Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meant to post this last week, but forgot until seeing the Georgia/Alabama game tonight. Props to 'bama for the way they handled Georgia.

However, as to my point - I attended the ASU - Georgia game here in Arizona last week and was quite impressed with the overall style of the male Georgia fans. Almost all wore what I would consider trad football fan attire - UGA polo shirt, flat-front khaki shorts, visor and tennis shoes.

This is in stark contrast to the standard ASU football fan attire of t-shirt or jersey, cargo shorts, baseball hat and flip-flops.

Is this standard practice in Georgia/SEC football schools? If so, I'm impressed.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should mention that having done my undergrad at a small private school in Michigan, I've attended my fair share of games when I was dressed decently - khaki's, OCBD's, even a tie on occasion.

However, after nearly 20-years of watching PAC-10 football, you forget that anyone ever dresses for games, especially when the weather is hot.

Nice to see it still happens in some places.

· Registered
280 Posts
I attended Auburn for undergrad and a Pac-10 school for my masters, I was in shock when I saw what the student body was wearing at my first game out west.
Most everyone dresses the way the OP described on game day in the SEC. The fraternities will wear coat and tie to the home games at most all schools in the southeast.

· Registered
208 Posts
I attended Auburn for undergrad and a Pac-10 school for my masters, I was in shock when I saw what the student body was wearing at my first game out west.
Most everyone dresses the way the OP described on game day in the SEC. The fraternities will wear coat and tie to the home games at most all schools in the southeast.
I attended a SE Conf game last year between UGA and VU. The kids from UGA all seemed to wear red poplin polo or ocbd (white) and red wings. It was after labor day but still warm- however when we stopped by my fraternity house before the game, I was pleased to see our pledges still wore coats and ties. Alabama has a few university shops and you see a ton of unusual uses of maroon (some synthetic some natural fibers).
UT games are similar, it can get kind of....windsuits (orange) with matching shoes would not be the worstyou will see in the conf- but some of the greeks still require attendance and proper attire. I attend many S.E.C. games in my hometown and many alum or adult fans wear a jacket if the weather is in the 60's or some sport variation of an ocbd with khakis. It really depends on the school and the weather. You will see some of the best and worst dressed adults,outside of a political convention, on gameday in the south.

· Registered
165 Posts
I went to UF and I have to confess that we are among the worst-dressed (at games anyway) in the SEC.
I'll second that (although I attend FSU, so any time I can bash the Gators I will), and the attire UF fans wear is sort of a running joke in Tallahassee.

But even FSU is hit or miss. Students from the panhandle, Greeks, or from other southern states like Alabama, Georgia, or Virginia, dress well for game days. Kids from south Florida look like they just came from the beach.

I actually had this conversation with my fiance yesterday. We were shopping and happen to see three UGA college students who where Tri-Delt's, and one mentioned that she still had two game day dresses that she hadn't worn this season. This was completely lost on fiance, as she didn't understand why you'd wear a dress to a game. But then again, she attended the University of Miami.

· Registered
484 Posts
Darth Saban handed it to us last night. I'm in mourning.

Most SEC and some ACC schools (Clemson/UVA/UNC) treat their football games as events - events that require proper attire. This year I've seen quite a bit of , as well as embroidered pants (and it's still hot outside).

I had to fly to Phoenix last Monday, and our gate at PHX was the return trip to ATL. It was a sea of red - just as OP had described - UGA polo shirts, flat front shorts, loafers/tennis shoes...

Glory, glory...

· Registered
625 Posts
Most University of Texas fans dress as the ASU fans mentioned in the OP. A few fraternities and other organizations go for the "cowboy" thing with boots and khakis/jeans. Must be the weather. At least it's what I remember wearing to games . . .ah, the privileges of youth.

· Registered
108 Posts
One walk down Lumpkin is all it takes to see the trad influence. At the fraternity tailgates, I'd challenge you to find a pair of shorts or a non-tucked in shirt. Loafers and wellingtons are the standard footwear. Headwear is rare, but visors can be seen scattered about. Good food, good music, and good people make for quite the classy SEC football experience. Boy do I love it here.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course, I did enter the stadium last week right behind Mike "Big Dawg" Woods, so there at least some Georgia fans don't dress like they're headed to a golf match :icon_smile:

https://media.www.redandblack.com/m....Awards.big.Dawg.With.super.Fan-2729397.shtml

I didn't know who he was, but lots of people were getting their pictures taken with him. I probably should have done so myself. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

· Registered
635 Posts
Students and alums at UGA have not changed much since I graduated in '86 (thankfully). Still very tradly, nicely dressed for football games. As someone said before, it is an event. Some with ties (red/black repp), others with nice slacks, chinos, ocbd, etc. Nice as an adult to come back and still see that.

GO DAWGS!

If lucky, maybe we will get a rematch with Bama in the SEC championship!

Tom

· Registered
191 Posts
War Eagle!

I'm quickly approaching 40 and still feel obligated to dress up to go to a game. Although at Saturday's game versus Tennessee it was close to 90 degrees. Still wore a navy polo, khaki shorts and Sperry's to the game. When weather is warmer I always wear khakis and a nice button down. Leave the ties for the college kids. I just can't imagine not dressing well to go to a game.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Although I didn't go to Vanderbilt, I lived in Nashville for many years and was a season ticket holder at Vanderbilt, both football and basketball. The fans were essentially divided into two groups, the diehard fans, also referred to as the "sidewalk alumni", and the students.

As might be expected the students tended to wear the preppy attire, but often seemed to have little interest in the game. They would arrive late and leave early, seemingly more interested in fraternity goings on than the game. Not all students, but the majority. This complacent attitude appeared to be changing back in 1982, but it didn't last.

The sidewalk alumni, usually in attire such as jeans, black and gold sweatshirts and jackets, and Vandy ball caps were there early, stayed late, and far outnumbered the students. Just from the conversations in the stands, these fans were often embarrassed by the lack of interest in the ball game shown by the better attired student body. I suspect that this may have been more indicative of Vandy than the other SEC schools.

Even though I don't live in Nashville now I'm still a Vandy fan as long as they aren't playing my alma mater which, incidentally, has won every football game they have ever played against Vandy. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

· Registered
93 Posts
Nebraska Fans and Hokie Fans

Had a chance to go to Lincoln, NE for a great inter-sectional game of the Va Tech Hokies vs. the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Cornhusker fans wear A LOT OF RED... I MEAN A LOT. There were a few spotings of black in honor of the "black shirt defense." Seems that some guys wear these red and white striped overalls that were really funny looking. Nothing else stood out... khakis, jeans, shorts, etc.

As for me and my 10 year old son, we wore ORANGE t-shirts (Tech's colors are Chicago Maroon and Orange). I wore cargo shorts so I'd have plenty of room for my camera, blackberry, wallet, and car keys. But most of the Tech fans wore something maroon and a variety of shorts and/or khakis or jeans. We were supposed to wear Orange to contrast from the sea of red. But, the ~4,000 Hokie Fans in the stadium made some noise and I think represented our fine University well.

Oh, and I had on my Nike maroon and orange trainers/running shoes on. Honestly, they are ugly, but they are the colors of my beloved alma mater.

Kudos to the hospitality of the Husker fans. My son and I really enjoyed meeting Huskers and talking football with them. If you get a chance to go to Memorial Stadium for a Husker game, don't miss it. It's a real special place. When the skull and cross bones come on the JumboTron and the fans start screaming for their defense, it's an awesome tradition.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
754 Posts
View from the Ivies

^ It's nice to read all of this. More evidence that the South is now the locus for "trad."

I was at Cornell in the late '70s/early '80s. Football days were glorious, especially in October, when the leaves were turning. We didn't do coat-and-tie but we typically wore tweed jackets and sweaters and/or some variety of GTH attire, often brightly colored cords. Our fraternity owned an antique fire truck that we rode to the game each week. Lots of the parents and alums did the silver-candlesticks-tailgate thing; we filled gallon jugs full of apple cider from a spigot at Cornell Orchards and then topped them off with rum. One always carried a hip flask, for touchdowns. Fond memories.

tjs

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.