Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAKING MY OWN TIES

I'm a "hands on" kind of guy and over the weekend I became fascinated with how ties are made. I wanted to figure out how to make ties myself. So I "reverse engineered" one of my older ties and found it rather complicated - with the lining and the interface and all. I found a couple of patterns for ties, but I was uninspired by the "quality" of those designs - think McCalls.

That’s when I stumbled upon seven fold and double-four fold ties. I was immediately struck by their elegant simplicity and natural beauty. I scoured the internet for instructions on how to make them. The best I could find was in an article about Talbotts and their history with the seven fold. But nothing detailed.

Robert Haller, VP of Sales & Marketing for Talbott stated the following in that article, "It's all simple, really, once you have the technique down pat," says Haller. "You just take a little over a yard of silk or cashmere, hand sew the edges, strategically fold the fabric into itself seven times, hand stitch the back seam, then gingerly hand-stroke it. The friction from stroking and heat from the hand act as a primitive iron, perfectly hand-pressing the final tie. There has never been a technique better suited for creating the ultimate necktie. Because of the hand-craftsmanship involved, we barely make twelve a day."

I went to a local Nordstrom’s and they had a couple of Talbott seven folds - I studied them for quite a while, but that slip knot is a mystery to me without taking it apart. Then again, I'm really more interested in the double-four fold than the seven, and I can't find a single resource for those.

FABRIC DILLEMA

My other problem is that even if I found a pattern, I can't find the right fabric anywhere. I found a few mills in China and Italy and Germany that manufacture tie silk, jacquards, but only in fairly large quantities.

I even spoke with the President of the Textile Association of Los Angeles (where I live) and he said he's unaware of any retailers in our area that carry such material.

I figured some among this group might have more insight into all of this. Any suggestions? I thought of giving up, but I'm in love with the craftsmanship and artistry of handmade ties that it keeps me searching.

Thanks!

·
Registered
921 Posts
lumigeneris said:
MAKING MY OWN TIES

I'm a "hands on" kind of guy and over the weekend I became fascinated with how ties are made. I wanted to figure out how to make ties myself. So I "reverse engineered" one of my older ties and found it rather complicated - with the lining and the interface and all. I found a couple of patterns for ties, but I was uninspired by the "quality" of those designs - think McCalls.

FABRIC DILLEMA

My other problem is that even if I found a pattern, I can't find the right fabric anywhere. I found a few mills in China and Italy and Germany that manufacture tie silk, jacquards, but only in fairly large quantities.

I even spoke with the President of the Textile Association of Los Angeles (where I live) and he said he's unaware of any retailers in our area that carry such material.

I figured some among this group might have more insight into all of this. Any suggestions? I thought of giving up, but I'm in love with the craftsmanship and artistry of handmade ties that it keeps me searching.

Thanks!
If you are really in love with the craftmanship of handmade ties keep going. You need lots of patience, but almost anyone can do it given enough practice.

I would be happy to sell you tie silk (we have 100s of silks on hand in Denver). We also have interlining wool which you will need you for the Italian style "7 or double 4-folds" which are actually almost always lined six-fold ties.

Also if you are in New York you can find some tie silks.

For patterns head to eBay and buy the used tie of your choice, and reverse engineer away.

Good luck.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Medwards,

You are amazing. Are you a librarian?

I have a question for you:

Have you ever seen anything from old magazines or newspapers that has pictures or information on unlined seven-fold ties from before the 1980s?

I have been doing some research for an article and have not found anything so far.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
medwards said:
Hmmmm. Sounds like an interesting challenge. I'll see what I can find.
OH!!! You take requests! I'll go work on my list. :devil:

Andy. You're gonna need more bandwidth. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.