter Sellers were among Harry & Burts clients that I met among many other big names.
Regards Graham
Helman, Saville Row

· Registered
97 Posts
Harry was a mentor to me and many young men in and around Savile Row. And, as was noted by Edwards, he enjoyed, rather than looked down upon, the new breed coming to the trade. He loved to assist, and did so frequently, with fitting problems., I would have a regular drink with him on a Saturday once he moved to Savile Row and after our work for the day was completed. My old partner, Burstow, and I had come to a financial arrangement to purchase the business from Harry and Burt. Something I was truly looking forward to. working side by side with these two gents. However, Dege came along and upped the price. The rest is history.

Malcom Plews was particularly fond of Harry.

there are many legends from Savile Row. But not all of them were complete gentlemen like Harry

Leonard

· Registered
3,969 Posts
As related to me by Alan Bennett of Davies & Son, Harry Helman said something to the effect that the number of hand stitches is not important. What is important is the right stitch in the right place.
Where the stitches go is more important. Crooked stitches look terrible and don't last long. To many stitches make the garment stiff and some places flexibility is important. Loose stitches are better than to tight.

· Registered
1 Posts
Helman, Saville Row

Robert Diamond
Did you ever write your book? I remember them as they made my wedding tuxedo in 1967. I married a lady called Jacqueline Helman who lived in Southsea. The suit was a wedding present from her father Jack Helman.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts