Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in September before I arrived to this wonderful board I commissioned (if you can call it that) a suit from Von Maur. As of today I still do not have the suit. The suit is a Hart Schaffner Marx and judging from the scarcity of posts regarding this brand on this forum I'm thinking I've made the wrong choice. :(

So not only have I waited close to 4 months for a suit of I'm assuming is of marginal quality at best, I've already made 3 payments on it. What are my options at this point and what do you feel is reasonable to ask Von Maur for to make the situation right?

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's funny, Obama's suit was made in a couple of days:icon_smile_wink:
Seriously, though, I have an HSM Gold Trumpeter, and it's a very nice suit for the money.

Mark S.

P.S. I get compliments every time I wear it, even from the dry cleaners!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's funny, Obama's suit was made in a couple of days:icon_smile_wink:
Seriously, though, I have an HSM Gold Trumpeter, and it's a very nice suit for the money.

Mark S.

P.S. I get compliments every time I wear it, even from the dry cleaners!
Really, because I'm paying $860. I've already tried it on and I was not impressed at all. I probably should have prefaced the post above but I bodybuild so I'm not your ideal model for a suit if you know what I mean. Regardless after trying it on for the first time, I was appalled as to how big it was on me. It felt as though I was trying on my fathers suits back when I was pubescent boy.

Von Maur seeing my fustration kept it to rework the shoulders and see if it can be tapered. I'm still waiting to see the final product so I should reserve my judgment but I'm still out 4 months...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with the quality of HSM suits as I would be with Von Maur's (or possibly HSM's) painfully slow delivery. The should have gotten the suit to you in 6 weeks.

Most HSM suits are rather nice, as MS said, for the money. They look nice and hold-up well.

That being said, this has taken long enough that you should be entitled to a full refund at this point if thats what you want.

·
Registered
213 Posts
From what I have read HSM is a solid brand. I'm not sure what you paid, but if you have a Dillard's nearby they have deeply discounted Gold Trumpeter suits ($200-$400). What's the reasoning for the delay and when was the suit scheduled to be finished? If you are getting the run around, I would ask for my money back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They initially told me it would take 6 weeks. Then after about two weeks they called me back in to be remeasured (the von maur store is brand new) since this was their first MTM. I'm afraid of settling for this suit only for it to sit in my closet and be worn only 1 or 2 times.

Needless to say I'm never going back to Von Maur for a custom and my suits going forward will cost twice as much from a reputable tailor.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Two things:

1. HSM makes a good suit for the money. I probably wouldn't ever pay full price for one, but the two Gold Labels I have are good suits considering I paid $240 and $350 for them.

2. When it comes to MTM, you live and you die by the person who performs the measurements. I would only buy MTM suits from specialty shops with very experienced tailors.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
This must be the new store at the Green Shopping Center....

I haven't been there yet, but you have piqued my curiosity to just go look at it. As badly as men dress in Dayton, Ohio, I'm surprised you could get anyone knowledgible to measure you. I know; I've lived here most of my life.

There aren't any really good places to shop in Dayton, but you could have gotten an H. Freeman MTM at about the same price at London W1 on Far Hills. Also, with an athletic build, you might try BB in Cincinnati. Some of their 1818 suits have a 7-inch drop, and should fit you well. I think you would find the H.Freeman suits a calibre or two above HSM.

Also, Hunt Club Clothiers across the street from BB carry some nice brands for mtm: Hickey Freeman, Samuelson, etc.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
2. When it comes to MTM, you live and you die by the person who performs the measurements. I would only buy MTM suits from specialty shops with very experienced tailors.
Nolan is absolutely correct and I should have mentioned that earlier. It may not be the ideal way to remedy this situation, but you can almost guarantee yourself a full refund when the suit comes in by pointing out the almost-guaranteed errors in fit.

Never EVER let a department store clerk measure you for anything. Ever. Even at a high end store like Saks or Neimans. If you will die because you can't have a particular MTM department store item then get the stores most senior tailor (read: at least 75 years old and NOT a seamstress) to measure you.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hart Schaffner Marx is a brand that actually enjoys some appreciation here, FWIW. It just so happens everyone here agrees Brooks Brothers is the end all, be all of mid-range clothing.

If you will die because you can't have a particular MTM department store item then get the stores most senior tailor (read: at least 75 years old and NOT a seamstress) to measure you.
I found this quite ageist. Not all old people are good at things you know.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hart Schaffner Marx is a brand that actually enjoys some appreciation here, FWIW. It just so happens everyone here agrees Brooks Brothers is the end all, be all of mid-range clothing.

I found this quite ageist. Not all old people are good at things you know.
Not meant to be ageist at all, Scoundrel. I guess I was thinking that tailoring is one of those skills that an individual keeps getting better with over time. It would follow that someone who has (presumably) been tailoring for a long time and is still employed would be pretty damn good at it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't been there yet, but you have piqued my curiosity to just go look at it. As badly as men dress in Dayton, Ohio, I'm surprised you could get anyone knowledgible to measure you. I know; I've lived here most of my life.

There aren't any really good places to shop in Dayton, but you could have gotten an H. Freeman MTM at about the same price at London W1 on Far Hills. Also, with an athletic build, you might try BB in Cincinnati. Some of their 1818 suits have a 7-inch drop, and should fit you well. I think you would find the H.Freeman suits a calibre or two above HSM.

Also, Hunt Club Clothiers across the street from BB carry some nice brands for mtm: Hickey Freeman, Samuelson, etc.
Well Floyd I couldn't agree with you more. I thought it was just me that thought every man in this town looks like a hobo. It is tought finding a good place to shop here.

I've since found a tailor on Far Hills John Whitmanns one can only hope is work is better. I'm now having a Camel colored topcoat made at Whitmanns on Far Hills. Hopefully if that turns out well I'll commission a few suits as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.