Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to do a search but there appears to have been a dearth of conversation on this topic.

I am in the market for a good pair of winter gloves. I have browsed the usual suspects: B2, Press, etc. but to be honest I am not very knowledgeable in regards to what to look for. Does anyone here have any advice and/or suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been happy with Geier Gloves (https://www.geierglove.com ). They are a traditional American company that sells very reasonably priced, numbered sized, robust, USA made gloves. Although their website plays up the company's focus on work and equestrian markets, their semi-dress deerskin are elegant enough for my
tastes... although I did also consider the slide buckle version as it seemed an interesting feature.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can find just about anything you want short of custom at www.leatherglovesonline.com. The gloves offered are good and the service (questions, advice, refund, change order) was very good in my experience. Measurements were on with what they recommended. Do you have any more specifics for people to help? What features are you looking for?

pbc

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any more specifics for people to help? What features are you looking for?
I am not sure what I am looking for to be honest beyond a pair of dressy, brown, classically styled, and well-made winter gloves. I have browsed a number of options: nappa leather, deerskin, lambskin, peccary leather, cashmere lining, fur lining, silk lining, various synthetic linings, etc. I am lost as to the pros and cons of the various permutations.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
How much chu wanna pay? How rough will you be on them? Do you swing from monkey bars in the playground in mid Feb.?

Top of the line country gentry are of peccary, or javelina, a pig-like animal from the SW U.S, Latin America and South America. Usually in shades of brown or tan, it's also used in shoes in Europe. Also sometimes called hogskin or boarskin. Historically sourced from Europe but there have been increasing U.S. sources from Peru. The skin has evident bristle pores and is usually matte finished, no sheen. Relatively expensive. I'd check out a U.S.-eBay seller in Germany for advantageous pricing. I've forgotten the name, do an eBay search for peccary gloves. They used to sell them, delivered, for about 1/2 the U.S. retail price or less of basically the same glove as were found in ye olde tyme men's speciality shoppes.

Better dress gloves can be of deer, lamb or calf. Expensive ones will be of "cape" which probably isn't really. Depending on location, I'd check Marshalls/Maxx although their selection has been disappointing in recent years. I used to pick up relatively expensive gloves for less than $20 a pair. The last I noticed, better Marshalls had good Italian made dress gloves for around $40 a pair.

With casual, machine sewn sportswear gloves I'd look for somewhat thicker calf versions. Deerskin is a luxury within this genre (he, he, he).

Most, if not all, of the old line U.S. commercial (dept. store) brands now have their gloves made in the Phillipines or China. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Stitching: I prefer the obvious hand-pick stitching of those illustrated below. Usually a quick indication of some quality as they are more expensive to construct. Some gloves have "blind" stitching in which the sewing is hidden within the fingers. You may consider it a dressier look. A third type is obvious machine sewing of the seams. It's a matter of preference rather than function.

www.paulstuart.com usually has a handsome selection of gloves for you to compare styles, if not purchase

Apologies for the photo size. Here's some black peccary I sold a few years ago on eBay. They'd probably now be approaching $400 at retail. Hand-sewn with chamois suede linings. No, I'm not suggesting anyone pay that much, but Hermes are even waaaay more expensive. Used them to illustrate hand stitching on the edges and back.

If you get some thin enough, stuff them fingers-up in your sport coat chest pocket when not wearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.