Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time I have been considering an overcoat with fur collar. It can get pretty cold and windy here in Blitzburgh in the winter. Lo and behold on the Paul Stuart website has what appears to be a beautiful one. Any thoughts here on the forum about them. Any comments on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't get it right away. I have to pay for some suits I'm having done MTM. The coat will be my Christmas present to me. But there is a very good picture on the Paul Stuart website and at $2400.00 it will have to be around Xmas time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
One can also take a normal overcoat to a competent furrier, and they can put on fur, persian lamb is often asked for, still masculine.

There is an excellent shot in the Shaft movie series at someone's funeral, where one can see three or four "gents" wearing such coats.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I'd hesitate, as I think there's something morally dubious about most fur. I feel the same about most meat, and leather. Having said this--and before this heads off to the Interchange!--my view stems from how the animal is treated during its life, and how it's killed. So, if it's well-treated, and killed with minimal suffering, I have no moral qualms at all. But I suspect that this just isn't the case for most animal products....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A fur collared coat must be worn with a fedora,or if you are a real bon vivant, a bowler. See the opening of "Holday Inn" and Fred Astaire will give a lesson on how to wear a fur-collared coat. Also, a beautiful cashmere or silk scarf is needed to set off the look. Unless jeans are in the offing. No comment.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
A fur collared coat must be worn with a fedora,or if you are a real bon vivant, a bowler. See the opening of "Holday Inn" and Fred Astaire will give a lesson on how to wear a fur-collared coat. Also, a beautiful cashmere or silk scarf is needed to set off the look. Unless jeans are in the offing. No comment.
In spirit thought not in fact I would agree with you, except I wonder where one now finds a serious hat store that is not mail order.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
In spirit thought not in fact I would agree with you, except I wonder where one now finds a serious hat store that is not mail order.
Go South, young man! Spotted one on a visit to Chattanooga last year. And know there used to be a good one in N.O., though I'm not sure if Katrina dispatched it. I suspect there may be others.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Go South, young man! Spotted one on a visit to Chattanooga last year. And know there used to be a good one in N.O., though I'm not sure if Katrina dispatched it. I suspect there may be others.
I lived in Columbia, South Carolina's capital, for two years, and confirm there were no serious hat shops except ones that also sold baseball caps. I think sizing is also important and even a place such as Miller's Hats in Texas only offers the standard S, M, L, XL sizing. I understand that one must quite extravagantly visit a place such as NYC in order to find a traditional hat shop now, but cannot confirm it. I was referring to the absurdity of requiring hats with any clothing, when, like now, shops selling them are rare; I assume when hats were required the shops were everywhere, and that, as with the shirt or suit, no well-dressed gentleman would tolerate the ill-fitting in a hat. If I now strive to find a derby hat to wear with my fur-collared coat, how much selection will there be?

·
Registered
75 Posts
You might buy faux fur if it is practical for you; the difference between real and synthetic fur in appearance is little; I have a coat (a car coat) with a synthetic fur collar whose appearance is identical to the following coat's, which is likely real:

https://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcsnap101680iv3.png

This is the same coat, shown with a cap with ear-flaps:

https://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcsnap98923sy1.png
Ick ick ick. Don't do it! :eek: :icon_smile_wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.