Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spotted this company in an ad originally posted by AldenPyle, after googling all the "____wick" clothiers that were listed. Seems they're still around, and (if the link below is to be believed) still made in the USA. These suits are pretty cheap. No 3b sack. The shoulders are moderately padded. They are definitely playing on the trad imagery, though: click on "Blazers," or "Spring Suits."

https://www.smithclothingcompany.com/

Anybody know anything more about them?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Here is a site Hardwick uses to sell directly online.

https://menssuitseparates.com/

A couple of retailers in my area carry some Hardwick pieces. My preferred shop carries their seersucker suits in the spring and summer. In fact I just called and reserved one when they come in. They are definitely better quality then JAB. My dad has a camel hair sportcoat and a couple of their basic suits. I would put Hardwick in the same category (or slightly above) the entry level line at JAB. They are certainly better then anything at S&K or Men's Wearhouse.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Easy to see that they don't spend much on advertising. Just got the Harris Tweed sportcoat and the navy cashmere/wool/silk sportcoat and they are much better than the price led me to expect. The tweed is a bit stiff but the navy jacket has a very nice 'hand' and looks very traditional. I may try a suit since these are office 'overalls' and would give my BB ones a breather. I bet no one would notice.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Easy to see that they don't spend much on advertising. Just got the Harris Tweed sportcoat and the navy cashmere/wool/silk sportcoat and they are much better than the price led me to expect. The tweed is a bit stiff but the navy jacket has a very nice 'hand' and looks very traditional. I may try a suit since these are office 'overalls' and would give my BB ones a breather. I bet no one would notice.
Is the navy blazer you received similar to doeskin/flannel?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yes. It is very soft, looks like flannel, but not 'weak', if you know what I mean. I guess I have some fears about its wear but at that price, if it's even moderately durable, it's a nice jacket because of its look and feel. I am lucky that the OTR sizing works for me although fiddling with sleeves is my usual OCD trait.

As a side note, I just got two BB sport coats by their online sale and honestly, I like these Hardwick ones as much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have their Craig model navy blazer. (Two button, darted.) I was driven to do some research when the new Anderson-Little navy blazer didn't come in my size. In my limited experience the Hardwick blazer seems to be a great buy at only $160 shipped. (I went with americansuitstore.com, very quick and free shipping.) I believe there's a fellow on these fora who has a Hardwick tuxedo and is similarly pleased with it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have their Craig model navy blazer. (Two button, darted.) I was driven to do some research when the new Anderson-Little navy blazer didn't come in my size. In my limited experience the Hardwick blazer seems to be a great buy at only $160 shipped. (I went with americansuitstore.com, very quick and free shipping.) I believe there's a fellow on these fora who has a Hardwick tuxedo and is similarly pleased with it.
I bought the navy one from www.thesuitableco.com and then found what looks like the factory's own online site (despite their claim that they do not have a direct sale facility): https://www.menssuitseparates.com/
This latter site is where the Harris Tweed black and white herringbone jacket was bought. It is apparently the same jacket as shown on the other sites but considerably less expensive (on sale, $188.10 delivered, versus the $275 on the other first listed site above).

·
Registered
799 Posts
What fabric is your blazer?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I love my Hardwick stuff... only problem I've found is that their longs are longer than average. Other that that they are great. i have a seersucker suit that is only seersucker fabric (no lining at all), and a Harris tweed which is 1/4 lined and about as soft as they come.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What fabric is your blazer?
100% wool, a tropical weight but fully lined, so it's year-round. I like the fabric a lot, it's grainier than a worsted but not quite as much so as a hopsack.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have a navy poplin suit (seems that it's 60% cotton, 40% poly) that I've worn for about three summers and it has been a "go-to" suit. The fit is good and the price (IIRC) was good in the neighborhood of $200.
Tom

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I spotted this company in an ad originally posted by AldenPyle, after googling all the "____wick" clothiers that were listed. Seems they're still around, and (if the link below is to be believed) still made in the USA. These suits are pretty cheap. No 3b sack. The shoulders are moderately padded. They are definitely playing on the trad imagery, though: click on "Blazers," or "Spring Suits."

https://www.smithclothingcompany.com/

Anybody know anything more about them?
I bought a sport jacket three or four years ago from a local menswear store that carries the brand. It was so-so ... I think it cost close to $400. Not sure if it was really worth it. Perhaps for under $250 it might be.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.