Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something for fall/winter that I can wear casually with a navy sweater in lieu of jeans. I want it to be something that will keep me as warm as jeans would, and not look like suit trousers, so I'm thinking a heavier, possibly "nubbier" wool would be the right thing. Any thoughts on this and/or where I'd best look to find such a thing?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check out this page ...

I'm looking for something for fall/winter that I can wear casually with a navy sweater in lieu of jeans. I want it to be something that will keep me as warm as jeans would, and not look like suit trousers, so I'm thinking a heavier, possibly "nubbier" wool would be the right thing. Any thoughts on this and/or where I'd best look to find such a thing?
... on O'Connell's Web site. They've got heavy, 11 oz. flannel pants made by Samuelsohn (the absolute best) and some really nice looking lined flannels, too.

Good luck.

https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/trousers_dress.php

·
Registered
225 Posts
Winter in Pacific Palisades

I found LA colder than I imagined, though I rarely was able to wear East-Coast Clothes when I lived there. Are you wintering somewhere else, because jeans are certainly not "warm" in the Northeast. I also had full-weight flannels and they were usually too warm to wear all day indoors, at least at the museum where I then worked. I would suggest looking at some lovely tweeds at J. Press. Delightfully nubby and warm, though not overly so and not lined. Haven't seen any on the website, but you could always call David or one of the other salesmen in NYC. I'd say take a look at Brooks Bros., but I doubt they carry any in the Southern California stores.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The actual Swiss army makes some very nice heavy wool pants, which I have seen used for hunting and field work.

Of course, if you search for army surplus from any number of ex-Soviet states, you are likely to find cheaper and more suitable attire. After all, it's cold over there.

If you are adamant that the pants be new, I'd go with LL Bean.

Thomas

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I plan on being in the Bay Area and Tahoe for some of winter, plus I run usually on the colder side, so even in SoCal I'm typically wearing warmer clothing than the average guy.

The LLB ones look perfect -- that's exactly what I'm looking for. My only hesitation is that I'm a 29W and I'm way to ask my tailor to take a full 3 inches out, not sure if that would work.

It looks like the O'Connels lined pants are available down to a 28W so I could get my 29 and be set right off the bat, but the price is so much higher!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I plan on being in the Bay Area and Tahoe for some of winter, plus I run usually on the colder side, so even in SoCal I'm typically wearing warmer clothing than the average guy.

The LLB ones look perfect -- that's exactly what I'm looking for. My only hesitation is that I'm a 29W and I'm way to ask my tailor to take a full 3 inches out, not sure if that would work.

It looks like the O'Connels lined pants are available down to a 28W so I could get my 29 and be set right off the bat, but the price is so much higher!
3" is way too much to take in. The back pockets will almost touch.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The LLB wool trousers are quite a bit thicker and stiffer than you guys may be expecting them to be. They're less like trousers and more like heavy snow pants. I ordered them last year and promptly sent them back -- even in the Northeast, they're just too heavy for trousers to be worn all day long and indoors. But if I were a lumberjack...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The LLB wool trousers are quite a bit thicker and stiffer than you guys may be expecting them to be. They're less like trousers and more like heavy snow pants. I ordered them last year and promptly sent them back -- even in the Northeast, they're just too heavy for trousers to be worn all day long and indoors. But if I were a lumberjack...
I..I...I always wanted to be...A LUMBERJACK!
Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia
The giant larch, the redwood, the mighty Scots pine With my best girl by my side
We'd sing, sing, sing.....

Oh! I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If you don't mind shopping on the net I'd recommend "Pakeman, Catto and Carter." They sell two weights of charcoal flannel pants - a 14oz standard weight for about £75 and a "West of England Flannel 15oz" for £125 - very soft and warm. I have both and am very pleased.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I bought just to see what they look like and this description is accurate. Very full cut, esp. in the legs, and very, very heavy. Too much!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.