Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
Talk of Chesterfields on the white scarf/black tie thread and the Gloverall thread inspired me to write this.

This for the record is almost the same as the police greatcoat I've started wearing this week as the snow and cold arrived. However mine is six button DB as opposed to the 8 buttons on this one from Northampton.

Also mine is Metropoltian Police 1956 issue, stamped in ink inside the sleeve, with crown. So, 12 years older than the one in the picture. I inherited it from one of my police sergeants in the early 90s, who had in turn inherited it himself from an old hand. The black buttons bearing the words "Metropoltian Police" and the Queen's crown are made of wood. For a while here in sweden I used to wear it with my own silver metal service number and police division letters on the shoulders, but I don't do that anymore.

While you might think the photo has been reversed, it is more likely that the coat was just buttoned the wrong way. Because unlike many DB jackets and coats, British police and military greatcoats have two full sets of buttonholes.

Now to the crux of the matter, it's made of thick and heavy black serge. No word of a lie this material is half a centimeter thick.

I love wearing it because it looks great, it's really long and it has really deep pockets, to allow for carrying a truncheon. And they don't make lapels and collars like that anymore, when I fold the lapels over & turn the collar up my head almost disapears, that's what you want on a greatcoat. And it's warmer than EVERYTHING else on the market, and it is HEAVY! Man is it heavy. You won't believe me when I tell you how much it weighs. This coat weighs 8 lbs...yes EIGHT pounds. Now go and weigh your Barbour or down anorak or Crombie or covert and you'll realise how heavy an 8lb coat is. And when it gets wet....oy vay! No wonder they stopped issuing them in the 70s.:icon_smile_big:

Anyway my 52 year old police greatcoat makes a great coat for the winter. To think I'm wearing a coat that's 5 years older than I am.

Just felt like sharing as I've started using it again.

James

·
Registered
350 Posts
James

I can't go older but at least I can match the date! I wear a 1956 cavalry pattern (single breasted leather buttons and turnback cuffs) British Warm officers greatcoat. It weighs about the same and is equally as thick!

My service (No 2 dress) double breasted pattern in khaki would be a little OTT I feel.

Great for the cold weather.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds "great" :icon_smile_wink:

I'd like to see a picture of it if possible.

On a completely different note, do many or any of the American members here know the significance of your user name?
I can't imagine many do.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I can't quite go back as far as you but my U.S. Navy peacoat was issued to me in 1968 which makes it 40 years old now. It still looks great but I must admit that I haven't worn it in years. I generally thought it was too heavy; however, I weighed the peacoat and it came in at 4 lbs. so I must agree with you, that is one heavy coat you have.

Cruiser

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.