Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my best friends and coworkers is going to London next week on business. I have never been, but I was thinking that between the current exchange rate and the recession sales, I might give him some cash and have some souvenirs brought back. I'm not sure yet where he will be staying, and I don't want to overburden him since he will be quite busy, but I'm not sure I'll get to the UK any time soon myself. Any suggestions since I obviously would not be there to try things on? I have bought plenty of shirts from Tyrwhitt and have one from Pink, but other than that know little about Savile Row or Jermyn Street merchants. What about accessories like pocket squares, scarves, or ties? Obviously my preference would be things that are either unavailable in the states or much cheaper in the UK.

The secret part of this plan is that my dear friend, who is brilliant, dresses like a slob most of the time. He is still wearing black bluchers he got in high school, and last week I caught him wearing the same shirt 3 days (twice in a row!). I am hoping that begging him to pick something up for me will entice him to open his eyes, as it were.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
If your colleague is reasonably fit and a brisk walker, it's a pleasant hike up the Horse Guards, across Pall Mall, thence into St. James's (home of Jermyn Street) and a bit beyond that, the region of Savile Row.

Here's a detailed map:

Have him drop by Ede & Ravenscroft, which sits on Burlington Gardens facing north, just at the south end of Savile Row. Give him enough scratch to buy you a necktie; he can hardly go wrong--the ties at "Greed & Ravingsnob" are simply excellent.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Harrods:
Turnbull & Asser shirts £54 or 3 for £150
Turnbull & Asser cashmere v-necks £145 or 3 for £300

You can get Harvie & Hudson for £30; however, they also make US visits.

Ties, scarves etc are still on sale but it depends on the style you like. So info on your tastes would be helpful and we could list some specific shops.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
In the centre square at the base of the map PJC has posted you will see Jermyn St. There is an arcade leading from Jermyn St to Piccadilly just below the blue building marked Royal Academy of Arts. The ties etc at the shop Bowring and Arundel on the Jermyn St entrance are lovely and he may find some ties and blazer buttons etc in Benson and Clegg which have more military/club designs.

Lewin towards the Regent St end of Jermyn St has lower prices and a very good selection of ties.

The top floor of Fortnum and Mason has some interesting accessories and the store is worth a visit in any event.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harrods:

Ties, scarves etc are still on sale but it depends on the style you like. So info on your tastes would be helpful and we could list some specific shops.
Well I am interested in shirts simply because Europeans seem to be the only ones that still know how to cut a shirt for a trim body. I've lamented this before - I'm 6'2", 185lbs, suit between 38L-40L. Shirt 15.5/35.5. Waist is 33" or so.

Those seem like a great price for a T&A shirt to me, but I would hate to get it and find that it needs to be tailored, negating the whole savings.

As far as taste:

• Shirts I am pretty conservative. I wear a lot of solids - whites/blues/pinks - but I like to mix it up a little, like a yellow prince of wales check. I would experiment more but lack confidence in my skills matching shirts/suits/ties, and I work in a very conservative environment
  • Ties I tend to prefer narrower (not super skinny), fairly plain. Rep stripes, solids, pin dots, geometrics... In my youthful days I wore some Jerry Garcia ties, if you are familiar, but not so much now that I am working for a living. I don't own any woven ties but would like to.
  • I'm not sure I've much of an opinion on scarves - I only own a few, which also tend to be pretty bland, but I wouldn't be against bold colors or stripes/patterns.
I am 25 and so do dress fairly "daring" considering my environment (my average coworker is probably 43 and ex-military). Does that help?

· Registered
5,852 Posts
There is an arcade leading from Jermyn St to Piccadilly just below the blue building marked Royal Academy of Arts. The ties etc at the shop Bowring and Arundel on the Jermyn St entrance are lovely
That's the Prince's Arcade (not to be confused w/ the nearby Burlington Arcade adjacent to the RADA), right? I thought Bowring & Arundel went out of business (or was absorbed) some time ago . . . have they come back?

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harrods:

I've a feeling that the T&A shirts you mentioned being at £54 are probably the outgoing season's shirts, not solid basics like a blue poplin or white twill? I am less inclined to have my friend make choices for me of that nature. Perhaps I should just have one of you UK AAAC members kidnap the poor boy and show him how to dress like an English gentleman.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I've a feeling that the T&A shirts you mentioned being at £54 are probably the outgoing season's shirts, not solid basics like a blue poplin or white twill? I am less inclined to have my friend make choices for me of that nature. Perhaps I should just have one of you UK AAAC members kidnap the poor boy and show him how to dress like an English gentleman.
Most of the shirts were not plain but it would be pot-luck with the options available in your size.

As for your friend, it would be a nice project -
Chester Barrie or Wensum: RTW suit
Charvet: shirts
Edward Green: RTW shoes
Swaine: umbrella, leather briefcase with a matching wallet

Get him booked at Murdock - https://www.murdocklondon.com
Tea at The Ritz
Havanna's from JJ Fox - at least he will get a chance to smoke some decent cigars

· Registered
562 Posts
That's the Prince's Arcade (not to be confused w/ the nearby Burlington Arcade adjacent to the RADA), right?
Burlington Arcade is next to the Royal Academy. RADA (The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art) is in Gower St. Nothing worth shopping for near there. (Well maybe Russell & Hodge and Jonathan Quearney).

Leon

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the centre square at the base of the map PJC has posted you will see Jermyn St. There is an arcade leading from Jermyn St to Piccadilly just below the blue building marked Royal Academy of Arts. The ties etc at the shop Bowring and Arundel on the Jermyn St entrance are lovely and he may find some ties and blazer buttons etc in Benson and Clegg which have more military/club designs.

Lewin towards the Regent St end of Jermyn St has lower prices and a very good selection of ties.

The top floor of Fortnum and Mason has some interesting accessories and the store is worth a visit in any event.
I was looking through the website for Benson & Clegg. At the risk of sounding naivé, are there 'rules' about wearing university/military ties in the UK? In the US many people wear apparel (tshirts and sweatshirts mostly) from schools with which they have no affiliation, but our schools don't really have unique ties/buttons/links. Is that considered taboo across the pond? I would think nothing of wearing an Oxford tie if I liked the looks of it, but I am curious. I have a feeling that it is perhaps more acceptable these days than in the past.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
Burlington Arcade is next to the Royal Academy. RADA (The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art) is in Gower St. Nothing worth shopping for near there. (Well maybe Russell & Hodge and Jonathan Quearney).

Leon
Doh! Of course, not the RADA but the RAA . . . that's what I meant to type.

Do you know anything about Bowring & Arundel being around nowadays?

Maybe it's the Piccadilly Arcade I was thinking of . . .

· Registered
562 Posts
At the risk of sounding naivé, are there 'rules' about wearing university/military ties in the UK? In the US many people wear apparel (tshirts and sweatshirts mostly) from schools with which they have no affiliation, but our schools don't really have unique ties/buttons/links. Is that considered taboo across the pond? I would think nothing of wearing an Oxford tie if I liked the looks of it, but I am curious. I have a feeling that it is perhaps more acceptable these days than in the past.
See threads passim.

Leon

· Registered
562 Posts
Do you know anything about Bowring & Arundel being around nowadays?

Maybe it's the Piccadilly Arcade I was thinking of . . .
Only that the name is on the window of New & Lingwood.

I don't the names of all those arcades: Princes, Opera, Royal etc. I get confused. The Burlington Arcade now advertises as a single unit, but much has changed there recently.

Leon

· Registered
5,852 Posts
As Leon says although part of New and Lingwood the Bowring and Arundel name is still on the window. I used it to refer to the N&W shop with ties etc.
Thank you. I've visited that New & Lingwood shop, but never noticed the B&A logo displayed there. It's the smaller shop across from the larger N&L store at the mouth of the Piccadilly Arcade, kind of like a cockpit or cubbyhole o' fine ties--it's another place where the OP could send his colleague and feel confident that the purchase of tasteful neckwear would be the upshot.

If skinnier ties are what's wanted, a stroll up the arcade to Mark Stephen Marengo might be helpful:

_

· Registered
1,514 Posts
I have no idea what this means?
See past threads.

Hey-ho, I'll outline since I'm replying.

The convention here is a big no-no since wearing university/college/society ties/badges/etc denote affiliation or membership.

However, I note that a great deal of places that sell these ties to the public indiscriminately. But some university ties you can only get via the university's website or shop and they are sold to anyone.

I suppose you could get away with wearing a standard Oxford University tie but not a tie of an Oxford college...

If your school does not have a tie, you could petition the school to have an official tie; or gather a small group of alumni who wants one and have a one off set made by a custom tie maker, unofficially.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
See past threads.

Hey-ho, I'll outline since I'm replying.

The convention here is a big no-no since wearing university/college/society ties/badges/etc denote affiliation or membership.

However, I note that a great deal of places that sell these ties to the public indiscriminately. But some university ties you can only get via the university's website or shop and they are sold to anyone.

I suppose you could get away with wearing a standard Oxford University tie but not a tie of an Oxford college...

If your school does not have a tie, you could petition the school to have an official tie; or gather a small group of alumni who wants one and have a one off set made by a custom tie maker, unofficially.
Good sources of striped ties in American college colors include Hansen's Clothing of Iowa, BeauTies Limited of Vermont, and SamHober.com.

Smart Turnout in the UK also has a small selection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.