• Black

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Brown

Votes: 22 91.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
You board the China Clipper at Government Island, Alameda. Claire Chennault is glaring at a pile of documents atop his equally weathered, brown attache case. It seems @ two squadrons of his 200 Kittyhawks will arrive with the british .303 wing guns and one with .30 US guns.But the nose .50s count and it's just one more headache, nothing more.

A french coffee bean buyer is looking good in white with his new panama hat. It will serve him well in Sumatra and on to Africa. His case is coffeebean brown too.

This stiff looking prussian almost marches to his seat. He looks uncomfortable in the black leather trenchcoat framed italian faille tie gifted by El Duche himself in Rome.The handcuffed black case he just received, locked from the Consulate braces a dictionary in gothic script and japanese.

Unseen, pulling his fedora down is Professor Jones, brown jacket, brown archaeologist field bag with a 1911 commercial ( brown double diamond walnut grips) in a brown, lawrence holster and brown whip. His tie is black poplin, but fitting for the zen monastery as badge of a student vs senior monk in brown. A monk renewing old friendships to pass into safety an old text refuting the Prestor John myth.

The Pan Am copilot walks down the aisle, carrying his brown chartcase. he accidentaly bumps into the german, deftly switching the dictionary fallen to the floor with another; the one substituting " your mother blows snot bubbles" in japanese for " Honoured master, the text merely shows germans have a long..."

Good guys use brown.

·
Registered
679 Posts
May I ask, are you paying full price for these?

They do look nice, but I wonder about the Economic concept of "utilization," or as it is commonly referred to, "the bang for the buck."

I'm no expert, but it seems to me you could get something just as nice (all right, maybe almost as nice) that would do the job and would be a lot cheaper.

Just my $0.02.

--Chase

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's quite the bag... while I like the design, I personally went with a David King 300 recently and am pleased, by and large.

I would have preferred if it had a small outside or side pocket for keys and wallet, and it has a reinforced bottom, which I don't need, but the leather is nice and it looks like it cost more than it did. A big step up from a nylon gym bag.

I also bought a matching messenger bag for off-days.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Black attack

:icon_smile:
Wow, not a single vote for black! I'm leaning towards brown, but I would think that black is more versatile, because it would go with any outfit? True or no?
Well, I may be odd man out, but black, in my opinion, is more practical for at least two reasons: You can wear it with anything and it won't show wear and stains as readily as the "brown." The brown looks more British tan to me, and it is indeed a beautiful look.

So it really comes down to how you will be using it. If you are going to be using it in town, even if you would only be carrying it to the car or train, go with black. If you would be using it in the suburbs or country, go with brown, as you will probably be wearing more casual togs.

That said, I carry a British tan brief case no matter what I'm wearing, simply because I like the color better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
May I ask, are you paying full price for these?

They do look nice, but I wonder about the Economic concept of "utilization," or as it is commonly referred to, "the bang for the buck."

I'm no expert, but it seems to me you could get something just as nice (all right, maybe almost as nice) that would do the job and would be a lot cheaper.

Just my $0.02.

--Chase
Hey Chase, I plan on paying full price, because I do believe I'm getting a good bang for the buck. ;-)

There's a few reasons:

1. Originally, I was looking at bags from Brooks Brothers, Louis Vuitton, Coach, etc. Most of the styles I liked were all way way expensive (in the thousands) for the quality. You pay more for the brand name and marketing, than you do for the bag itself. I spent a lot of time researching various bags until I found Glaser Designs on the forums.

2. Another reason I'm choosing to go with Glaser Designs is that they're made locally here in San Francisco. I've emailed the owners directly and they've been very responsible. I'm visiting the showroom soon to see their complete line. So it makes me feel slightly better than my money's going to the local economy, and direct to the craftsmen.

3. The reviews of the Glaser bags have all been stellar, attesting to their durability.There are perhaps durable bags (like Filson's canvas bags) that are cheaper. And while I like some of they're styling, I'm not a huge fan. It's too bad they don't have a better all-leather line.

If you have any counter recommendations, let me know!

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you have any counter recommendations, let me know!
Well, around here, we have outlet stores. (I believe outlet stores now exist in virtually every part of the country.)

I can't speak to the type of bag that you're looking at, but I do know I got the exact briefcase I wanted in a Leather Goods Store in an outlet mall for about 2/3 off what it would have cost in a "nice store."

Perhaps a little more shopping around is in order?

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:icon_smile:

Well, I may be odd man out, but black, in my opinion, is more practical for at least two reasons: You can wear it with anything and it won't show wear and stains as readily as the "brown." The brown looks more British tan to me, and it is indeed a beautiful look.

So it really comes down to how you will be using it. If you are going to be using it in town, even if you would only be carrying it to the car or train, go with black. If you would be using it in the suburbs or country, go with brown, as you will probably be wearing more casual togs.

That said, I carry a British tan brief case no matter what I'm wearing, simply because I like the color better.
Perhaps I should get both! ;-)

I do live in San Francisco, which is, dare I say, more "metropolitan" that "coutnry. So I wonder if black would indeed be appropriate. On the other hand, brown might be more unexpected here in the city of free love. Thus, more distinctive. Do you think black might be too assuming?

Also, Glaser sent me new leather samples, and it looks like they are changing the standard color from walnut leather to "chestnut" leather. Comparing to what I see online, it doesn't look like a huge difference.

It's also available in an "espresso" calfskin, which is incredible beautiful. But also twice as expensive. :-( It's also softer, so perhaps less durable.

Oh, the dilemmas!

·
Registered
117 Posts
They have been slow on updating their website. The kind of leather in the pictures that you show the forumites is no longer available for more than a year. The current offering for regular full grain leather is from the mid West; the calf skin version is sourced from Italy, hence the big price difference due to weak dollars. By the way, the calf skin is nice and soft, but no less durable than the regular full grain, accordingly to Myron Glaser.

You can't lose with either kind, albeit they do not offer any discount. FWIW, I paid full retail for mine. Frankly, they are nicer than they look on the website.

Luckyguy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They have been slow on updating their website. The kind of leather in the pictures that you show the forumites is no longer available for more than a year. The current offering for regular full grain leather is from the mid West; the calf skin version is sourced from Italy, hence the big price difference due to weak dollars. By the way, the calf skin is nice and soft, but no less durable than the regular full grain, accordingly to Myron Glaser.

You can't lose with either kind, albeit they do not offer any discount. FWIW, I paid full retail for mine. :aportnoy: Frankly, they are nicer than they look on the website.

Luckyguy
Are you happy with yours?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.