Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally received my modified Hughes shoe on the MH71 last in vintage cherry. I do really like the colour which is not quite true on my monitor... it is really a browny pink. "Vintage cherry" is a good description.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are an MTO copy of a bespoke shoe.

Messrs 5000 and Luk-cha - I will get to the bespoke eventually. I have another child on the way and am changing job so am putting the bespoke on the back burner for a while. When I do get to bespoke I will try to get a straight copy (the most sincere kind of flattery) of Luk-cha's diamond cap, heart shaped throat, side seam, black Adelaides - in black.

A question: vintage rioja connaught or Thorpe boots as they appear in the G&G catalogue?

·
Registered
415 Posts
May I suggest you put the Connaught on the back burner. The Mitchell you made was much better looking

Wait 5 weeks, I have a Thorpe on order in Vintage Oak (with heavy antiqueing/burnishing to give it a darker look), plus I added steel eyelets. Check it out then and decide if this is the look that you desire.

·
Registered
787 Posts
These are an MTO copy of a bespoke shoe.

Messrs 5000 and Luk-cha - I will get to the bespoke eventually. I have another child on the way and am changing job so am putting the bespoke on the back burner for a while. When I do get to bespoke I will try to get a straight copy (the most sincere kind of flattery) of Luk-cha's diamond cap, heart shaped throat, side seam, black Adelaides - in black.

A question: vintage rioja connaught or Thorpe boots as they appear in the G&G catalogue?
well thank you for the flattery of a straight copy! - but if you do get yours like mind then get TG to move the seam more inline with the heel joint

for me i would go for connaught in bauxite even i thro' i love the V Rioja color i just thin Bauxite will have more charactor over time! my second choice would be V cedar

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm not sure he's up to the challenge :icon_smile_wink:
i have be thinking about the diamond cap with on G&G's warwick, but i am just not 100% certain that it will work like it does on the normal oxford and adelaides

but i am wanting to do another shoe in Bauxite i just want make my mind up what!

my 3 idea's are a wing tip adelaide, like Medwards, a warwick with a medalion or a falkirk style wing tip brogue!:crazy:

·
Registered
622 Posts
i have be thinking about the diamond cap with on G&G's warwick, but i am just not 100% certain that it will work like it does on the normal oxford and adelaides

but i am wanting to do another shoe in Bauxite i just want make my mind up what!

my 3 idea's are a wing tip adelaide, like Medwards, a warwick with a medalion or a falkirk style wing tip brogue!:crazy:
I love the Warwick. It might well be my favourite RTW shoe for two reasons: I love balmorals & aesthetically, it has a lower facing and shorter toe caps, which I prefer.

I think the diamond cap would work with the Warwick and would favour this combo over a wing tip. Let me add the wing tip bals I have seen are handsome shoes to be sure but I think you need to raise the bar :icon_smile_big:.

Vintage cherry / bauxite is a great colour but I'm not sure its right for a balmoral. I see the balmoral as a serious shoe requiring a more sombre colour but that's just my opinion. Bauxite adelaides are a different matter altogether.

What ever you decide, I'm already looking forward to the result :aportnoy:

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
i have be thinking about the diamond cap with on G&G's warwick, but i am just not 100% certain that it will work like it does on the normal oxford and adelaides. but i am wanting to do another shoe in Bauxite i just want make my mind up what! my 3 idea's are a wing tip adelaide, like Medwards, a warwick with a medalion or a falkirk style wing tip brogue!:crazy:
I understand your concern about a diamond cap on the Warwick. I am very partial to the true Balmoral (galosh oxford) style. In fact two of my past three orders have been shoes crafted in this style, albeit with a normal straight punched cap. (One -- a buckskin suede -- was with a medallion; one --a current order in Russian calf -- without.) The straight lines of the diamond cap just don't seem to balance the rounded sweep of the horizontal seam...however I should confess that I am not terribly keen on diamond caps in any event. The Warwick appears quite striking as is and it would certainly make an elegant choice. The Edward Green Falkirk is a very different approach. A rather ornate full brogue, EG characterizes this as a country shoe because of its heavier construction. But I think it could be very handsome, perhaps as a two toned shoe. As for the full brogue Adelaide that Tony made for me, I am very fond of both the design and the leather (a very deep antigued burgundy). So you have three admirable choices before you. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I love the Warwick. It might well be my favourite RTW shoe for two reasons: I love balmorals & aesthetically, it has a lower facing and shorter toe caps, which I prefer.
me too i think if were gonna get another RTW/ MTO it would be this in vintage cognac

jjl5000 said:
I think the diamond cap would work with the Warwick and would favour this combo over a wing tip. Let me add the wing tip bals I have seen are handsome shoes to be sure but I think you need to raise the bar :icon_smile_big:.
i am sure it will be a nice shoe but i am not convince it would be perfect as to quote medwards

medwards said:
I understand your concern about a diamond cap on the Warwick. I am very partial to the true Balmoral (galosh oxford) style. In fact two of my past three orders have been shoes crafted in this style, albeit with a normal straight punched cap. (One -- a buckskin suede -- was with a medallion; one --a current order in Russian calf -- without.) The straight lines of the diamond cap just don't seem to balance the rounded sweep of the horizontal seam
so even thro i am a huge supporter of the diamond cap i just can see/ picture or imagine

jjl5000 said:
Vintage cherry / bauxite is a great colour but I'm not sure its right for a balmoral. I see the balmoral as a serious shoe requiring a more sombre colour but that's just my opinion. Bauxite adelaides are a different matter altogether.
my next shoe is gonna be a quarter brogue in dark oak so this is why i am thinking Bauxite would be a great balance as the under tone of the crust is like about but TG said it is dark brown both cream and wax over this redish base - me thinks it would be great with mid greys and fawnish color trousers

jjl5000 said:
The Edward Green Falkirk is a very different approach. A rather ornate full brogue, EG characterizes this as a country shoe because of its heavier construction. But I think it could be very handsome, perhaps as a two toned shoe.
yes i agree that a two tone shoe something simular to centipede's maple and tan semi brogue perhap, but inBauxite and a mid brown pig skin or kudu even

medwards said:
As for the full brogue Adelaide that Tony made for me, I am very fond of both the design and the leather (a very deep antigued burgundy). So you have three admirable choices before you. Let us know how it turns out.
yes the richness of the bordo' TG used is awesome and to be fair, i prefer the look of this last compared to you cleverley last IIRC you and me have a simular size feet so i know the difference that a slighly longer last makes when looking down defenatly narrower looking more elegant - but i am yet to try cleverleys so.....

watch this space!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I was thinking of the Warwick in black with external eyelets... like Centipede's. I agree with JJL5000 that this shoe lends itself to darker tones.

I don't think I would like a diamond cap on a balmoral (galosh line) oxford. Much as I loved Luk-cha's diamond cap Adelaide, I just think that a diamond cap balmoral (galosh line oxford) would be less "inspired genius" and more "freakish Frankenstein's creation".

Another question: I already have the G&G Cannes. G&G St. Tropez in vintage cedar or vintage cognac or none of the above or not at all. OK so that is like five questions. J

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I don't think I would like a diamond cap on a balmoral (galosh line) oxford. Much as I loved Luk-cha's diamond cap Adelaide, I just think that a diamond cap balmoral (galosh line oxford) would be less "inspired genius" and more "freakish Frankenstein's creation".
What about a round cap? I don't think I have ever seen pictures of it anywhere (and I definitely have not ever seen it in person). But a round cap balmoral (I hate bluchers) is probably very nice (probably on par with, a bit below or a bit above a straight cap balmoral and most likely much nicer than a diamond cap balmoral).

Judging by the pictures I have seen here on AAAC and the pictures I have seen on SF (all of which are balmoral only-thank goodness but most with broguing and, sadly, very few with no broguing), I don't think a diamond cap is bad at all but definitely not nearly as nice as a straight cap balmoral (my current favorite as long as there is no broguing-I also hate broguing).

If anybody has pictures of a round cap (balmoral only and no broguing only-again, I hate bluchers and broguing), please post them? Thank you dearly and sincerely in advance! :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I was thinking of the Warwick in black with external eyelets... like Centipede's. I agree with JJL5000 that this shoe lends itself to darker tones.

Another question: I already have the G&G Cannes. G&G St. Tropez in vintage cedar or vintage cognac or none of the above or not at all. OK so that is like five questions. J
the vintage cognac is a nice color very didfferent to the cedar IIRC so a loafer in this would be great IMO

a black warwick would be nice but i dont like the reversed eyelets idea it makes them look very dated IMO!

printed out some picture of mine wing tip bal's and drawn on a diamond cap - it looks odd to me still!

·
Registered
415 Posts
My Warwick (with the wing tip that I posted back in April was supposed to be with the steel eyelets...but it was lost in the translation when I changed my order

I like the look of Centipede's bespoke Warwick...I think Jamaican would do well with this design

I had originally ordered the Canterbury boot back in October 2007 with brogueing along the galosh line and the diamond cap brogueing design

I too was concerned it looked a bit modern and changed it to a straight cap instead...hopefully I'll get this shoe by the end of the week

·
Registered
787 Posts
My Warwick (with the wing tip that I posted back in April was supposed to be with the steel eyelets...but it was lost in the translation when I changed my order

I like the look of Centipede's bespoke Warwick...I think Jamaican would do well with this design

I had originally ordered the Canterbury boot back in October 2007 with brogueing along the galosh line and the diamond cap brogueing design

I too was concerned it looked a bit modern and changed it to a straight cap instead...hopefully I'll get this shoe by the end of the week
yes i agree in a vintage oak or cedar but keep it like the sample IMO and forget the reversed eyelets!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.