Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.. can anyone recommend a cheap steamer (under $100) that does a good job on dress pants and non-iron shirts? I wear mostly brooks brothers non-iron shirts and while they don't look horrible out of the wash, I still iron them. If I could find a decent steamer to do the same job, that would be great. How are the ones below? Can you recommend any other ones?

https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000MN9DA8

https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00063QMIU

https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000BQRD0I

https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000BQRD0I

thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
I guess you didn't read my recommendation a few weeks ago.

It's not on the Recommendation Page. See the links in the upper left of this page?
Click on the Recommendations Page and look for the Amazon banner with "My Little Steamer" and this (fairly high on the page):
I used to own 5 steamers. I just ordered one of these and then immediately ordered a second one!
It's the best steamer I've found. Hold lots of water (tap) and heats up immediately! Doesn't run out of steam and is so much easier to use that those with an attached tank.
If you would like to help support this site always go to Amazon.com through their banner on this site!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you didn't read my recommendation a few weeks ago.

It's not on the Recommendation Page. See the links in the upper left of this page? Click on the Recommendations Page and look for the Amazon banner with "My Little Steamer" and this (fairly high on the page):
I used to own 5 steamers. I just ordered one of these and then immediately ordered a second one!
It's the best steamer I've found. Hold lots of water (tap) and heats up immediately! Doesn't run out of steam and is so much easier to use that those with an attached tank.
If you would like to help support this site always go to Amazon.com through their banner on this site!!! Thanks.
I did look on that page, but there was no link to the product.. I use Firefox and the link does not show up unless I open the page in IE, which I just did now. That one didn't seem to have good reviews online though.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
I did look on that page, but there was no link to the product.. I use Firefox and the link does not show up unless I open the page in IE, which I just did now. That one didn't seem to have good reviews online though.
drdavidge:

What is the purpose of Firefox if you can't see anything on your screen?

There were three negative reviews of the product. Two thought it would replace their iron :eek:! And the other one complained that it didn't work when it was tilted :eek: :eek: !!

You don't need a University Degree to operate this product, but I guess it doesn't hurt! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drdavidge:

What is the purpose of Firefox if you can't see anything on your screen?

There were three negative reviews of the product. Two thought it would replace their iron :eek:! And the other one complained that it didn't work when it was tilted :eek: :eek: !!

You don't need a University Degree to operate this product, but I guess it doesn't hurt! :icon_smile_big:
Firefox is a great browser.. the reason the link doesn't show up on that page correctly is because the website was built using non-standard code. If you go to the following sites, you can see the errors in the code.. Frontpage is known to produce sketchy code that doesn't take HTML/CSS standards into account. It throws a lot of junk code in there.. as you can see below.

https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator...www.askandyaboutclothes.com/ADVS/Menswear.htm

https://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/ADVS/Menswear.htm

I run a webdesign business so I guess I am sensitive to these things, haha. We have to ensure the websites we build appear identically on all browsers and all operating systems. But you should look into standardizing the code since Firefox has about 22% of the world's browser market share.

As far as the steamer.. you make good points. I can see what you mean. Degrees wouldn't be a bad idea sometimes, haha. I understand that a steamer will never replace an iron, but do you think this steamer would prevent the need for ironing those BB non-iron shirts?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Try a luggage store. The make a travel ones which we have and it works well. However, I also have several Non iron BB and it only takes a few minutes to take care of these shirts. Suggest you buy a good steam iron. We use a rowenta and it works well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Perhaps try Italsteam

I just got a very sketchy travel steamer called Italsteam from a guy at a mall kiosk - I bought it before reading the dismal reviews on Amazon for the same item - though lo and behold, I really love it! I bought it because it takes only about 10 seconds to start steaming and it generates an INSANE amount of steam - more than any steamer I have ever seen.

It is a very quirky thing - it looks and feels like a toy iron, made of ABS plastic rather than metal, so it comes off as uber-cheep. It claims to be made in Italy, but who knows. Also, the instructions call for adding a few pinches of salt to the water tank, which is a bit strange. The cord has a Euro plug and it comes with a US adapter. It is plug and go, no switches or anything. it will run standing up or lying flat, but if you place it on it's side it immediately shuts off, a nice safety measure.

After about 5 minutes of steam, the thing is dry, so refill often (not like it matters, it takes all of 7 seconds to get to full power again). When cleaning out the iron, the water is a deep brown with a grainy sand in it - very strange indeed. Some of the amazon reviews said this is rust, I assume it is just the burned salt brine. I guess the salt is supposed to make the water boil faster? The wattage rating is lower in the US than the EU, and the instructions say to add 3 times as much salt in the US. Presumably this means that the steam is lower in temperature as well, though it seems to work wonders anyway.

Probably won't replace a full power steamer for regular laundry and ironing, just because you have to refill it so darn much. You can also get it for a much better price online than at a mall kiosk. In a world of checked baggage fees, a compact & powerful combo device like this is a must have for the carry-on traveler - I'd give it the thumbs up :aportnoy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I am recalling high school science (eons ago) correctly, the salt should increase the boiling temperature, which is why you use it to cook rice (higher boiling point means the rice gets more heat and cooks faster), and similarly, should mean that your steam is hotter.

I just got a very sketchy travel steamer called Italsteam from a guy at a mall kiosk - I bought it before reading the dismal reviews on Amazon for the same item - though lo and behold, I really love it! I bought it because it takes only about 10 seconds to start steaming and it generates an INSANE amount of steam - more than any steamer I have ever seen.

It is a very quirky thing - it looks and feels like a toy iron, made of ABS plastic rather than metal, so it comes off as uber-cheep. It claims to be made in Italy, but who knows. Also, the instructions call for adding a few pinches of salt to the water tank, which is a bit strange. The cord has a Euro plug and it comes with a US adapter. It is plug and go, no switches or anything. it will run standing up or lying flat, but if you place it on it's side it immediately shuts off, a nice safety measure.

After about 5 minutes of steam, the thing is dry, so refill often (not like it matters, it takes all of 7 seconds to get to full power again). When cleaning out the iron, the water is a deep brown with a grainy sand in it - very strange indeed. Some of the amazon reviews said this is rust, I assume it is just the burned salt brine. I guess the salt is supposed to make the water boil faster? The wattage rating is lower in the US than the EU, and the instructions say to add 3 times as much salt in the US. Presumably this means that the steam is lower in temperature as well, though it seems to work wonders anyway.

Probably won't replace a full power steamer for regular laundry and ironing, just because you have to refill it so darn much. You can also get it for a much better price online than at a mall kiosk. In a world of checked baggage fees, a compact & powerful combo device like this is a must have for the carry-on traveler - I'd give it the thumbs up :aportnoy:

·
Registered
88 Posts
True

Salt does raise the boiling temperature, but salt water takes more energy to evaporate than regular water (seperating the dissolved salt takes additional energy). Adding salt to water that is already boiling will cause it to boil more vigorously (as salt dissolving into water should add heat to the reaction), and let off more steam - in any case, there is probably more at work here - if you do not add salt to the water, the iron will not even turn on (it won't even start to feel warm). Perhaps it relies on the conductivity of the water to heat it? I can't recall anything from chemistry class on that one...

The esteam gets top reviews though - traveling less than a week I use a VERY small carry-on (I inevitably get a flight leg on a tiny regional jet, so it fits in the overhead) so it is a little too large for me. I have a small, easily packed squarish steamer by American Tourister that works alright (~$20), though it takes a while to heat up.

As far as irons that do not steam, Brookstone has a very, very tiny one - no idea how well it works, but they were having a sale last time I was there.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just used "My Little Steamer", the one I recommend on these pages:

Andy's Recommendations PageAsk Andy Selected Merchants for Menswear, Shoes, and Grooming

I use it almost everyday. It really works well and I don't have to pull around a tank and it's big enough (although hand held) that you never run out of steam!
Andy,

I have been thinking about getting a steamer for awhile, since I saw the tv add for the Tobi, which looks pretty nice. With the price of dry cleaning, I was thinking of washing my own shirts, and getting a steamer to take the wrinkles out. Also, I have a wonderful pair of Venanzi cotton pjs that need ironing, which my wife refuses to do, and I am unable to do. Will the steamer really, really, take wrinkles out of washed shirts and other cotton items, as well as out of the crease lines on suit pants? My wife says "no" they don't do that good a job, just keep sending stuff out. I would value your opinion of this.

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.