Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Memphis

My favorite shop around the area, Landry's in Oxford MS, started carrying the line and sold them very well this past fall. If you are ever interested in buying one of these, you can try them on and see the colors in person if you make the short drive to Oxford.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't thrift. Not because I'm a snob, but because I'm a germaphobe. Other people's clothing doesn't sit too well on my mind. Having said that, my wife thifted quite often before she married me for my money :icon_smile_big:. She used to go to the ones on Summer close to National. A friend of mine told me there is a new "designer" thrift store on Perkins next to Mednikow, across from Laurelwood. The name escapes me.

As far as tailors go, it really depends on your needs. If you need a bespoke suit made, you are pretty much S.O.L. Bespoke and Memphis do not go together. The closest thing to bespoke will be the various made to measure lines at Oak Hall, James Davis and Shelton Clothiers. Oak Hall provides MTM for Hart Marx, Samuelsohn, Hickey Freeman, Brioni, Oxxford and Zegna. James Davis does it for Coppley, Armani, Oxxford and Brioni. Shelton's uses John H. Daniel and S. Cohen.

Now if you just need alterations done to suits, sportcoats, pants etc., then your best bet is to find a small alterations shop or to go to one of the 3 stores listed above, as they all offer alterations on non-store bought items. You will most likely get hounded to buy a tie or pocket square or something if you do this at Oak Hall or James Davis. Shelton's is always very nice about alterations.

The most known alteration shop would be PK's on Poplar, close to Perkins. I use a small place called Perfect Fit Alterations in Germantown. It's just two Korean ladies who make a ton of money off rich soccer moms. They do an amazing job, with a one week turnaround. Next day service is available. They have altered literally every kind of item for me and I would put their quality near the same level that I see from my Oak Hall tailored items.

If you need any specifics about anything, shoot me a PM.

SCN, do you shop much in Oxford?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never thrifted any before, but might if I knew of a place that had some good stuff. I think your friend was referring to the newest Plato's Closet location. Not very trad. I'm gonna give that alterations place you mentioned a try. I have always gone to Webb's in Germantown and I think it's time to see how it compares to other places.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sny, that was actually the Hamish coat you tried on. It's a new offering in the line for next Fall. So now there will be five fabrics available. The Hamish will be a little slimmer fit than the others. It will also have slant pockets and a contrasting gold lining. I plan to stock them all again this Fall.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Landry's

Memphis

My favorite shop around the area, Landry's in Oxford MS, started carrying the line and sold them very well this past fall. If you are ever interested in buying one of these, you can try them on and see the colors in person if you make the short drive to Oxford.
I love Landry's. IF I ever have any money, I want to spend it there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.