Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
i don't know what stores are in california but i'd say to get a navy blue and a gray suit. if you're physically fit, i think that a double vent would look good on the coat. if you're horizontally challenged, you may want to get a single vent on the coat.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I want my first real suit. Where should I get it and what specifically?
I still remember my first suit - it was a 3-piece from John Henry and it was pastel green. I was six. :)

My first real suit was probably an Evan-Picone, from a store that thought Hart Schaffner & Marx was the best thing ever.

I still remember walking into Brooks Brothers twenty years ago, having the salesman in the suit department greet me for the first time with "43 Medium Long!" He was right, although now I'm a 48 trying to get back to a 46, and they don't do Medium Longs anymore.

The most important piece of advice I can give is that the fewer of something you have, the more conservative it should be. If you pick out a glen-check or chalk stripes or a multicoloured houndstooth, it will probably look wonderful but it will be memorable for those people who see you in it every time the occasion calls for a suit.

So my vote goes for solid navy or grey. Solid black is useful for funerals or black-tie-optional events if you don't have a tuxedo, but otherwise it makes one look like a mortician.

I think Brooks Brothers has a good suit, and Nordstrom has incredible sales twice a year. A small, private, high-end mens' shop will give you excellent service, good advice, and build a relationship that could last a lifetime, but their suits will almost always be over $1,000.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still remember my first suit - it was a 3-piece from John Henry and it was pastel green. I was six. :)

My first real suit was probably an Evan-Picone, from a store that thought Hart Schaffner & Marx was the best thing ever.

I still remember walking into Brooks Brothers twenty years ago, having the salesman in the suit department greet me for the first time with "43 Medium Long!" He was right, although now I'm a 48 trying to get back to a 46, and they don't do Medium Longs anymore.

The most important piece of advice I can give is that the fewer of something you have, the more conservative it should be. If you pick out a glen-check or chalk stripes or a multicoloured houndstooth, it will probably look wonderful but it will be memorable for those people who see you in it every time the occasion calls for a suit.

So my vote goes for solid navy or grey. Solid black is useful for funerals or black-tie-optional events if you don't have a tuxedo, but otherwise it makes one look like a mortician.

I think Brooks Brothers has a good suit, and Nordstrom has incredible sales twice a year. A small, private, high-end mens' shop will give you excellent service, good advice, and build a relationship that could last a lifetime, but their suits will almost always be over $1,000.
Good read. I'm looking at BB suits and the 1818 seems to be the more affordable suit. Which fit should I go with?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Good read. I'm looking at BB suits and the 1818 seems to be the more affordable suit. Which fit should I go with?
That's really up to you. I'd definitely ask the advice of the salesperson, and try on several. Regardless of how many suits you have, this is not a situation to be taken lightly. It only gets easier as you go on if you've found the style you like and you know where to get it and what needs to be done to alter it.

Some styles might just not work with your shape - the armholes might be uncomfortable, the correct size might be too tight across the chest but the next size up is too baggy. And if you've got broad, square shoulders, every jacket is going to give you a little roll in the back of the collar that's easily fixed.

I don't know that Brooks does anything with a double vent, although you're probably tall enough to carry it off. Men shorter than 5'6" wearing outfits with a bit of sartorial eccentricity can look like mannequins.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Ah yes, the problem with everything flashy is that after it is worn once, it becomes novelty thereafter.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I would recommend the Paul Stuart Web site, but all they seem to be offering are slim fit suits. I don't know how your feel about them, the slim fit suits, but I suggest you get a traditional fitting suit, something that will definitely last you.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
...get a navy blue and a gray suit...
Tough to go wrong with either of these.
...if you're physically fit, i think that a double vent would look good on the coat. if you're horizontally challenged, you may want to get a single vent on the coat.
Good advice here, but I usually leave the single vent hooked...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
...Solid black is useful for funerals or black-tie-optional events if you don't have a tuxedo, but otherwise it makes one look like a mortician...
I do not recommend a solid black suit for daytime business in the USA unless one of the glamour industries, but a solid black (or the darkest navy you can stand, as Manton says) SB PL side-vent is quite desirable for evening social and is on my wish list.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Regent or Fitzgerald. I am 5'10" and 150 pounds. The Fitz fits me like a glove. Wait for the semi annual sale. You will save about $400. Go try them on. Make sure you feel comfortable with the tailor as well. Remember, it's your suit not his.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I still say that a custom suit is the way to go. Not much more expensive, if any, and it will fit you like a glove. I can't tell you how many times I've spent a ton of money on an OTR suit that did't fit exactly right even after tailoring. Plus you get to pick the fabric, the lining, the style, buttons... everything!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd agree not anything too flashy, probably a notched lapel, two button front for your build, and either single or double vents. make sure the shoulders fit well, they are the hardest to alter. Or, as suggested, go custom, it is the best fit, best options. If your going to be wearing the suit semi-regularly avoid too delicate of a fabric, like a high super count or cashmere blend, and look for canvassing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
There is a lot of wiggle room in between what one percieves a "traditional" cut suit to be and an extreme slim-cut/skinny suit. Some people think that there is just one or the other. All of my suits are moderately slimmer than most suits, but yet are not over the top and are still accepted in the work place. A nice slightly slim suit will never go out of style.

As the others have said, go with gray/charcoal or navy with dual side vents. I would go with flat front pants, but that is just my preference. The best piece of advice I can give you is to shop around and don't feel too pressured to buy something if you aren't sure about it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Regent or Fitzgerald. I am 5'10" and 150 pounds. The Fitz fits me like a glove. Wait for the semi annual sale. You will save about $400. Go try them on. Make sure you feel comfortable with the tailor as well. Remember, it's your suit not his.
This is excellent to hear. I'm about 5'10" and 160, and I've been eyeing the Fitzgerald for quite some time. I'll definitely wait for the sale and save significant money, and figure out what my body's shape will be like after going through basic training for the Navy. Pair the Fitz with some of the skinnier ties that have been coming back into vogue recently... and voila! A perfect look for a thin me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.