Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

After traveling all week through Europe I am now in the UK. My colleague, who is Italian (was born and raised in a small town near Bolsano), broke out a pair of Samsonite "sneakers" today for his flight back to the U.S. I was quite envious. They have the sleak aspects of a sneaker, but have the "grown up" presence of shoes. I quickly did a web search and found nothing that looks remotely like the shoes he had on. The shoes he wore are lace-up shoes (dark brown) that really are respectable. I cannot find these on the web or anywhere else. So this got me thinking, who else could make a respetable shoe (which might be called a sneaker) and looks good with decent clothes. Apologies if this thread has already been started, however I have done a search and cannot find what I need.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Where about are you in the UK. Church's have two 'grown-up' sneakers; if you are lucky and in London, Austin Reed on Regent Street may have sneakers on sale. They have a shoe sale at the moment, that was similar to their Boxing Day sale.
I have a pair myself, they were available in calfskin and suede, got a pair in dark brown calfskin.

Selfridges have a wide range of trainers, but most are fashion-forward; you will find some at Harrods too (ground floor in the main shoes section and lower ground floor). This all depends on the style you like and want.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where about are you in the UK. Church's have two 'grown-up' sneakers; if you are lucky and in London, Austin Reed on Regent Street may have sneakers on sale. They have a shoe sale at the moment, that was similar to their Boxing Day sale.
I have a pair myself, they were available in calfskin and suede, got a pair in dark brown calfskin.

Selfridges have a wide range of trainers, but most are fashion-forward; you will find some at Harrods too (ground floor in the main shoes section and lower ground floor). This all depends on the style you like and want.
I am in Bury--fary away from London. Tomorrow is a work day ( I really should be a sleep) and I am not sure I am going to get to do any shopping, but if I do it will be in Manchester.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Manchester is good for shopping, there are two Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and your first stop should be Edwards of Manchester.

Edwards stock a lot of brands like G&G, Crockett & Jones and Churches, they even sell a smart Church's sneaker online, so they should have at least one model instore.

Roberto Cavalli does have a few smart non-fashion-forward sneaker, which you might at Harvey Nichols.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No surprise . . .

. . . that it was an Italian that introduced you to Samsonite footwear. Apparently, Samsonite launched its footwear initiative in Italy about 10 years ago, and your Italian colleague caught the bug.

If you go to their site ( https://www.samsonitefootwear.com/ ) and plow through all the website design "enhancements" and can put up with the soundtrack, look for these, which might be what you are looking for: Samsonite Miami Man T24U86

Haven't had much luck locating a source, either, but perhaps your Italian colleague can tell you where outlets are in Italy. Be careful, though, of the sizing, because there may be some "translation" issues going from the Italian last to the American form that you are used to.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. . . that it was an Italian that introduced you to Samsonite footwear. Apparently, Samsonite launched its footwear initiative in Italy about 10 years ago, and your Italian colleague caught the bug.

If you go to their site ( https://www.samsonitefootwear.com/ ) and plow through all the website design "enhancements" and can put up with the soundtrack, look for these, which might be what you are looking for: Samsonite Miami Man T24U86

Haven't had much luck locating a source, either, but perhaps your Italian colleague can tell you where outlets are in Italy. Be careful, though, of the sizing, because there may be some "translation" issues going from the Italian last to the American form that you are used to.
Thanks that is closer, but they were several years old so I don't think they would be available. They looked more like the Heritage man without the bad logo, etc. So in a more generalized question does anyone make anything that is respectable. I can't find the Church's on line either.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
When I was growing up we called them "tennis shoes" despite the fact that we played basketball in them. In my neighborhood nobody played tennis.

Anyway, from about age 6 until somewhere around age 40 I wore Converse All Stars, the low cut canvas ones; after which I guess I started wearing "grown up" sneakers, whatever that is. For the past 20 years I have worn Rockport Pro Walkers and I also currently have a pair of Adidas Stan Smiths in black. I call the Stan Smiths my dress sneakers.

FWIW, I still keep a pair of high top All Stars in the closet which I break out on a few days each summer when I want to recapture my youth. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Registered
437 Posts
My first +1.

Couldn't agree more. AE makes some very nice dress shoes, but most of the company's casual shoes, particularly the sneakeresque hybrids, are really quite absurd.

That said, "real sneakers" are getting harder to find. I love my old Chuck Taylors, but won't pay $50+ for the current Chinese facsimile, and won't support Converse's parent company Nike period. I hear good things about the new padded version of my all-time favorite Jack Purcells, but again, $50+ for poorly-made Chinese Nike product, won't go there.

I've got a pair each of NB running shoes and Simple sneakers. Neither particularly excites me, and truth by told I wear them so infrequently I wouldn't miss them if they were tossed out. At my age, unless I'm working out, I don't find myself rocking sneakers. Weejuns, boat shoes, and camp mocs have replaced sneakers as my casual footwear.

But if Converse ever breaks free from Nike and starts making Chucks and Purcells in the US again...

Just no.

Wear sneakers. Real sneakers.

I think the Peytons are an excellent example of the ugly shes that AE produces as casual shoes.

Real sneakers.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I have one of the Church's sneakers in brown suede. They're comfortable and nice to walk in, but I don't wear them that often as I'm at that stage of life where I can wear sneakers normally and not be thought odd, so when I want to look grown up, I wear actual shoes. I do occasionally wear the Church's when I'm wearing semi-nice clothes and want to ride my bike to the event (as it is easily the best method of transportation in my city), but don't want to either damage my leather soled shoes or look too dressy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.