Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I was wondering what do you people wash your shirts in?? Top loader or Front loader??

Also are the ones with the agitator with the spiral plastic thing good for the clothes?? are they better at getting out stains?? and what cycle do you usually wash your shirts on??? Regular Perm. Press/easy care or delicates??

Oh, and for the front loaders. Are there any differences for both??

I don't know which cycle I should wash my shirts on?? I don't want any too many wrinkles, and ruffles when they come out of the washer or dryer.

I practically wear a lot of shirts that are button down nearly every day, and most of them are casual, not dress shirts all the time.

Please help :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I send my shirts out, which many on the forum have said is bad for them (but easier on me). We have a top loader, which we bought before front loaders became popular for home washers. But I've always heard the front loader is better in almost every way: easier on the clothes, does a better job and uses less water and detergent. If mine ever wears out and I'm still alive, I'll get a front loader.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My apartment has a high efficiency front loader that is both the washing machine and dryer in one unit.

Observations:

1) It destroys my towels - they all come out with thread pulls everywhere.

2) It takes forever. A wash cycle is well over an hour and the dry cycle is maybe 2 1/2 hours.

3) It basically doesn't dry the clothes. After the cycle, I take them out and hang them up all over my apartment to get the clothes dry.

4) It holds next to nothing. Not big enough for a complete set of queen size sheets, so washing sheets requires two separate full length wash and dry cycles (and since it is a single unit, I cannot wash stuff while I am drying other stuff)

Perhaps my experience is an anomaly, and perhaps these issues go away where you have separate washer and dryer units, but based on my experience I would never ever purchase a front loader. The regular top loader served me well for 35+ years and I think the front loader is a step back. And yes, I know it is more "energy efficient", but the question one must ask is at what cost for the energy efficiency?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My apartment has a high efficiency front loader that is both the washing machine and dryer in one unit.

Observations:

1) It destroys my towels - they all come out with thread pulls everywhere.

2) It takes forever. A wash cycle is well over an hour and the dry cycle is maybe 2 1/2 hours.

3) It basically doesn't dry the clothes. After the cycle, I take them out and hang them up all over my apartment to get the clothes dry.

4) It holds next to nothing. Not big enough for a complete set of queen size sheets, so washing sheets requires two separate full length wash and dry cycles (and since it is a single unit, I cannot wash stuff while I am drying other stuff)

Perhaps my experience is an anomaly, and perhaps these issues go away where you have separate washer and dryer units, but based on my experience I would never ever purchase a front loader. The regular top loader served me well for 35+ years and I think the front loader is a step back. And yes, I know it is more "energy efficient", but the question one must ask is at what cost for the energy efficiency?
I see. But the top loaders, can they not destroy your clothes too??

Someone in the UK has videos on them. Whichwasher2007 and he has a hot point wt.960 and it cleans his clothes fairly well..

So then are the top loaders with the dual action center agitator work well? or not?

I don't have the dual action agitator, but I want to get a new washer.. Hopefully one that is gentle on my clothes. I wear a t-shirt and a button shirt all the time, nearly every day and I put them on a permanent press cycle which I think does not help with the "reducing wrinkles" part.

My washer brand name is "ultra wash" and I can't find the name of it on google or anywhere.

It doesn't have a dual action agitator and it's noisy sometimes, even if I try and put the loads evenly.

My aunt has a maytag dual action washer, and it isn't the one that is made by whirlpool.

What type of top loading washer is the best? like the brand name.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I send my shirts off. I have over 200 shirts, so it's unlikely that any of them except for white dress shirts are worn more than twice a year. At this rate, I'll never need to buy shirts again. Which is a bit of a disappointment.

Several years ago, when working for GE, I bought my mother the top-of-the-line top-loading washer. It does not have a center agitator, which means it doesn't beat up your clothes and it will hold much more if you're washing something like towels or a comforter.

It also has a cable that connects it to the dryer. You tell the washer what sort of items you're washing - towels, shirts, knits, etc. It weighs the clothes, measures out the detergent and fabric softener, washes them at the appropriate temperature and speed for the right amount of time, then tells the dryer exactly how wet they are and how long they need to be dried.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I send my shirts off. I have over 200 shirts, so it's unlikely that any of them except for white dress shirts are worn more than twice a year. At this rate, I'll never need to buy shirts again. Which is a bit of a disappointment.

Several years ago, when working for GE, I bought my mother the top-of-the-line top-loading washer. It does not have a center agitator, which means it doesn't beat up your clothes and it will hold much more if you're washing something like towels or a comforter.

It also has a cable that connects it to the dryer. You tell the washer what sort of items you're washing - towels, shirts, knits, etc. It weighs the clothes, measures out the detergent and fabric softener, washes them at the appropriate temperature and speed for the right amount of time, then tells the dryer exactly how wet they are and how long they need to be dried.
So I see.

Technology has seemed to change hasn't it.

Why buy 200 shirts?? and send them off to the cleaners? couldn't it be better to just wash them?

Also the one with the "invisible" agitator tangles up clothes I thought, and how will it get out shirt stains?

I have about 20 shirts, only 2 of them are dress shirts which I barely wear them, the rest are like shirts to go out on a date, and party shirts.. which I just wear them every day anyway.

I don't usually wash my shirts.. I wear the same shirt twice sometimes depending on if I am running and then I will sometimes put on a different shirt, and then do the laundry every 1-2 weeks. I usually smell them, and the ones I put on after running really do smell.

Any help with that?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Why buy 200 shirts?? and send them off to the cleaners? couldn't it be better to just wash them?
I have 200 shirts because I hate buying pants. Spontaneous clothes-buying almost always results in a few shirts. And washing shirts at home, except for knits, means ironing. I don't have the time or the inclination to do this myself.

Also the one with the "invisible" agitator tangles up clothes I thought, and how will it get out shirt stains?
Regardless of what style of washer, significant stains need to be pre-treated. Some additives like OxyClean are effective at finding things you miss, though. My mother has had the kind without the agitator for three years and has never had a problem with clothes getting tangled or stains not coming out.

I usually smell them, and the ones I put on after running really do smell. Any help with that?
That's usually caused by some sort of unpleasant things making their home in your sweat glands; I'd try bathing thoroughly with antibacterial soap for a few days and see if it helps. The stuff dries you out terribly, so I wouldn't advise making a regular habit of it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
(1) Always use bottled water for washing shirts. Tap water contains iron and other toxins that can stain your clothes. Perrier with lemon works very well.

(2) Instead of laundry detergent, use very finely granulated sand. The Duke of Windsor always did his laundry this way.

(3) Be careful when adjusting the dryer temperature! A simple rule of thumb is: if the dryer is the right temperature to thaw two and three-quarter pounds of frozen pumpkin ravioli in 37 minutes, it will adequately dry 5.9 Brooks oxford cloth shirts (traditional fit) in one cycle. Adjust this ratio up or down depending on how many shirts you wish to dry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 200 shirts because I hate buying pants. Spontaneous clothes-buying almost always results in a few shirts. And washing shirts at home, except for knits, means ironing. I don't have the time or the inclination to do this myself.

Regardless of what style of washer, significant stains need to be pre-treated. Some additives like OxyClean are effective at finding things you miss, though. My mother has had the kind without the agitator for three years and has never had a problem with clothes getting tangled or stains not coming out.

That's usually caused by some sort of unpleasant things making their home in your sweat glands; I'd try bathing thoroughly with antibacterial soap for a few days and see if it helps. The stuff dries you out terribly, so I wouldn't advise making a regular habit of it.
So then your first paragraph about the "I hate buying pants" part, so then what do you mean by that?? you do wear pants right?? and why don't you have time to iron?? if your married your wife could do it unless she is busy too or you live alone.

Also I don't really iron my wrinkle shirts all the time. Sometimes when I put them in the dryer and the place where the button holes are, I just use a mister thing, and spray a light puff on the wrinkled place, and then put it on a medium or high and then usually most of the wrinkles come out.. don't dryers usually have the wrinkled shield thing?

For the regardless on what ever type of washer it is and the Oxy Clean part.. doesn't Oxy clean usually work on whites?? not colors?

I used color safe bleach, but it doesn't get out most of my stains. Not even the ones that are on the bottom of my white socks. And how come the one that is made by whirlpool washers do tangle up clothes. Since my friend washes his clothes, and once they have been tangled up, and then I think he bought one with a center "dual action" agitator that I guess could be a little easier on clothes... How does the "Invisible" agitator clean clothes if it isn't very getting a very well roll over?

I have heard of many things that cause people to sweat. Some people don't sweat a lot really, just like a friend of mine in Thailand didn't sweat much.. barely at all, and I sweat so much that I was showering about 3 times a day. I heard that sweat itself is salt from your sweat glands and it attracts bacteria to your skin and possibly fabric. Causing you to have body odour. Is that info true??

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(1) Always use bottled water for washing shirts. Tap water contains iron and other toxins that can stain your clothes. Perrier with lemon works very well.

(2) Instead of laundry detergent, use very finely granulated sand. The Duke of Windsor always did his laundry this way.

(3) Be careful when adjusting the dryer temperature! A simple rule of thumb is: if the dryer is the right temperature to thaw two and three-quarter pounds of frozen pumpkin ravioli in 37 minutes, it will adequately dry 5.9 Brooks oxford cloth shirts (traditional fit) in one cycle. Adjust this ratio up or down depending on how many shirts you wish to dry.
Okay. So then when your saying that I should use bottled water for washing clothes?? I don't really have much experience on hand washing my dirty clothes, and they let alone don't always come clean by my own hands... I tried using a lemon to get out some stain, but it didn't get it out.

Also, if he used fine granulated sand then did that actually work when he was hand washing his own clothes??? or did they have a washer to do it for him? Since he was the duke I highly doubt that he would always have his shirts stain free am I right? How does the fine granulated sand work?

Isn't laundry detergent better at cleaning clothes?? it makes my shirts smell good unless I don't wash them...

Also for the dryer.. can't I just go simple and use a permanent press cycle or regular?? or are you talking about energy efficient, because I don't get about the pumpkin ravioli since nobody would want to put a pumpkin in a dryer.... hopefully I'm not being "crazy" about it...

·
Registered
679 Posts
if your married your wife could do it unless she is busy too or you live alone.
If I may, this sentence needs a bit of work: How about--

If you're married your wife could do it; unless she is also busy. Or perhaps you live alone.

I don't mean to be a jerk; I just think if you want to people to understand you so thay can comment on your posts; you may want to consider using better spelling and grammar.

Just a suggestion...

--Chase

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
So then your first paragraph about the "I hate buying pants" part, so then what do you mean by that?? you do wear pants right??
I don't like the disappointment of trying on a pair of off-the-rack trousers that don't fit. It is the one time that I feel that I'm fat. So when I go shopping, it's far more likely that a shirt will catch my eye and go home with me than a pair of trousers. And the more of something you have, the less you use each individual item, so they tend not to wear out.

and why don't you have time to iron?? if your married your wife could do it unless she is busy too or you live alone.
I'm a CPA. I get paid a very high salary to do things that required specialized training, education, and certification. With this comes the right to pay someone else to do something that I do not enjoy doing, that has little financial return, and other people do better than I do. My cleaner trusts a professional to do his taxes; I trust him to do my shirts.

What occupies my spouse's free time is none of anyone else's concern.

Also I don't really iron my wrinkle shirts all the time. Sometimes when I put them in the dryer and the place where the button holes are, I just use a mister thing, and spray a light puff on the wrinkled place, and then put it on a medium or high and then usually most of the wrinkles come out.. don't dryers usually have the wrinkled shield thing?
My dryer has a setting where it buzzes when the heat cycle is over, then tosses the clothes around for about ten minutes with minimal heat so you can remove them before they have a chance to sit in a pile and get wrinkled. I often wear shirts in professional situations where "not being wrinkled" isn't a high enough standard - they must be smooth and crisp. Not too crisp, though. I don't have my shirts starched because it wears down the fabric.

For the regardless on what ever type of washer it is and the Oxy Clean part.. doesn't Oxy clean usually work on whites?? not colors? I used color safe bleach, but it doesn't get out most of my stains. Not even the ones that are on the bottom of my white socks.
Oxy Clean is effective on colors. Chlorine bleach should only be used on white clothing. Stains on the bottom of your socks may be coming from dye in the insole of your shoe. I don't recall the proportions, but soaking them in a bucket of a mild bleach solution should help the problem for a while. If something is bleached too often it turns a dingy yellow.

And how come the one that is made by whirlpool washers do tangle up clothes. Since my friend washes his clothes, and once they have been tangled up, and then I think he bought one with a center "dual action" agitator that I guess could be a little easier on clothes... How does the "Invisible" agitator clean clothes if it isn't very getting a very well roll over?
My mother's neighbor has a Whirlpool washer. I never had an opinion on them, but I'm starting to think they're crap. Hers shakes so badly that it sloshes water on the floor.

I have heard of many things that cause people to sweat. Some people don't sweat a lot really, just like a friend of mine in Thailand didn't sweat much.. barely at all, and I sweat so much that I was showering about 3 times a day. I heard that sweat itself is salt from your sweat glands and it attracts bacteria to your skin and possibly fabric. Causing you to have body odour. Is that info true??
Sweat is produced so that excess body heat is drawn through the moisture into the air, cooling you off. If you're somewhere very dry, like Las Vegas, you may think you're not sweating at all, but it's actually evaporating into the air. Your theory on the source of body odor is partly right - it's caused by bacteria that thrive in moist places with little air circulation. Some illnesses cause a person to sweat out toxins, but this is usually a distinct odor other than regular old B.O.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
A front loader is generally going to be gentler on your clothing. Although, for those preferring not to do their own laundry or ironing, they would certainly not be the answer! ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't like the disappointment of trying on a pair of off-the-rack trousers that don't fit. It is the one time that I feel that I'm fat. So when I go shopping, it's far more likely that a shirt will catch my eye and go home with me than a pair of trousers. And the more of something you have, the less you use each individual item, so they tend not to wear out.

I'm a CPA. I get paid a very high salary to do things that required specialized training, education, and certification. With this comes the right to pay someone else to do something that I do not enjoy doing, that has little financial return, and other people do better than I do. My cleaner trusts a professional to do his taxes; I trust him to do my shirts.

What occupies my spouse's free time is none of anyone else's concern.

My dryer has a setting where it buzzes when the heat cycle is over, then tosses the clothes around for about ten minutes with minimal heat so you can remove them before they have a chance to sit in a pile and get wrinkled. I often wear shirts in professional situations where "not being wrinkled" isn't a high enough standard - they must be smooth and crisp. Not too crisp, though. I don't have my shirts starched because it wears down the fabric.

Oxy Clean is effective on colors. Chlorine bleach should only be used on white clothing. Stains on the bottom of your socks may be coming from dye in the insole of your shoe. I don't recall the proportions, but soaking them in a bucket of a mild bleach solution should help the problem for a while. If something is bleached too often it turns a dingy yellow.

My mother's neighbor has a Whirlpool washer. I never had an opinion on them, but I'm starting to think they're crap. Hers shakes so badly that it sloshes water on the floor.

Sweat is produced so that excess body heat is drawn through the moisture into the air, cooling you off. If you're somewhere very dry, like Las Vegas, you may think you're not sweating at all, but it's actually evaporating into the air. Your theory on the source of body odor is partly right - it's caused by bacteria that thrive in moist places with little air circulation. Some illnesses cause a person to sweat out toxins, but this is usually a distinct odor other than regular old B.O.
So I guess the shirts will catch all of your attention when you go shopping I guess. Are the regular shirts able to be laundered by the dry cleaners?

And when you mentioned about the CPA workers. The people there make really good money?? like more than the Police Force or anything like that?? and when you are specialized in the training and stuff, you had to go to University right?? or College??

About your "dryer buzzes" when the cycle is over, I'm guessing that you have a maytag right? or do all dryers buzz? and there are some types that can save you a lot on the money you spend on the shirts. There are some that are wrinkle resistant, that when they get out of the dryer they barely wrinkle. But since you mentioned that you like everything to be 100% perfecto, do the cleaners do a really good job on it?? like getting out stains and what so ever.. wouldn't they ever loose your shirts and give it to someone else by mistake?

About the "oxy clean" part working well on colors, like do you ever use them on your under shirts?? and socks.. so on? Also what will non-chlorine bleach do to your clothes?? they won't turn whites gray that easily will they?? since bleach has hydrogen peroxide, and it usually keeps the whites white, and the colors bright.

I have heard of whirlpool washers being such a rip off. I wonder why people still buy whilrpool washers if they stink... just like how Maytag went bankcruped.

And for the sweat part, is that what usually will make a lot of the clothes smell so bad?? just like when I had phys ed uniform, I had to wash them every day because they would get so stinky that if I didn't wash them more than once a week they would reak.. "people say it's not good for the women" xD

·
Registered
679 Posts
So I guess the shirts will catch all of your attention when you go shopping I guess. Are the regular shirts able to be laundered by the dry cleaners?

And when you mentioned about the CPA workers. The people there make really good money?? like more than the Police Force or anything like that?? and when you are specialized in the training and stuff, you had to go to University right?? or College??

About your "dryer buzzes" when the cycle is over, I'm guessing that you have a maytag right? or do all dryers buzz? and there are some types that can save you a lot on the money you spend on the shirts. There are some that are wrinkle resistant, that when they get out of the dryer they barely wrinkle. But since you mentioned that you like everything to be 100% perfecto, do the cleaners do a really good job on it?? like getting out stains and what so ever.. wouldn't they ever loose your shirts and give it to someone else by mistake?

About the "oxy clean" part working well on colors, like do you ever use them on your under shirts?? and socks.. so on? Also what will non-chlorine bleach do to your clothes?? they won't turn whites gray that easily will they?? since bleach has hydrogen peroxide, and it usually keeps the whites white, and the colors bright.

I have heard of whirlpool washers being such a rip off. I wonder why people still buy whilrpool washers if they stink... just like how Maytag went bankcruped.

And for the sweat part, is that what usually will make a lot of the clothes smell so bad?? just like when I had phys ed uniform, I had to wash them every day because they would get so stinky that if I didn't wash them more than once a week they would reak.. "people say it's not good for the women" xD
Oh, please. Get a life and don't forget to leave us the heck out of it.

--Chase

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Oh, please. Get a life and don't forget to leave us the heck out of it.

--Chase
I'm inclined to agree with you.

I don't know if all dryers buzz. Some might have amusing ringtones like a middle-schooler's cell phone.

Bleach does not contain hydrogen peroxide. Bleach is made with chlorine. Hyrdogen peroxide is made with hydrogen peroxide.

Police in the United States, and in fact most of the known universe, get paid far less than chartered accountants. I'd rather have the education and mentally challenging job duties that I have than deal with the danger they face, and I'm glad that I can do it and earn a nice living.

My cleaners do a very good job of not losing clothing. Others are not as diligent. Once I ended up with a beautiful knee-length suede skirt from Brooks Brothers. It was a size 10, so I wasn't the least bit tempted to keep it.

I worked for GE for four years.

And no, reeking like an incontinent homeless person is not good for the ladies. Or the gentlemen, or the sheep. If body odor is a continual problem, perhaps one should see a dermatologist.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
...My cleaners do a very good job of not losing clothing. Others are not as diligent. Once I ended up with a beautiful knee-length suede skirt from Brooks Brothers. It was a size 10, so I wasn't the least bit tempted to keep it...
LOL...and should we assume you are not a fan of BB or you are not a size 10? :devil:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
LOL...and should we assume you are not a fan of BB or you are not a size 10? :devil:
We tease my mother because in a newspaper article about her some twenty years ago she mentioned that she was a size 10. She's gone back and forth between 10 and 14 over the years.

I once read the size chart for Pendleton's women's line. I believe I would have been a 24 at the time, and I'm sure I'm bigger now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.