Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stiff Tweed

The only thing not stiff about that outfit are his wellies. But not to worry, his brogues with inch-thick soles and uppers are just off to the side of the field.

But consider this: Tweeds don't show the dog (or vermin) hair! :idea:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a gamekeepers duty to kill vermin, hence the dead squirrels. I doubt if he plans to sautee the lil' varmints, but without reading the article one can never be sure.
Bracemaker! I will bet you one pair of bright red boxcloth braces with covered ends, size medium, that those squirells are bound for the table!

Buzz

·
Registered
350 Posts
Starting on squirrels? A mere beginner......... I wonder on his choice of weapon

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It is a gamekeepers duty to kill vermin, hence the dead squirrels. I doubt if he plans to sautee the lil' varmints, but without reading the article one can never be sure.
From the article...
...Meanwhile gamekeepers, hunters and trappers were happy to know that the meat was being eaten, not wasted. "My lads don't like to kill an animal if it's not going to be eaten," Mr. Shaw said of the hunters who bring him game.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Gamekeepers and farmers used a combination of shotguns and rook rifles, usually a light and fast handling single shot
in a small caliber similar to a .32-.38 pistol.
Alas those delightfull rifles are all now collector's items.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Splendid!

I can invite him over to take care of the groundhogs!

(The deer are tended to with the #1 red-neck hunting weapon, the pickup truck. This is followed by ritual decapitation and a quick trip to a taxidermist.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Probably a well-used .410 side by side.
Doubtful, most I've seen carry a sXs 12 (the Brits use much shorter shells and light 7/8 oz or lighter loads than we here in the U.S.), .410 shells are outrageously expensive and they don't pattern as well as a light 12.

I've rarely seen a games keeper dress that well unless "running a shooting line". They usually are wearing a well worn Barbour Coat, wellies, moleskin breeks and tattersal (sp?) shirt and a very industrial strength wool sweater.

As of late even members of a shooting line do not dress as well as the picture presented, much the pity, I and my bride being the notable exceptions when we do go for driven pheasants on the Borders. After all, for that kind of money spent, I wear my dinner jacket at the dining table!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a lovely 410 in my safe. Never use it because shells are over a dollar apiece. I'd agree that a light 12ga is more practical. Also practical is a '22 LR bolt gun. Semi-autos are not traditional, despite their prevalence. It's gophers and crows I hunt, not Hind choppers.

That said, I wouldn't break out the tweeds for a regular hunt, but for contests and photo events. I normally wear cords and a light safari coat.

Thomas

·
Registered
188 Posts
Eeek well dressed I wouldn't go as far as, for a game keeper. Gumboot choice is a strange one for a countryman but thats life. Each to their own.
Driven shoots and keepers certainly dont use pistols. Guns and keepers have far better taste than that. ( on that note; squirrels taste suprisingly nice and ridiculously cheap). A brace of pheasant to shoot cost up from £50, squirrel is free normally. Due to its vermin type status. as an aside I am led to believe squirrel fur was an early source of currency in Finland. Random fact for the day was also free :)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Some squirrels do have nice fur. It would take a lot of them to make a nice coat for a lady.

The guy ought to get some decent footwear for walking out in the fields. Are those really breeches or just long pants stuffed into the top of rubber boots?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.