Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In digging through an old closet, I found a Harris Tweed jacket that appears to have belonged to my father when he was about my age and size. I think it might be older than I am (30+ years). The inner label says Handwoven 100% pure Scottish Wool, Tailored in the USA. Is this thing worth keeping, tailoring and wearing, or is it hopelessly out of date? It's got some funky looking leather buttons (three-button coat), but I assume those could be replaced.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nearly died . . .

. . . when I Goodwilled two that I had for over 30 years due to the inevitable (in my case) weight, er, adjustment. They wear like iron. Button changeout, and you're good to go. Only thing I had to do during the period I could still wear them was widen the lapels, which can be done.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, some pics...

A pic of the coat:

A pic of the inside label:

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

EDIT: The color is a bit washed out due to my inability to disable the flash on my camera, probably due to the martinis at dinner and a complete unfamiliarity with said camera. The jacket is a shade or two more "brown" than what is shown, but it's pretty close.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd wear that jacket... And I'd wear it w/ the leather buttons.
So let me ask this, since I'm still new to this, and have never worn tweed in my life - what color/type slacks/shirt would you suggest wearing with this? And what kind of tie would be appropriate?

It seems to fit almost perfectly, the sleeves are just slightly longer than I like, not showing much cuff of the shirt. I assume getting that fixed wouldn't be too difficult if I find a competent tailor. I may take a quick picture of the jacket on me tomorrow to see what feedback I can get on the fit.

I had always thought of tweed as an older man's material, but when I found this in the closet and put it on, all I could think was how soft, flexible and great it felt on me, so I can now see the appeal of the fabric.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Congrats on a nice find. Tweed jackets are a staple of a man's wardrobe. Perfect for fall and winter outings. The jacket, which looks like a 3/2 sack, would go great with a pair of flat front, cuffed khakis and an OCBD. Oh, and keep the buttons. They're classic.

Cheers and enjoy wearing.

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
They wear like iron. Button changeout, and you're good to go. Only thing I had to do during the periodI could still wear them was widen the lapels, which can be done.
How do you do that?
Harris tweed good, leather buttons good, hey it fits you swell, good...now how come nobody's addressed the most interesting assertion of this thread:

How t'hell do you widen lapels?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on a nice find. Tweed jackets are a staple of a man's wardrobe. Perfect for fall and winter outings. The jacket, which looks like a 3/2 sack, would go great with a pair of flat front, cuffed khakis and an OCBD. Oh, and keep the buttons. They're classic.

Cheers and enjoy wearing.
Thanks for the suggestions. As I'm trying to actually learn what I'm doing, could anyone explain what 3/2 sack means, and how I could identify it in the future?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Keep as is. Acquire more tweed, a farm with some rolling maple woods and a pond with willows, a big slobbering dog and a pipe. Make a pilgrimage to Vermont Country Store and humbly ask to be authentically outfitted. Subscribe to Yankee magazine. Thereyago.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. As I'm trying to actually learn what I'm doing, could anyone explain what 3/2 sack means, and how I could identify it in the future?
Don't go down that path! It's a cult. Beware ye who enter that portal! They practice some sort of mysterious occult initiation sacrificies involving darts. Oooo, shiver me timbers!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well . . .

How do you do that?
. . . of course it was not I that did the deed. The MTM Harris coats were made in 1965 through a concession in the Frankfurt PX. I was enamored of narrow lapels and ties, although at the time those were a-changin'. So, when I got back to the States, they looked a bit dated, even though they were not at all old.

So, I saw an ad for a tailor in the Los Angeles area that claimed he could widen lapels. I guess there was a market of other guys as well as myself who didn't want to give up our nice sport coats and suits in the face of the mod trend. Sure enough, he was able to eke out another inch or so of lapel on the two coats and made them at least marginally wearable. Don't ask me how he did it, but part of it was widening the gore some, I suspect. Of course, since this was 33 years ago, the guy probably died since then, and I haven't seen any other ads to the same effect.

Based on personal experience, I know it can be done, but I don't know how and I don't know who is doing it now. Fortunately, I don't have any narrow lapeled garments any more, so I'm out of the market.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
3 buttons, rolled to 2. A sack is the traditional, classic American-cut jacket, popularized by Brooks Brothers. It lacks waist suppression and darts. Best associated with the Ivy League look.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
3 roll to 2 means you only button the center button, and the top button rolls over so its not seen...there was just a discussion on its useful/lessness a few days ago on the Fash Forum here.

Tweed is awesome...i'm on the younger side, 31, and love it. It can be worn as said with khakis, but I prefer mine with jeans, OCBD (Oxford Cloth Button Down) and tie.

As a youngster, Details did a spread on tweed last month that showed some "different" more modern ways to wear tweed that looked pretty cool. Warning here though, tweed can become a bit of an obsession...well, it has for me anyway.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wear it

I would wear the jacket just like it is. During the cold weather all I wear is harris tweed jackets. I have stored in my base ment my grand fathers harris tweed jacket that is a odd looking white and grey that was made in the early 50s and it is in perfect condition. I am a firm believer in passing these jackets on from generation to generation.
Cosmo:drunken_smilie:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.