Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently found the forum and I'm really interested in the American Trad look/lifestyle. I need new school clothes and I'd like to get your advice regarding what I should buy. I need one or two pairs of shoes, a couple pairs of pants and a few shirts. I know that OBDC shirts are in favor here but I also need something for more casual wear. As much as I would like to wear OBDC shirts every day I'm not sure if I could get away with it without too much mocking. I'd also like a nice coat (keep in mind I like in seattle). I don't have a huge budget so value is of the essence. I know that in general people on this forum prefer looser clothes but I like a more fitted profile. Your suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
688 Posts
OCBDs from Land's End, all cotton. Wear them wrinkled so you will not be mocked or over a polo shirt--see LE sale section or even at regular price they are not bad. Khakis you can get cheap at Old Navy or JC Penny or LE. Don't get the permanent press or else the wrinkles won't match the wrinkles on your shirts. Weejuns from the Bass outlet, socks on sale. I would also get a Barbour if I lived in Seattle. Great rainwear and it will last forever. You can get them on sale at fishingthecape.com. Also check the cotton and wool sweaters in the sale section of LL Bean and their duck shoes for the rain. None of this should be very expensive and they will all wear well into graduate school. One more thing: Buy a Harris tweed jacket from e-bay. You won't pay much and it will last you a good long time. I have some that are 30 years old and my son wears them.

I just recently found the forum and I'm really interested in the American Trad look/lifestyle. I need new school clothes and I'd like to get your advice regarding what I should buy. I need one or two pairs of shoes, a couple pairs of pants and a few shirts. I know that OBDC shirts are in favor here but I also need something for more casual wear. As much as I would like to wear OBDC shirts every day I'm not sure if I could get away with it without too much mocking. I'd also like a nice coat (keep in mind I like in seattle). I don't have a huge budget so value is of the essence. I know that in general people on this forum prefer looser clothes but I like a more fitted profile. Your suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
James, welcome to the Trad forum. First, I highly recommend that you read this thread in its entirety. You will learn an enormous amount about American traditional.

Items of a classic wardrobe for men include:

Navy blazer
Khakis
Wide-wale corduroys
Oxford cloth button down (OCBD):
- Blue
- White
- Pink
- Yellow
- Blue University Stripe
- Red / Brick University Stripe
A few ties, conservative styles such as repp ties.
Polo shirts (Lands End, Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, LLB, J. Crew, and others all make acceptable polos)
Shoes:
- Bass Weejun penny loafers
- LL Bean (LLB) 'Bean Boots' ('cause I know the weather here)
- Sperry Topsiders or LLB Camp Mocs
- Balmorals (brown)
Suit - Start off with a solid charcaol suit, then navy.
For outdoor coats, LLB makes good outdoor gear…with hoods.

Also, be sure to pay a visit to the outlet mall north of Marysville, just off of I-5. There's a Polo, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, and Bass outlet store there and if you buy sale items, you can save a bundle and pick up some really nice pieces.

Cheers and welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OCBDs from Land's End, all cotton. Wear them wrinkled so you will not be mocked or over a polo shirt--see LE sale section or even at regular price they are not bad. Khakis you can get cheap at Old Navy or JC Penny or LE. Don't get the permanent press or else the wrinkles won't match the wrinkles on your shirts. Weejuns from the Bass outlet, socks on sale. I would also get a Barbour if I lived in Seattle. Great rainwear and it will last forever. You can get them on sale at fishingthecape.com. Also check the cotton and wool sweaters in the sale section of LL Bean and their duck shoes for the rain. None of this should be very expensive and they will all wear well into graduate school. One more thing: Buy a Harris tweed jacket from e-bay. You won't pay much and it will last you a good long time. I have some that are 30 years old and my son wears them.
Would you recommend any Barbour jacket in particular?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi James,

I attended graduated school in the PNW and just left the area in June. I will tell you that you may be on the receiving end of some teasing from guys on your campus for your tradly appearance, but my experience was that girls rather liked the look (and their opinion carried far more weight with me than that of the men on campus). It is certainly a different look for the area but you come across as far more polished than the boys wearing ill fitting jeans and designer t-shirts/hoodies on a daily basis.
I second the previous poster's recommendation to hit the outlet stores off of I-5. You can get most of your staples there and stay within your budget. Best of luck with school.

Ryan Patrick

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Why would you be mocked for wearing an OCBD shirt?

They are a very versatile shirt. They can be worn without a jacket and tie, with a sport coat or blazer, and I wear them with casual summer suits. Some folks would wear them with any suit while others would never wear them with any suit.

I think the most versatile jacket is a blue blazer which can be dressed up or down depending on whether you wear it with jeans, cords, chinos, or wool trousers. It is a stable for a basic wordrobe.

If a blazer does not appeal to you, consider a herring bone tweed jacket in brown or gray. It can also be worn with all of the trousers I have mentioned above and might also be considered a staple by a lot of folks.

I have never been uncomfortable wearing either of these garments except perhaps to a very dressy ocassion and I don't let poorly dressed people influence my choice of clothing.

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
On another note, while I suppose some folks consider Trad as a life style, that has never made sense to me, I just consider it a style of clothing, and style that does not change very fast, so if you adopt it, you don't have to worry about this years, last years, next years change in fashion. Lets leave that foolishness to the ladies.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
If this makes any difference, I have a family member who works in Ralph Lauren so I have a 50% off discount there on all clothing. Are their chinos/khakis any good?
While they are not my favorites, PRL chinos are quite decent...and if purchased at the 'right price', they would be downright great! Shopping the outlets, it is not unusual to find the "classic" chinos for $29. Fifty percent off of that, adds up to an incredible value.

As to your shoe purchases, you might consider the AE factory stores as a resource for 'good' shoes at 'great' prices! The phone number for the store in Port Washington, WI is 262-284-7158. They do take telephone orders and if you opt for a discontinued second, they can be had for $130 or less.

Also, welcome to the forum. I'll be looking forward to reading your future postings!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Welcome!

JamesD....

Welcome to the neighbourhood!

I second the recommendations re: Navy blazer--it can can carry you from Levi's to Oxford grey or charcoal wool trousers without missing a step. Likewise, don't be put off by comments from the funky gallery about real shirts with collars; experience says the female of the species digs 'em, with or without neckwear.

If you have family at PRL, definitely look at the offerings there!

Again, welcome...wishing you the best in your studies.:icon_smile:

hbs

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Jeans style pockets would be preferable
I normally would not recommend Old Navy, but in this particular case, check there first. It seems like any time I stick my nose in an Old Navy the only thing they have is tan cords in my size for $11. I had a pair in college. They'll hold you over for a while and look fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.