Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new batch of grosgrains from CentralWatch. I've always received silver buckles from them until now. 3 of them were gold. Was it because of the bands I ordered? Or was it just random.

I guess I could swap them out, I have so many silver buckles - but is is a major faux pas to have a gold watch buckle and silver watch. Or is this classic GTH style?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Just got a new batch of grosgrains from CentralWatch. I've always received silver buckles from them until now. 3 of them were gold. Was it because of the bands I ordered? Or was it just random.

I guess I could swap them out, I have so many silver buckles - but is is a major faux pas to have a gold watch buckle and silver watch. Or is this classic GTH style?
I'm pretty sure it's random. As to whether it's a faux pas or GTH, I'd vote neither. It's just a gold buckle with a silver watch. Honestly, nobody's going to notice, and those who do really won't care.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Manton has said that it is ok to mix metals.
Yes he has. But I bet he would say it isn't okay in this situation. Mixing metals up and down your person is one thing (I still don't like it), but mixing metals on the same piece is another all together; avoid a gold watch-band buckle like the plague if the watch itself is silver.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think that since the grosgrain is a casual watch band, that mixing metals is fine.

Also, the "gold" on central straps wears away pretty quickly, turning a dull silvery color.

On any other type of watch band or leather strap, I would probably avoid metal mixing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.