Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have another event related question for the style collective here.

There's a conference coming up in a couple of weeks here in Halifax, but it's an Internet Marketing Conference - designers, web geeks, tech marketers, and government types. If I wear a tie, the total count of ties worn at this conference will be: one. Not that that would necessarily stop me. Still, I'd like to look well dressed and prosperous without looking out of place.

How would/do you guys deal with this sort of event?

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have money to burn, Paul Stuart would be happy to help cultivate the image of a causal, yet well-heeled venture capitalist. Barring that, I’d opt for standard Brooks Brothers country club. Blazer, tattersall shirt, tan gabs, loafers.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It won't be easy to "look out of place" among that crowd of diverse dressers. You'll see everything from distressed jeans to suits. You should wear whatever sharp, professional attire you prefer.

I look for excuses to wear ties, and this would be one. But as this will be a largely "creative" gathering, I'd probably avoid anything that looks like the Microsoft guy in the Apple TV spots. For me that would suggest a knit tie, a non-white shirt, a blazer and either wool pants or khakis. Or even jeans, if you're trying to appear "relaxed" or cool. It's up to you.

I envy my father's generation. His only decision would be "which suit/s am I bringing?". Actually, for my dad it was probably "which suit is least dirty/wrinkled"?

Ok, I have another event related question for the style collective here.

There's a conference coming up in a couple of weeks here in Halifax, but it's an Internet Marketing Conference - designers, web geeks, tech marketers, and government types. If I wear a tie, the total count of ties worn at this conference will be: one. Not that that would necessarily stop me. Still, I'd like to look well dressed and prosperous without looking out of place.

How would/do you guys deal with this sort of event?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stick to your knitting and wear what you normally do. As has been pointed out you will probably be the only individual there - Berlin is awash with creative types who all think they look über-cool and it always amuses me how drearily uniform they actually are.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I work in a similar field. Daily wear is a OCBD, blazer, chinos and dress shoes. For conferences and trade shows (not as a presenter or in a sales capacity) it's suit time. After all, the whole idea behind a conference is to get together with similar minds and enjoy some mental fellowship, not worry about who is wearing what. So, wear what's standard to you, not to some other guy.

Thomas

·
Registered
739 Posts
Stick to your knitting and wear what you normally do. As has been pointed out you will probably be the only individual there - Berlin is awash with creative types who all think they look über-cool and it always amuses me how drearily uniform they actually are.
Very true, prime example:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.