Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good hand cream or lotion to use? This time of year my hands get dry from the cold weather. This year for the first time they actually hurt me. I guess its a result of getting older. Is Ivory hand lotion good or Aveeno? I need something that will not leave my hands slick. Any suggestions from the forum?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I use this Lotil stuff from England.
Also got a little tin of this Burt's Bees hand salve at work, which should be more locally available.
I second Lotil, which is available at Caswell-Massey and the Vermont Country Store, if one can't find it at an old-fashioned privately-owned drug store in their own town.

They've started making the foot cream again, which I understand is very good too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What actually moisturizes is mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Check the ingredients and you will likely find this in most creams and moisturizers. What dries out skin is the fragrance, colors, additives, and alcohol or other agents to prevent the oily feeling. That said, Aveeno is supposed to be good due to oat extracts that are good for the skin. Most grains have valuable and useful (for the skin) extracts because they are in the grain's natural oil.

Typically I'll use a tiny amount of pure petroleum jelly or mineral oil. Rub it in for a minute and there isn't an oily problem because it's in your skin, where it belongs. Wash the palms of your hands if needed (assuming the backs of your hands have the worst dryness). If you still don't like it, put it on at night before retiring. The benefit in my experience is that the dryness is gone for days or weeks. I have used a simple cocoa butter lotion for emergency day use. Borrow someone else's to see what works best. Everybody's skin is different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the Burt's Bees, but I think it is too oily to use during the day, so I only put it on at night before going to sleep. I used CO Bigelow #1135 Lemon Hand Treatment during the day. It dries quickly, and does not smell too girly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have this problem whenever it gets dry & cold. It's especially bad this year since we have a 4 month old in the house & I'm constantly washing my hands- daiper changes, making bottles, etc.

I have a tube of Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream in my desk and one at home. I've found this to work after much trial & error with "lotions". The cream makes all the differnce.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.