Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a groomsman at a wedding and must rent the particular tuxedo that the wedding couple has selected (3 button, notched lapel, fuchsia neck tie; you get the picture). Would it be improper to change out of the rented wear after taking the formal wedding photographs and into my own traditional tuxedo for the reception? Would it be improper to even ask the wedding couple for permission? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am a groomsman at a wedding and must rent the particular tuxedo that the wedding couple has selected (3 button, notched lapel, fuschia neck tie; you get the picture). Would it be improper to change out of the rented wear after taking the formal wedding photographs and into my own traditional tuxedo for the reception? Would it be improper to even ask the wedding couple for permission? Thanks.
That depends on whether or not you really want to strongly imply that you think your friends have such bad taste in clothing that you simply cannot abide to wear such atrocious dreck another second.

"Pardon, Joe - but this tuxedo you picked, it's just so ugly, I can't stand it. Can I change clothing right after the pictures are taken, stand out as incongruous among the rest of the wedding party, and confuse most of the other guests (well, the ones that aren't so drunk as to fail to notice!) as to why I changed? Wouldja mind?"

I just think that, whatever your intentions, opinions, or reasons, you'll just come off looking like a jerk. A tuxedo is a uniform. You've been assigned your uniform, and however ugly it might be, you agreed to wear the uniform when you agreed to join the wedding party, really.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as I dislike wearing the designated dress (feel like I'm back at prom), I must concur with you. I thought that I could massage the issue by simply stating that my fitted tuxedo would be much more comfortable to wear during the reception.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And by the way, I would not be so incongruous amongst the wedding guests; it is black tie optional.
Well, not the guests, just the rest of the wedding party. You know, the groomsman/bridesmaid dancing, the sitting-all-at-one-table, etc. (assuming they're doing any of those).

I mean, I sympathize over the fuchsia (notched lapel doesn't bother me, I think peaked lapels are in general horribly ugly, however traditional they may be. Shawls are okay though), but hey, thems the breaks.

I guess you could argue the point over comfort, but even if the bride & groom didn't care, people might think it was weird that you were wearing one tuxedo a few minutes ago, and now you're wearing a different one.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,683 Posts
I would stick with the program. It's about six hours out of your life and you simply do not know how the bride will accept that on "her" day. Away from clothing forums, there is not a whole lot of people who worry about whether their tux is classic and I can almost guarantee that the bride won't care OR understand. You told your friends you would participate in their day; you should do it and not create ANY avoidable complications.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Wear your good shoes, your nice shirt, studs, & cuff links, but stick to the "issued" penguin suit.

If the trousers are a good enough match to the rented jacket, you might even be able to get away with them. But stick to the dinner jacket.

As soon as the opportunity presents itself, hang your jacket on your chair, and leave it there, going "Red Sea Rig" as many of your friends will likely do the same. Don it when you need to take photos, and ditch it the rest of the time.

Keep in mind, it's her day, so play it by ear so don't go out of your way, but "should you happen to" find yourself jacketless....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.