Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that grey often doesn't look right in cotton. I find that cotton looks best in colours or earth tone, while grey cotton looks like it's had the life sucked out of it. Especially when see grey in chino or moleskin, it looks very lifeless. Grey cotton shirts can sometimes work, but they usually look lifeless compared to shirts with a muted colour. The only exception to grey cotton I've seen work well is certain corduroy and denim. I'd say the same for black cotton.

What are others thoughts on this?

· Read Only
2,318 Posts
I agree unfortunately.

I've been on the hunt for casual grey pants and I realized they mostly look awful.

I was excited to find a pair of light grey cords, my brain instantly said no.

1577465928730.png

Looking at my wardrobe for shirts, grey seems to work when it has a pattern or is variegated, such as grey chambray. Grey shirts work best in slubby linen IMO.

I've a casual spotted grey sport shirt that works alright.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
I agree also. In sweaters or some shirts with a pattern grey cotton can work. But for the most part, grey cotton looks washed out.

Especially bad in chinos. Black chinos can work when new, but one must be prepared to dispose of them early in their lifespan once they show the slightest degree of fading.

of all the colors for cotton trousers, grey just doesn’t seem to work, with the exception of denim. I do not like it for moleskin or corduroy either. It looks like work pants that have been washed out. The comment that they look lifeless is spot on. Yet in wool for some reason the same color and hue will look great.
But even in wool there are limits. PC just came out with grey cav twills. Excited to have another option to fawn and lovat, I purchased a pair. They are god awful fugley. Lifeless, awful abominations. Not worth the $15 to hem. I even feel guilty putting them in the Salvation Army bin. Better to destroy them and remove them from the face of the earth. Against my better judgment I shall donate them anyway but I remain conflicted between providing clothing to someone who needs it, and perpetuating this monstrosity.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
I have 3 gray cotton polo shirts (1 light gray short sleeve and 2 long sleeve, 1 light gray and 1 medium gray), 2 pairs of medium gray cargo pants that are 98% cotton and 2% spandex and 3 pairs of cotton cargo shorts (1 light gray and 2 dark gray). I love them all.

· Registered
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree also. In sweaters or some shirts with a pattern grey cotton can work. But for the most part, grey cotton looks washed out.

Especially bad in chinos. Black chinos can work when new, but one must be prepared to dispose of them early in their lifespan once they show the slightest degree of fading.

of all the colors for cotton trousers, grey just doesn't seem to work, with the exception of denim. I do not like it for moleskin or corduroy either. It looks like work pants that have been washed out. The comment that they look lifeless is spot on. Yet in wool for some reason the same color and hue will look great.
But even in wool there are limits. PC just came out with grey cav twills. Excited to have another option to fawn and lovat, I purchased a pair. They are god awful fugley. Lifeless, awful abominations. Not worth the $15 to hem. I even feel guilty putting them in the Salvation Army bin. Better to destroy them and remove them from the face of the earth. Against my better judgment I shall donate them anyway but I remain conflicted between providing clothing to someone who needs it, and perpetuating this monstrosity.
If black chinos aren't lasting long, I'd say they're not working. I had a pair of black chinos when I was in high school. I remember people telling me they liked my green pants.

Cavalry twill definitely is best in earth tones, but I had a pair in charcoal that I liked. I can picture lighter greys not working well.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
I agree with most of the above comments, and with the exceptions as noted - grey polo shirts and grey (white-grey striped) seersucker. I'd all but given up on grey cotton pants and, then, bought these from J.Crew this year and really like them as something less dressy than wool dress pants but nicer than chinos (or equal to nice chinos):

They look better in person than in the pic.

Some close ups of mine that might help:
Jeans Textile Sleeve Grey Shorts
Jeans Sleeve Grey Denim Wood
Outerwear Sleeve Grey Pattern Woolen

· Registered
14,999 Posts
If the cotton has some cashmere woven into it then it does have a bit of sheen. Darker shades of gray with cotton seem to work better, to my eye at least.

As the color starts to fade, as is typical of cotton, then there is some contrast and character. But lighter shades don’t seem to fare as well.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
I find that grey often doesn't look right in cotton. I find that cotton looks best in colours or earth tone, while grey cotton looks like it's had the life sucked out of it. Especially when see grey in chino or moleskin, it looks very lifeless. Grey cotton shirts can sometimes work, but they usually look lifeless compared to shirts with a muted colour. The only exception to grey cotton I've seen work well is certain corduroy and denim. I'd say the same for black cotton.

Hi Matt, agree. light grey sucks the life out of me, cotton or otherwise. It is such a lifeless shade. Dark charcoal on the other hand m my

· Registered
2,131 Posts

Hi Matt, agree. light grey sucks the life out of me, cotton or otherwise. It is such a lifeless shade in a suit or odd jacket that is in proximity to my complexion. Mid to dark charcoal on the other hand compliments my complexion. Light grey shirts sometime looks like dingy white.

· Premium Member
27,866 Posts

I agree entirely, including the exception for some grey shirts. But it's very dependent on shade, sufficiency of the dye, and most importantly, the coloring of the wearer. I look dreadful in it, but I've seen sandy/red complexioned individuals for whom it's quite flattering.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Charcoal cav twills is another story entirely. I wish the PCs were that dark. But in medium or light grey they are as lifeless as chinos.
My black chinos are holding up well. But the day they take on a green or grey hue they are toast. I would still replace them as I find cotton black chinos usefull though I eschew black wool trousers. Probably because charcoal wool is so available

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
29,124 Posts
I once purchased a grey dress shirt and couldn't bring myself to wear it. On the other hand grey heather turtlenecks are a winter staple under a more vibrant crew neck sweater. I also wear them in the yard, greenhouse or shop. That may say something right there.

· Registered
548 Posts
Charcoal cav twills is another story entirely. I wish the PCs were that dark. But in medium or light grey they are as lifeless as chinos.
My black chinos are holding up well. But the day they take on a green or grey hue they are toast. I would still replace them as I find cotton black chinos usefull though I eschew black wool trousers. Probably because charcoal wool is so available
I prefer charcoal grey to black by a huge margin, especially in wool.

I never buy black trousers because everything else I'm wearing has to be selected specifically to avoid looking like part of the "personnel de maison."
I'm sure it works for some people, but it doesn't work for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.