Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one choose which Oxxford model one wants? In other words, is there a large retail location that would carry most of the models in various sizes that you could try on?

The retail locations in my area do not carry a lot of Oxxfords in my size, generally a 38. Even if they do have my size, it is most likely limited to one model. The paper diagrams of the various models are not helpful, even if they are available.

It is hard to spend thousands of dollars on an Oxxford if one cannot even try on the size and model that one thinks that one wants. One of the benefits of Oxxford over bespoke, it seems, is the ability to try on a standard size and model and see how it looks and if you want it. Is there any way to do this other than the trial and error method of ordering a particular size and model and then determining how you like it? If not, then it seems as if one of the primary benefits of an Oxxford is lost.

Once you have a model and size that suits you, and a process for altering the garment even further for a perfect fit, it seems easy to explore different fabrics and details. However, the first step of picking a model and size that fits you, and is consistent with the look you are going for, seems to be difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You could start by going to Oxxfords website and looking at photos and reading a detailed description of each one with perhaps suggestions for the kind of frame it would look best on. You could do this if Oxxford had this kind of information but unfortunately they don't. Why they don't is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oxxford makes my sport coats and suits. I purchase through Sak's Men's Store in Chicago because they don't sell direct but go to the factory for determining what i want, fabric and fitting.
By the time your ready to spend the $$'s for OXXford, knowing what you want helps as they will make whatever you want. If your looking for a suit off the rack, then purchasing and paying for an Oxxford is a little overkill.
I would put together what you want in a suit down to the last detail and then have Oxxford build what you want.-Dick

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It might be beneficial for you to contact Oxxford and find out where they will be holding a trunk show close to you, or someplace that you would travel to. Also discuss with them what you are looking for in a suit and perhaps they would bring some appropriate models in your size to the trunk show . The mens store at which it is held may also have something you would like but that is a gamble. If you contact them by phone or e mail and communicate that you are serious about making a purchase, I would think they would try to accomodate you. The worst they can do is say no. Maybe Mark S will chime in here with his opinion on the best way to proceed. He knows them well, I believe.( I do find the dearth of information on their website frustrating)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions. I guess that we are all striving for perfection here, and sometimes that is difficult to achieve. Perhaps the journey is better than the final destination. However, I would like the final destination to be as good as possible with as little travel as is reasonable.

I agree that a more comprehensive website would be helpful, especially for customers who are new to the Oxxford experience. Everything is over the web these days, including this forum. It seems as if the benefits of expanding the website would be greater than the costs and would leader to more new customers and greater sales.

Knowing what you want and how to communicate it is helpful. However, sometimes I do not know what I want until I wear it. Maybe this is a lack of imagination. Still, I think that being able to try on various Oxxford models in your size would be helpful to new customers deciding what they want or older customers looking for change, even if there were only one or two places in the country that offered the experience and you had to travel to get there.

The trunk shows are a good idea. Perhaps they would bring additional sizes and models to the truck show. Also, you would have a more knowledgeable sales person there. Thank you again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oxxford is still in the 20th century, not that its bad but that's just the way it is.
I'm not trying to be difficult but if you really don't know what you require, then purchasing Oxxford may be a waste of time and money. A bespoke garment requires a number of fittings and then a possible remake after the final garment is delivered. If not experienced with the problems and delays of bespoke whatever it is, you may be frustrated. Purchasing at an Oxxford trunk show from stock is a good suggestion but its an expensive alternative to other MTM.
I too like the journey and after the acquisition, its on to the next thing so if you are in that vein, good luck!-Dick

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are going to buy a $4000 suit retail, any merchant should be able to give you an honest appraisal of what is right for you. If you are going discount, make sure the merchant allows returns and buy a bunch and let your tailor (I assume you have a good one) be the judge.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
1. Oxxford sells through retailers. Generally, the retailers are the best in their given town or region. You should be getting the best that your area offers in clothes and tailoring.

2. You should deal with the owner or manager or head tailor. Discuss your issues as to trying-on a couple of different models. They should be able to guide you as to whether the model would compliment you. They may be able to get a couple of models from Oxxford for try-on and measuring. You have to be able to trust the store since it is selling and servicing the product.

3. Oxxford has a model book with line drawings. Pictures do not equal acutal try-ons, but they can give some ideas.

4. See if your local store has a trunk show. Either Mike Cohen or Scott Rerup will attend. They can get you fitted, and they will know what model will work for you.

5. Don't get caught-up too much with the differences between the models. Aside from the extremes of a three button sack suit versus a tapered Italian style suit, there is not that much variation between the popular models, i.e., Gibbons, Ownesia, Mason, and Radcliff. If one model works for you, stick with it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you are going to buy a $4000 suit retail, any merchant should be able to give you an honest appraisal of what is right for you.
This is very much untrue. Sales associates at high-end stores are often poorly informed; they are also motivated to make a sale. Sometimes they will give you an honest appraisal or an informed appraisal--but an honest, informed appraisal is rare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.