Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My wife and I will be travelling to Boston in April for a long weekend. I last visited Boston in 2000, so I'm really looking forward to going back. I was travelling on business and didn't get to see any sights.

However, my wife has never been. I would be very grateful for any restaurant, hotel, sight-seeing tips. I have also posted on this forum, because I want to get an idea of shops that she might like. We are both in our early 30s.

Many thanks in advance,
Bolaji

PS: Any tips on menswear stores will also be welcome!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You might want to search the Trad forum. There have been a few threads devoted to Boston and Cambridge, Mass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, I've only visited Boston once and I don't know any small quality boutiques, shirt makers or tailors. But for classic RTW pieces, I can definitely recommend the chains AnnTaylor, J.Crew and Brooks Brothers (which of course all can be found in any US city). For bargain hunting Marshalls, Filene's basement and TJMaxx are great, since they sell designer pieces for at least 50% off. Luxury clothing is represented by Saks 5th avenue. All these shops are found in the Back Bay area and most also downtown.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Visit Newbury St. and Boylston St. in the Back Bay. In addition to most of the names you would recognize (Brooks, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Talbots) you will also find a number of small boutiques ranging from well-known designers to one-of-a-kind shops. Louis-Boston (mentioned above) is also here.

Enjoy your visit to our fine city!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
While we haven't in a few years, my wife and I used to hit the theater near China Town a few times a year. You could always catch a package deal on an off-Broadway show and decent hotel room for short money.

Boston has a great food scene, there are a lot of fantastic eats.

-spence

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

Last time I was there, I stayed at the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge and walked into the Newbury Street area. Will definitely have a look at the Parker House rates.

Hmm, Legal Seafoods. Now, where do I start? I am definitely looking forward to going back there. Which reminds me, I must burn off some calories in anticipation for all that seafood.

Thanks once again,
Bolaji

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I second Legal Seafoods as a worthwhile New England experience. The food is always very good and the seafood excellent even considering it's more of a chain experience. Legal is a great lunch spot as they typically have a lot of large windows so you can see what's going on outside.

-spence

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You might have better luck describing what kind of clothing stores you are looking for. Louis is indeed, a great store, but relatively high priced, so be ready. The outlet stores at Wrentham Village are worth it for sure, but you'll need a car. I am not sure why all the recommendations for Legal, its basically an upscale Red Lobster, and a chain found in many places. Mind you, the food is decent, but I'd probably eat elsewhere. Faneuil Hall area is great for working, and there are actually much better seafood restaurants in the vicinty than Legal!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am not sure why all the recommendations for Legal, its basically an upscale Red Lobster, and a chain found in many places. Mind you, the food is decent, but I'd probably eat elsewhere. Faneuil Hall area is great for working, and there are actually much better seafood restaurants in the vicinty than Legal!
Agreed. The fact that there is a Legal in the airport tells you just about everything you need to know. Food isn't bad, but it ain't great, either, and the wine list is distinctly lacking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might have better luck describing what kind of clothing stores you are looking for. Louis is indeed, a great store, but relatively high priced, so be ready. The outlet stores at Wrentham Village are worth it for sure, but you'll need a car. I am not sure why all the recommendations for Legal, its basically an upscale Red Lobster, and a chain found in many places. Mind you, the food is decent, but I'd probably eat elsewhere. Faneuil Hall area is great for working, and there are actually much better seafood restaurants in the vicinty than Legal!
Hey gnatty,

Please feel free to drop names on those restaurants. I'm more than willing to conduct a survey on their quality as opposed to Legal Seafoods. ;-)

Now, regarding shops. My wife loves shoes. Louboutins being a clear favourite. Bags and tops (dressy or T-shirts).

To all intents and purposes, this post is for my wife, but I intend to spend some time on Newbury Street. I'm always on the look-out for shoes (Santonis where possible), pocket-squares and sunglasses (really want to have a look at Barton Pereirra and SALT, as I have not seen any of those yet in the UK).

Regards,
Bolaji

Oh, EP, thanks for that link.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't had a chance to visit the city, but a well-dressed friend who lives in the area swears by Louis Boston. I've heard mixed reviews on the service, but I imagine it's worth a look.
Louis Boston went out of business not too long ago. All thier merchandise can be found at Filene's Basement in Newton. If you like seafood go to The Barking Crab or Oyster House. The latter is where JFK had his own booth back in the day and a place John Kerry frequents, the best oysters and chowder in my opinion. The best lobster bisque can be had at The Harvard Club but you need to be a member or have reciprocity from your private club. If you Like steak, I reccoment Abe & Louie's or Capitol Grille (not cheap but well worth it). If you've been to Newbury St then you should know the Coply area, take your wife to Copley Mall/Prudential Center. If you like Trad, go to Andover Shop & J. Press in Harvard Sq. (where I live;)) and if you're on a budget check out Keezer's. They have great suits brand new and used by all the top names at amazing prices. Their website has directions and coupons. If you have a car and like outlet shopping drive down to Wrentham, then enjoy a sunset in Cape Cod. Anything else, just ask. Have fun!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Louis Boston went out of business not too long ago. All thier merchandise can be found at Filene's Basement in Newton.
I was at Louis on Saturday - they are certainly not out of business. They did ship a lot of their fall stock to Filene's Basement (as they often do, once the season ends).

They are, however, planning to move from their flagship location, having declared that Newbury Street had become too corporate. I'm not sure what the timetable is for the move.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was at Louis on Saturday - they are certainly not out of business. They did ship a lot of their fall stock to Filene's Basement (as they often do, once the season ends).

They are, however, planning to move from their flagship location, having declared that Newbury Street had become too corporate. I'm not sure what the timetable is for the move.
My bad, I was going off of unverified info a buddy gave me...oh well.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.