Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of suits, no suspenders on anyone, I've passed out a few business cards for my own clothing line from people asking about my suit.

Going through the stores in Shibuya they have all the highest of the high end and lowest of the low end. I never thought I would see a J. Press Children's clothing line with hoodies and big logo ball caps. Grenson shoes and lots of Burberry.

compared to New York, the high end stuff here is lower in cost and completely available through much of the general shopping malls. You see kids running around with Louis Vouitton backpacks heading to school.

Most men are wearing black or grey suits. blue is rare and Brown is almost never though there are a few i've see, but they are more fashionists with crazed hairstyles and they don't look like they are going to work.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Interesting. Would you say the general population (not the subcultures and fashionista elements) represent a more European or an Americanized dress style. And among subcultures, are they different by lifestyle mostly, or is it an brand-identity culture.

Just a few questions. Feel free to PM if you want. I'm just curious, because what I've read presents both views.

Thomas

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting. Would you say the general population (not the subcultures and fashionista elements) represent a more European or an Americanized dress style. And among subcultures, are they different by lifestyle mostly, or is it an brand-identity culture.

Just a few questions. Feel free to PM if you want. I'm just curious, because what I've read presents both views.

Thomas
I can only speak for where I live and work: the Kobe-Osaka metro area.

1. Black, navy, and shades of gray, solid and striped suits. Black rules and is considered the interview suit. Unfortunately, even for men here with high-contrast complexions, black looks terrible. The company that makes the MTM that I graduated to and will graduate from has Italian, American, and British styles to choose from. In the summer, 'to combat global warming,' suits are optional for some companies. Older men tend to wear odd jackets to the office. Blazers are usually navy, but black is not uncommon. Many MTM offer the highest quality fabrics. Three-piece suits and odd jackets and trousers are popular during the winter. Sweater vests and turtlenecks are common in the winter. In the summer polyester blends are popular, presumably to offset the wrinkling of lighter weight. Most men I know own 4 OTR when they wear suits in the cooler and colder months, never brush, and always dry clean.
2. Many wear striped shirts with spread collars, cutaway, point, and button down collars. Many wear a black suit with an unbuttoned white shirt, a weird combo of formality and informality. I've recently seen collars that have metal buttons under the collars to snap. Unfortunately, during the summer, many wear short sleeves with a tie, either with or without jacket. Polyester blends in the summer are popular. Showing cuff is not rare, but not the norm, either. Cufflinks are uncommon and very rarely double-sided.
3. For many companies, ties are optional during the summer if you wear a jacket. Those who do wear ties tend to wear garish prints. Many wear their ties too long, sometimes covering the crotches. Nice striped ties are common, while plain ties are uncommon, save for black neckties for funerals and white neckties either for weddings or for guys who think a white necktie and a white shirt with a black suit is sexy. Again, many wear ties with short sleeves in the summer, with or without jacket.
4. Outside of going to a wedding pocket squares are rare. If you want an unfolded linen pocket square, Paul Stuart or a haberdasher may have one-the major department stores do not. Most match their squares and ties.
5. Suspenders are uncommon.
6. Socks are rarely OTC and those that are black, navy, and charcoal gray. My shoes are a size 8.5 US, which is 26.5 Japan. That means I should wear a 28 sock over here. So far, for OTC the best I could find is 27-28 for OTC socks. Many wear ankle socks and make no attempt to coordinate them with their pants or anything above the trouser.
7. Many wear nice shoes and many keep them polished.
8. 'Japanese men do not wear raincoats' I have been repeatedly told. Never given a reason. But, should it be slightly chilly in the autumn and out come the overcoats and scarves.

Most men that I know do not like suits, wear them only if they have to, and welcome American business casual. Many younger men are metrosexual 'ladyboys' who are slaves of fashion.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Unlike New York, Chicago, Boston, London, Paris... and more... I haven't found one place here to get my shoes shined... So much walking traffic... lots of rain, but where can I get a good shoe shine?

Seen a lot of regular business men, but those that are styling dress Thom Browne tight in jackets and trouser more fitted like what I saw on this man on the train yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Unlike New York, Chicago, Boston, London, Paris... and more... I haven't found one place here to get my shoes shined... So much walking traffic... lots of rain, but where can I get a good shoe shine?

Seen a lot of regular business men, but those that are styling dress Thom Browne tight in jackets and trouser more fitted like what I saw on this man on the train yesterday.
Poor fellow appears to be the perfect Thom Browne customer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can get a good, but slightly expensive shine at Union Works. The guys in the Aoyama shop are great.

https://www.union-works.co.jp/shop/aoyama/

This fellow, also in Aoyama, is a "celebrity" boot black. I have not used him.
https://www.kutsumigaki.com/

There are also street boot blacks in the Yurakcho area and the Shimbashi area. If you walk from Yurakucho to Ginza after 5 pm on a weekday, you should see several of them. They usually cost 500 yen.

Bic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shoe shine in Tokyo

You can get a good, but slightly expensive shine at Union Works. The guys in the Aoyama shop are great.

https://www.union-works.co.jp/shop/aoyama/

This fellow, also in Aoyama, is a "celebrity" boot black. I have not used him.
https://www.kutsumigaki.com/

There are also street boot blacks in the Yurakcho area and the Shimbashi area. If you walk from Yurakucho to Ginza after 5 pm on a weekday, you should see several of them. They usually cost 500 yen.

Bic
If you go to Yurakucho Marui, Refine Arms on the 7th floor is good.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Not quite one of the ladyboys that many young Japanese men have evolved into. Don't see a leather handbag to compete with his girlfriend's--provided he has a girlfriend. Unfortunately, too many young Japanese men are into fashion and not style. This one does not expose his calf that much. Some expose their entire calves, a fashion I first noticed amongst Japanese women when I moved to Honolulu in 2000 and a fashion that I liked on them. I don't see Japanese women doing that here. Instead, too many like the Whore Look, though they may not see it as such. Many young girls and middle-aged women wanting to look young wear very long boots with high skirts--even in freezing temperatures.

Unfortunately, too many of the fashion-conscious don't realize their obsession is a version of the Emperor's New Clothes. And in general Japanese are the most gullible when it comes to fashion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.