Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,
Strangely enough there was a feature in the Sturday Times magazine this week that featured a 51 year old female Conservative MP wearing a 3 piece Hardy Amies suit. The price was, apparently, £3900! Apparently Sir Hardy had all of his own suits made by Norton and Sons which doesn't say much for his own in-house cutters and tailors does it!

Chris.

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Despite attempts by its board of directors and Arev Brands Ltd (which owns 49 percent of Hardy Amies) to find additional funding to save the six decade old fashion house, Hardy Amies today said that it has appointed administrators. :mad:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I went to number 14 today, during my lunch hour to find out what was happening.The main part of the store is still filled with racks of their awful women's range. They still make bespoke suits, but not as many now and you can purchase quite a few things online.

What I never understand about HA is why they wasted money on a women's range on The Row. The quality was crap and even they admit that and secondly the location, how many women would walk on The Row to shop.
They would have been better off stocking the women's range at Harvey Nicholls and that saved money could have been spend on better quality product.

The person I spoke did not know all the details but enough, things are a lot worse then when they first went into admin. I will call them tomorrow, asking what they could make for me, hopefully a shirt; although with bespoke shirts there does tend to be a minimum order of 3-4 shirts. I have heard they charge silly money for a bespoke shirt, it would be nice to own something made at number 14 as it seems they may not be around much longer - I hope I am wrong.

If it was A&S in the same situation, I would not even spend a penny at their store.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I went to number 14 today, during my lunch hour to find out what was happening.The main part of the store is still filled with racks of their awful women's range. They still make bespoke suits, but not as many now and you can purchase quite a few things online.

What I never understand about HA is why they wasted money on a women's range on The Row. The quality was crap and even they admit that and secondly the location, how many women would walk on The Row to shop.
They would have been better off stocking the women's range at Harvey Nicholls and that saved money could have been spend on better quality product.

The person I spoke did not know all the details but enough, things are a lot worse then when they first went into admin. I will call them tomorrow, asking what they could make for me, hopefully a shirt; although with bespoke shirts there does tend to be a minimum order of 3-4 shirts. I have heard they charge silly money for a bespoke shirt, it would be nice to own something made at number 14 as it seems they may not be around much longer - I hope I am wrong.

If it was A&S in the same situation, I would not even spend a penny at their store.
I always associate Hardy Amies with ladies couture rather than bespoke tailoring for men. I think Hardy Amies made his name in menswear via Hepworths (the brand that became Next) rather than no.14.

W_B

PS Not a fan of A&S then??

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Concerning the women's range, talking more about the recent contemporary range not their couture tradition. After all, they are well-known for their link with the Queen then anything else.

A&S can make good suits and I like soft-tailoring for a blazer; however, I do not like their attitude, particularly since moving off The Row and it seems their quality has dropped a bit too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.