Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that most members are unfamilar with the line. It's ranked between the Masterpiece line and the Footmaster line. The upper leather used is very supple. They have a channelled oak bark sole, which is also of a superior quality. It's quite dense, hard and smooth. It shines well.

BTW, I noticed that fore part of the sole cosists of 3 layers(double sole) and back part consists of 2 layers(single sole). Does anyone know what is the name of this construction?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I love them too.

What I want to know is why Grenson seem to reserve some of their most interesting footwear for export. I recently emailed them about possibly obtaining a pair of their lovely calf pumps and they basically said **** off. They didn't make them for the British market.

I have a pair of Grenson slip ons that have the same sole construction as above. It does make them very resilient and I would also like to know the technical term!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
... and they basically said **** off. They didn't make them for the British market.
Grenson, like most other Northampton shoemakers, will produce anything what gets requested as long as the required minimum is ordered. (With the proviso, as long as it will fit into their production set-up.)

They also produce a range of stock items. Those items can be supplied without notice. The difference is, for the stock items, Grenson has the financial responsibility. If they produce lots and lots in styles they cannot sell, it's the company's loss. So, they are not likely to be very adventurous.

That said, Grenson's current marketing philosophy, as executed by their MD Tim Little seems to me somewhat misguided. Grenson tries to place itself as a trendy, fashion-conscious brand, appealing to a young and not too affluent crowd. Some of the current designs, particularly in the (cheaper) "Rushden" range are just plain ghastly:
https://www.grenson.co.uk/RushdenRange/main1.asp?categoryid=2

Well, that is Grenson's (or Tim Little's) choice to place the collection somewhere close to Kenneth Cole. If they cannot see a market for a better product, they will not produce it.

I have a pair of Grenson slip ons that have the same sole construction as above. It does make them very resilient and I would also like to know the technical term!
This type of sole is called at Edward Green HAF. (I don't know what that abbreviation stands for and if the term HAF is used throughout the industry,) It is a double sole where the middles sole is restricted to the actual walking-sole. The middle-sole then tapers away to be single outer-sole under the "waist" (The waist is the narrowest part of the shoe, where the sole takes off the ground to disappear a bit later under the heel.)

·
Registered
861 Posts
b-s thanks for the very informative reply.

I had noted what seemed to be a general decline with Grenson. My local stockist always promoted the higher ranges but now seems to focus on the cheapest models. My barber bought a pair of ankle boots earlier this winter that were so uncomfortable he returned them. The replacement pair are little better he tells me.

That's a great shame to me. While I have not always liked Grenson's style, I have loved wearing them for the comfort alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.