Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The knit ties are very nice. All knit ties basically come from the same place, but his fancies are pretty well done. The other parts of the line are a bit too costumey for me, but for that style they are not bad. Some of the socks are pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Saw his new collection in Saks in SF. Anybody have the scoop on this guy?
This is all speculation, as I do not know about the history of GA.

GA seems to be a company which serves American sartorial Anglophiles. My guess is that GA is like Thomas Pink in that it is not an old British company but rather a newer one with good marketing.

That said, I have seen GA products (shirts and ties in particular), and they are leagues ahead of Pink in terms of quality. I would put GA products above Lewin (which is above Tyrwhitt and Pink) in quality, but perhaps just below H&K or T&A.

GA's offerings, especially their shirts, are a bit too loud for my taste (on average), but some are simple and discreet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Garrick Anderson is an American with no pretensions to a false Jermyn St pedigree. I guess the underlying impulse to the collections is a sort of evocation of the 1930s English dandy. So, yes, as iammatt says, it can verge on the costumey. For the past several years many of his things have been made in England (before that it was the US, I believe). The shirts, pajamas, and ties have been made by T&A I think--often in exclusive cloths and patterns and to higher standards than much of T&A rtw. There have also been some stunning cashmere scarves from Begg. The braces I'm quite sure have been made by Thurston (including some with the difficult-to-find gut ends); I have a pair in pink boxcloth. In short, if the look appeals to you I wouldn't worry much about the quality.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've read elsewhere that some shirts are Borrelli. Whether that is accurate???

I think the US tailored garments used to be by Martin Greenfield in the '80s and '90s.

Suit/Sport Coat fabrics were sometimes similar to the inclinations of a certain Saks & Bergdorf tailor of the '90s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Garrick was among the '80s retro-designers who offered an American interpretation of the AA/Esky London style (Alan Flusser, Avery Lucas, and some of Thom Oatman's designs come to mind, as being the others of that crowd.). Anderson did a lot of pieces with unusual colors being a dominant signature. His ties tend to be versions of abstract "charvets." Like Flusser and Avery Lucas, he used to offer custom clothing - a previous poster on the forum stated that Anderson's custom stuff was actually made by Nino Corvato.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
In my yoot (university years), when I worked for Barney's during the sales the Garrick Anderson stuff was seen as the tip top of their quality range, or so I remember. It was much different than what Saks shows now and the prices were considerably higher. Nice stuff, too flash for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.