Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
"Fit/muscular bodies", like "perversion" and "fast car", happens to be one of those concepts which is defined in widely diverse fashion.

Some people on here would define "fit" as being a 36 chest, a 27 waist, and being able to run a four-minute mile.

Others would define it as being in the kind of shape Sean Connery was in when he played Bond.

Still others would say that it's having a 52-inch chest at 5'8" and being able to count your veins through your UnderArmor shirt.

The phrase "fit" implies "fit for purpose", which is also a widely diverse concept. Speaking for myself, "fit for purpose" means being able to sit in a 110-degree car interior for three hours at a time, operating non-powered steering and brakes, while running at a heart rate about 80% of maximum. It has nothing to do with weight or waist size. I've observed a lot of "fit" people fail under these conditions, and by "fail" I mean "occasionally die". On the other hand, if I had to bench 350 pounds or run ten miles in an hour, I'd be unable to meet those conditions.

So you get the idea. Why don't you describe your body type in more absolute terms. I can't tell if you're a marathon runner with five percent body fat, a powerlifter who wouldn't run a 5k on a bet, or a bodybuilder :)

· Registered
1,520 Posts
He means muscular you tool. I love how it turns, yet again, into a bloviation about how impressed you are with yourself. What part of the term "fit/muscular" can you not picture in your head? Cant you just say "I don't know"? Or skip the reply entirely? I don't think he got much out of "on the one hand, on the other, then again..." like he had asked how long a piece of string was.

Original poster:

Please perform a search of the forum's past posts because I am sure this has come up in the recent past, I just cant remember exactly what the recommendations were.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work out every day and am fortunate to have good genes so that my body type is very fit. I am 5'8, weigh 150 pounds and have a 28 inch waist line. My chest is 40 inches and my arms are 16.5 inches in diameter. My body fat is at 4%.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I work out every day and am fortunate to have good genes so that my body type is very fit. I am 5'8, weigh 150 pounds and have a 28 inch waist line. My chest is 40 inches and my arms are 16.5 inches in diameter.
Most brands would fit. My advice would to get suits that are available as separates, get a 40" blazer and 32" trousers with the waist taken in. However, a 4" is a lot, maybe get it taken in to 30" instead.

My body fat is at 4%.
Please edit that unless you are a pro cyclist.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
He means muscular you tool. I love how it turns, yet again, into a bloviation about how impressed you are with yourself. What part of the term "fit/muscular" can you not picture in your head? Cant you just say "I don't know"? Or skip the reply entirely? I don't think he got much out of "on the one hand, on the other, then again..." like he had asked how long a piece of string was.

Original poster:

Please perform a search of the forum's past posts because I am sure this has come up in the recent past, I just cant remember exactly what the recommendations were.
Nice!

Seems to me that specifics wouldn't hurt. "Muscular" is a matter of wide degree. Daniel Craig is quite muscular, but probably has no difficulty finding garments that fit. Wongster didn't define any particular problem in his post, so it's pretty much guesswork trying to provide advice.

There are a lot of "athletic" fit options by various makers. Those generally work for broader shoulders, fuller chests, and smaller waists. The quality will be the same as for the regular lines for the rest of us. However, if we are talking hugely developed bodybuilder physiques, there appear to be precious few really good makers specializing in that. "Big and Tall" outlets may have some things that are decent and would allow purchase in large shoulder/arm sizes that could be tailored, reducing waist size for instance. Otherwise, made to measure would be the way to go.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Like I said earlier, I just have very good genes. I eat yogurt (200 calories) for breakfast, a protein bar (450 calories) for lunch and oatmeal flakes (600 calories) for dinner. I run 5 miles and lift weights each day, thus I have a very fit body and 4% body fat.

· Registered
123 Posts

Original poster:

When I saw fit and muscular I was picturing somebody looking like Arnold and not somebody 5'8" and 150 lbs, so I think he had a point even if it was long winded.

But staying on topic I'm at about the same measurements as wongster as far as chest and waist go, I like Saville Row's slim fit suits myself.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Like I said earlier, I just have very good genes. I eat yogurt for breakfast, a protein bar lunch and oatmeal flakes for dinner. I run 5 miles and lift weights each day, thus I have a very fit body and 4% body fat.
Coming from a sports background, I can tell you now that no one can maintain that body-fat-percentage throughout the year. Lance Armstrong is a genetic freak and even he could not maintain that despite all the help from the best nutritionists in the world.

Secondly, please eat. You should be consuming 5-6 small meals daily and have at least one rest day during the week. At 150lbs, you need to be consuming at least 2200-2400 kcal daily plus up to 500-600kcal because of exercise.

· Registered
290 Posts
He means muscular you tool.
Meow, meow, meow.

However, it turns out that you were wrong and I was right; the OP is 5'8", has a 40-inch chest, and a 28-inch waist. So it's a good thing that somebody asked, because I'm certain that some of us thought he was Howie Long. Mr. Long would have a very different fit issue from this fellow; to be more precise, he would be outside European off-the-rack sizes. Of course, the fact that he's wearing Hugo Boss and the cheapie Zegna was a clue here, but I don't blame you for not picking it up.

This fellow should fit okay in any Italian "40 Short" with a mild dart. He's a twelve-inch drop, which isn't absolutely outrageous.

The satorial issue he's facing isn't "fitness", it's shortness. A truly "fitted suit" which accentuates the V-shape is also likely to make him look shorter, because we tend to compare someone' visual width-to-height at a distance and guess their height as a result.

This is, alas, the problem that short men face. The more you work out to impress the ladies, and the more you deviate from traditional body proportion, the shorter you look, and this is a killer, because the two things women really want in a man, besides cash in the pocket, are height and hair.

Now, as it so happens, the original poster also suffers from a bit of the same problem you ascribe to me: he was in a hurry to tell everyone how FIT and MUSCULAR he is. I admire him for this; once I quit my pro cycling career I ceased to give a toss about being FIT and MUSCULAR. Still, he should have told us up front that he was still, fundamentally,a little fellow, because it allows us to give him better advice, the same way I am up-front about being singularly ugly.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. But If I consumed so many calories (2000-2200), I would not be able to maintain my weight (150) and low body fat. I will say that remaining at my current weight and body fat is not easy. It takes hard work and discipline. I am just one of those guys who is consumed about being fit and ripped.

Enough about my weight and body fat, I am truly interested about finding more suit brands that fit my body type.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
This is, alas, the problem that short men face. The more you work out to impress the ladies, and the more you deviate from traditional body proportion, the shorter you look, and this is a killer, because the two things women really want in a man, besides cash in the pocket, are height and hair.
At 5'7
I:
1. do not see it is as a problem
2. do not train for women, only myself
3. never had a problem with pulling women

I do have hair though :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the advice. But If I consumed so many calories (2000-2200), I would not be able to maintain my weight (150) and low body fat. I will say that remaining at my current weight and body fat is not easy. It takes hard work and discipline. I am just one of those guys who is consumed about being fit and ripped.

Enough about my weight and body fat, I am truly interested about finding more suit brands that fit my body type.
WONGSTER,

Ben @ eHaberdasher.com has some Valentino and Versace suits at some very reasonable prices, both of which are quite "trim" IMO and I am 6'0" 170(ish) lbs.

· Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't have your chest/waist drop (I'm 5'9", 165lbs, with a 40" jacket and 32" waist), but I can offer the following tips for fit guys buying a suit.

1. Beware taking the tailoring too far. You want the fit to work for your body type, but not necessarily accentuate your build. Your suit is not the best venue for showing off muscles.
2. You may need to stay away from double-breasted suits. They can exaggerate the taper to the point you look top-heavy.
3. Go with double-side vents, which make broad shoulders and a narrow waist look better from behind.
4. Check out some 3-piece suits. The vest with an open jacket provides excellent balance.
5. I find European OTR suits often have small armholes for those of us with larger biceps. Consider US labels, and find an excellent alterations person.

· Registered
446 Posts
You are lucky you can even fit into any OTR suits. Because of my arm dimensions, I cannot fit my arms into any OTR suit that is within 4 inches of my chest size.

What I recommend is to go MTM or custom. It is the only way to live.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
You are lucky you can even fit into any OTR suits. Because of my arm dimensions, I cannot fit my arms into any OTR suit that is within 4 inches of my chest size.

What I recommend is to go MTM or custom. It is the only way to live.
A 16.5" arm is pretty big for someone w/ a 40" chest like the OP, indeed, and I can see it causing problems w/ jacket fit.

The Brooks Brothers "Suiting Essentials" separates may be worth a try-on. They come in BB's "Regent" (medium-slim) cut.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=660

· Registered
526 Posts
I work out every day and am fortunate to have good genes so that my body type is very fit. I am 5'8, weigh 150 pounds and have a 28 inch waist line. My chest is 40 inches and my arms are 16.5 inches in diameter. My body fat is at 4%.
Do you do much for your legs? Sounds like a lot of upper body.

THE CLOTHING FORUM IS FOR CLOTHING DISCUSSIONS.

I AM TRYING NOT TO MOVE THIS TO THE GROOMING FORUM.

PLEASE HELP ME.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.