Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a pocket watch to wear with formal/semi-formal wear. So obviously it should be silver in color.

I would like to avoid paying more than $200. I'm not opposed to buying on ebay. I would like to know some good brands to look at and any other useful information.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a Colbrini of London pocket watch. It is not exceptional, but fits well within your price range, works well and is very attractive to look at. It also opens from both sides and has glass on each face so you can see all the of the gears turn, which is very enjoyable. I later got a double Albert chain and a nice fob for it, but those can be found anywhere.

https://www.milnejewelry.com/Dolan_Bullock/jewelry059.html

That is not the exact model, but it's similar

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nothing looks worse with formal dress then cheap quartz pocket watch. Similar to low rent pre-tied bow tie on the elastic string.
Very inexpensive propper pocket watches can be had for less the $1000 all day long. Go for silver or gold filled Waltham, Elgin, Illinois or any other band quality American watches from early XX century. Very well made, reliable and cheap. You can get a proper watch for $200-$300, may be less ( I am not as familiar with low end watches). Do not buy quartz pocket watch. It is improper and bad taste.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would agree with oktagon - a cheap pocket watch is much worse than none at all. I'd recommend a vintage/antique one. They almost all look good and many can be had in your price range. If you want a fine one that also works great, drive down to Chicago and visit Father Time antiques on Belmont (check out their website), but even a non-functional antique one can look great and can be had for very little.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I would look for a good hamilton myself, I collect old marine chronometers and I have a soft spot for hamilton and YES I WOULD get one off of Ebay. I have to say this one more time - EBAY isn't a destination, its a market. There are a ton of great, honest and knowledgeable folks out their in the time piece arena and if you look at their past sales and ratings etc. you should be able to buy with confidence. Right now the sale of things as non-essential as a vintage pocket watch is off so the buyer has a lot of flexibility. For the higher end Marine Chronometers, the real antiques, many sellers are getting afraid to even put their items up for auction considering the lack of action on the part of buyers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would look for a good hamilton myself, I collect old marine chronometers and I have a soft spot for hamilton and YES I WOULD get one off of Ebay. I have to say this one more time - EBAY isn't a destination, its a market. There are a ton of great, honest and knowledgeable folks out their in the time piece arena and if you look at their past sales and ratings etc. you should be able to buy with confidence. Right now the sale of things as non-essential as a vintage pocket watch is off so the buyer has a lot of flexibility. For the higher end Marine Chronometers, the real antiques, many sellers are getting afraid to even put their items up for auction considering the lack of action on the part of buyers.
Absolutely and if you dig in a little dip you'll probably find a couple of amazing bargains :aportnoy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.