Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I can’t say I’m a fan of either.
As for the Chelsea, I have a hard time justifying paying $328 for a shoe manufactured in a 3rd world country.

The engineer is popular for the same reason why Red Wing is all of a sudden popular; blue collar chic. I can’t think of a single occasion, besides for use as a true work boot, when I couldn’t come up with a better option for whatever outfit I’m considering.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pliner, these are local and buttery smooth but in person, the tan is even lighter. I guess with age they would darken. These have a back zip, so you can slide them on and off easy

Frye Chelsea, color is called chestnut, kinda iffy on the color. Saw these locally nd well, not as impressive. Maybe the Meermin snuff would be a better choice?

Meermin Johdpur. Darkest brown I would own. Worried they may be too dressy but I may be overthinking it. Have not tried these on. They have a copper color that might work but dont know if they come up on ebay. Thebrown suede ones look nice but are darker than these calf ones. Never had a dark, dark brown shoe

Now the Meermin Chukka. About the same color as the Frye, maybe overthinking this color as not being as versatile?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the first pair, went back with my wife and they were sold. She liked the profile. In Memphis, we have two fine mens stores, and then the Macy's, Dillards, DSW and now a Nordstrom Rack. So I can get all the Johnston Murphy, TImberland, Ecco, Cole Haans, and then Merrell and Vasque, but much of what is posted here, I have no access to unless I get to Nashville (not much more) and then Atlanta. That is why I ask for suggestions because I have to get anything online and fit and how the lighting is can be determinative.

So, I got a pair of Frye Phillip inside zip boots. Usually $318 at the store, they were less that $100.00 with tax. Yes, made in Mexico, but much better than the stuff I can get for $100 locally. Not as dressy as say the Meermin Jodphurs, but can go with khakis and a nice shirt and sweater in winter. Not as dark as a true chocolate brown. Size was 9.5 D but that strap they added an extra hole and it helps with holding my foot in the vamp, but plenty of toe room and slight slip in the heel. As it is higher on the vamp, with pant, you don't see any bunching, which i think it pictured that way due to how the shoe was pulled at when I pulled up my pants leg.

Maybe the Meermin Jodphur in suede will come on sale at the ebay seller.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Perhaps it's just me, but I cannot get on board with jodphurs. I just can't help but think biker from the village people.

Chukkas, all day long, with just about anything. Chelseas, with a more fashion forward outfit, all day long. Dress balmorals, all day long, with just about anything. Jodphurs? Just can't do it.

Just my $0.02.

I also just cringe at the thought of a lawyer wearing jodphurs. Just no.

Feel free to pile on. I'm currently in my office downtown, wearing a pair of chinos, a blue OCBD, a navy windowpane sport coat, and a sort of moc-toe balmoral dress boot... so it ain't like I'm against lawyers wearing boots.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The harness boot, thst sort of johdpur, I can see that the esthetic would also bug me, showing on the outside of the pant down at the heel. The brown Fryes I bought cover the strap and looks like a brown leather plain toe boot. It will be with jeans and chinos and nice shirt, but I don't wear a sportscoat around the office. I am either in a suit, but even then, the coat is hung up on the door on a hangar, or I am either in jeans for paperwork, or dress pants and a nice shirt (or shirt and sweater) if a client walks in.

So I am comfortable with something a little more casual dressy than a true dress chukka or boot.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got my eyes on these and can't seem to decide. Kinda like the look of the engineer boot, and the suede seems it would be supple, not like a cowboy boot. A frye boot, in what they call Fatigue suede. Can be dressy enough because you wont see the buckles under the slacks, but will have a more boot like feel. Maybe I should just go with the leather engineers? This would be my first one in this style, and I did get a pair of Frye brown leather with a strap across the vamp, not quite a jodhpur, My wife does not like the harness look, does not like how the buckling on the side can show under pants, so the engineer is a compromise. Also, with the straps, better control over slippage.

But the Chelsea, looks a little darker, and may be a better look for me? Downside is that the elastic in time will stretch and the foot will slip more. Love me the Meermin suede Jodhpurs but they may be a little more dressy than what I want at this time.

Lo

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Got my eyes on these and can't seem to decide. Kinda like the look of the engineer boot, and the suede seems it would be supple, not like a cowboy boot. A frye boot, in what they call Fatigue suede. Can be dressy enough because you wont see the buckles under the slacks, but will have a more boot like feel. Maybe I should just go with the leather engineers? This would be my first one in this style, and I did get a pair of Frye brown leather with a strap across the vamp, not quite a jodhpur, My wife does not like the harness look, does not like how the buckling on the side can show under pants, so the engineer is a compromise. Also, with the straps, better control over slippage.

But the Chelsea, looks a little darker, and may be a better look for me? Downside is that the elastic in time will stretch and the foot will slip more. Love me the Meermin suede Jodhpurs but they may be a little more dressy than what I want at this time.

Lo
Just my opinion, but of the two designs you picture (the Engineer and Chelsa designs), I suspect the Chelsea's will well serve your needs on a more frequent basis. Don't worry about the elastic stretching with use and affecting the fit of the boot. I've never had that happen, even with Chelsea's I've worn for well over a decade.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Cringe away!
My friend, I cannot say that I'm cringing, but looking at those examples of classic leather art, I do find myself reminded of and experiencing the first lines of the song that John Travolta sings at the end of the movie Grease;

"I've got chills,
They're multiplying.

I'm loosing control..."

Those boots are strikingly and memorably handsome! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.