Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while I need a tailor, but the one that I've been using has let me down again. Anna's Alterations in Preston Center was a recommendation from my guy at Neiman Marcus, so I tried them, but they seem to ruin anything that needs to be repaired. I took a $400 pair of slacks to them the other day to repair a small hole that was forming at the corner of a pocket and they sewed it up with a quarter sized wad of thread that looks like a spider web! Who does that??? A year or so ago I took a very expensive shirt to them that had a perfect tear that looked like a lengthwise cut on the side. Rather than trying to discreetly patch it from the back or something, they slapped a huge, 5" long, triangular patch on the outside of the shirt that was made of a completely different fabric! I wanted to choke them! If I'm making the effort to try to have an article of clothing repaired, it is obviously something that I feel like I can't live without. It just sucks to have it completely ruined by some place that is supposed to be able to fix it. Neither of these things are wearable OR repairable now! I can't understand why they have such a loyal Park Cities following! Any suggestions???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't really find anything applicable there. For the most part I just need someone to hem pants or replace buttons here and there, but I would like that person to actually be good at what they do. If I need something repaired, I don't want the place to completely ruin my clothes. I want to be able to trust them with an expensive custom garmet without having to worry about whether on not it will make it out alive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think those are custom clothing makers. I know for a fact that Bob Baumann is because he has made a ton of stuff for me. I actually called him and he referred me to Harry's Tailoring, so I guess I'll try them out the next time I need something. He said he would have his guy do anything I needed, but I don't want to have to hassle him every time I need a small job done. I do actually have a suit that needs reweaving, and Bob is coming by to pick it up this week. It's not even one of his suits either. How's that for service!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have been to Harry's just East of Preston Road.

I was very happy with the job he did on some formal wear that I had purchased online.

Have a good friend that reps several clothing lines in Dallas & asked whom he used & he directed me a gentleman named Kamal that owns a store called Gariani located on 15340 Dallas Parkway.

That Belvest suit should be done in 8 days. Truthfully it fit like it was made for me so I don't see how anyone competent could screw it up.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think for things like you write the tailor at Sebastian's Closet is superb. He is as close to a bespoke tailor that you can find. If Chris Despos doesn't make my clothes, I use the guy at SC.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
with regards to duncan quinn, if one is in search of true bespoke, why would one use no one else other than chris despos. There is NO ONE in Dallas who can compare to taste, quality, and fit!!! short of going to NYC or London, one can not do better, and even then i would take chris.

if it is complex alterations you are after, Chano the tailor at Sebastian's Closet is wonderful.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Been a few years but I found Andy's Tailors reliable for shirt sleeve, pant hem/waist/seat, and letting out suit jackets. Inwood near Preston.

For reweaving, Royal Reweave Shoppe at Preston and Royal was where I went, at Neiman's recommendation, and it was fine. However, that was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
You know if you buy an OTR suit. It doesnt fit so you take it to a tailor for adjustments to make it fit you better. Would the suit then be essentially be a MTM suit fit.
I think that depends on how much work you want to have done.

I bought a Zegna sportcoat at Neiman-Marcus that was $1700 marked down to $300, so I had no problem spending another $100 on alterations. That coat was so substantially reworked it's practically MTM.

Of course, since it's not the manufacturer's tailors making the changes, I wouldn't consider it true MTM.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think that depends on how much work you want to have done.

I bought a Zegna sportcoat at Neiman-Marcus that was $1700 marked down to $300, so I had no problem spending another $100 on alterations. That coat was so substantially reworked it's practically MTM.

Of course, since it's not the manufacturer's tailors making the changes, I wouldn't consider it true MTM.
Really, because i bought a 3 piece suit and the suit jacket was a 38inch, but it was really baggy around the chest area. So i took it to a off the street cheap tailor and they are in the process of taking approx 3 inches off the chest area and i was just wondering really. They are not touching the arm bit though, which i think will be a bit baggy still and quite possible out of proportion to the chest area. But that is what you get with cheap tailors. They know im only paying £15 so they wont bother doing the arms.

I hope when i get it back, although it wont be a true MTM suit fit, it will at least look almost like one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.