Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My first post here after coming across this site a couple months ago. It's really a wonderful resource. I've very much enjoyed reading about the formal wear guidelines - being an orchestral conductor, I get the opportunity to wear full dress quite often during the year. Alas, after reading many posts and the fantastic website blacktie.com, I realized I needed to make some changes to my ensemble!

Anyway, more to the point. I'm interested in possibly buying a cotton/linen or a 100% linen suit. I have found these two that I'm interested in so far:

https://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=45525&pid=619669&scid=619669002

https://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFCLProductDetails.aspx?rootcat=12|Suits&rcount=1&refinement1=STRING|Clearance|Yes&Category=CLSuits&ProductId=RUC732N&tpc=35&psno=7

I would get the stone color at BR and the tan color at PF.

Could people comment on the quality between the two brands? I've purchased quite often from BR, but never one of their suits, and I've never bought anything by PF. Obviously the PF is a much better deal at the moment, but I have some gift cards and other discounts built up for BR that would bring the price down quite a bit.

So, any thoughts on these two items? Is either better? Pass and keep looking for something better?

Many thanks!

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum, DashingMan. Of the two suits referenced, I suspect the Paul Fredrick offering would be your best choice. However, were it me, I would wait for the next BB friends and family sales event and consider their cotton/linen suit offerings. Good luck in your hunt and again, welcome to the forum!

· Registered
127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Out of those two suits, I'd say go with the Banana Republic one. It just looks better, to me at least. The pattern on the PF seems too busy.

Although, if you were willing to go 100% cotton, you might like this, and it would probably be higher quality for around the same price.

I really can't say that I have much experience with their suits, but the pair of chinos I have from them seems to be of passable quality, at least as good as something from BR. Maybe someone else with more experience could give their opinion.

Whichever suit you end up with, hope you like it!

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I went to Banana Republic yesterday to try on that suit, and I just wasn't sure about how it looked on me. So, I think I will hold off on that one - at least for now. And, as I went back to look at the Paul Fredrick suit, my size was gone. Oh well!

That's a very nice suit at Charles Tyrwhitt, Griff. They don't seem to have my size, though.

I am open to a 100% cotton suit as well. I'm looking for a nice spring/summer, lighter weight suit. Paul Fredrick had a few nice suits in their clearance section, but the trousers are usually much to big for me, if they have my jacket size.

I am a little curious about a seersucker suit, but I'm not sure how that would look. I like seersucker pants, but is it too much to add a jacket to it?

· Registered
169 Posts
I actually have the BR suit in navy, more of a medium to dark blue. I had to go one size up and one length down, i.e. from 40 Reg to 42 short. It's a cotton/linen blend with interesting texture. It's nice and cool on hot days and has gotten many compliments. I got it much the same as you, gift cards and discounts. I like it. [did I just write that in public?]

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Both brands are of mediocre quality, with Paul Fredrick, being a tad

better. I too would recommend you wait for the BB sale. I don't know your build, but the BB 1800 suits go from the very slim (Fitzgerald), slim (Regent) , to the fuller cut (Madison). Any one of the three is of much higher quality than the two you have mentioned. Another suit of better quality, but cheaper than BB when on sale is the JAB Joseph. As to the seersucker, people either love them or hate them. A seersucker suit is perfectly acceptable, and it probably looks a little better than a seersucker odd trouser paired with an odd jacket.

· Registered
407 Posts
Welcome. I am a big fan of seersucker both for suits and odd trousers.

Both suits you link to scare me. The PF is ugly, and the BR lists the trousers as all cotton but the coat as a cotton / linen blend. They will probably look mismatched even when new, but almost certainly after a few cleanings.

Jos A Bank had seersucker suits heavily discounted last I looked. I don't like them but if you need something quickly the price is right.

My current seersucker suit is from O'Connell's and previously I had one from Brooks Brothers. I like the O'Connell's better, but I liked the Brooks fine as well. Some object to the full lining that Brooks uses in the jacket. I would have prefered less lining, but at least it was rayon and not polyester as in a lot of low end suits.

With the exception of seersucker, I would stay away from cotton for warm weather suits. (Cotton blends can be okay as long as polyester is not involved.)

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. I am a big fan of seersucker both for suits and odd trousers.

Both suits you link to scare me. The PF is ugly, and the BR lists the trousers as all cotton but the coat as a cotton / linen blend. They will probably look mismatched even when new, but almost certainly after a few cleanings.

Jos A Bank had seersucker suits heavily discounted last I looked. I don't like them but if you need something quickly the price is right.

My current seersucker suit is from O'Connell's and previously I had one from Brooks Brothers. I like the O'Connell's better, but I liked the Brooks fine as well. Some object to the full lining that Brooks uses in the jacket. I would have prefered less lining, but at least it was rayon and not polyester as in a lot of low end suits.

With the exception of seersucker, I would stay away from cotton for warm weather suits. (Cotton blends can be okay as long as polyester is not involved.)
Thanks for the advice. I too was curious about the BR trousers, but the ones they have in the actual store are the linen/cotton blend - so they do match. I wonder if the online listing is incorrect?

The more I look around at seersucker suits, the more interested I'm getting. JAB does indeed have theirs on sale right now. The 3-button w/flat front trousers for $99 and the 2-button w/pleated trousers for $129.

https://www.josbank.com/IWCatProduc...d=1&Section_Id=9010&pcount=&Product_Id=329387
https://www.josbank.com/IWCatProduc...d=1&Section_Id=9010&pcount=&Product_Id=458772

I may have to go to the local JAB to see if they would possibly have either of these in stock. These are pretty cheap and a seemingly good deal right now. But, I guess if I order online, I can just return it to the store if I don't like it.

Do you know if the JAB seersucker is fully lined?

· Registered
127 Posts
That's a very nice suit at Charles Tyrwhitt, Griff. They don't seem to have my size, though.
Hm... It looks like if you order it now, It'll get to you sometime in March, with time enough to get it tailored, ect in time for summer. But if you were looking for something sooner, you can't go wrong with the Jos. A Bank offerings. Good looking suits, from what I can tell.

Good luck,

Griff

Edit: It looks like the cream colored suit is sold out, but the stone color can still be purchased. Can't remember which I linked to, sorry for any confusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.