Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a few hours in the Brussels airport so checked out their watch shop. There was a slimline automatic, model FC-306V4S4, that really caught my eye: slim (8mm), smallish (40mm), simple and elegant (https://www.amazon.com/FREDERIQUE-CO.../dp/B01M8IH0EB). Prices have dipped as low as $700 on Jomashop, so there could be deals to be had.

I thought the watch looked very nice on the wrist, and I could imagine it as a dressier watch that I could still wear to the office, but I'm wondering if it is too dressy. I rarely wear a jacket, mostly slacks & dress shirt, no tie. My other watch is a steel-on-steel Omega Prestige with a similar silver dial, so something in a softer gold/brown would be a nice complement.

I've read a lot about the general opinions on FC watches, so I know they have a good reputation, especially at the lower end. Wondering how this watch would look in my neck of the fashion woods. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

scott

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Classic / timeless design - very nice.

IMHO, as the old rules and practices have fallen away, wearing that watch with a dress shirt and dress slacks (sans jacket and tie) seems perfectly fine to me.

A dress shirt and slacks puts you on the dressy side of most today, so a dress watch would look fine with that outfit.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Classic / timeless design - very nice.

IMHO, as the old rules and practices have fallen away, wearing that watch with a dress shirt and dress slacks (sans jacket and tie) seems perfectly fine to me.

A dress shirt and slacks puts you on the dressy side of most today, so a dress watch would look fine with that outfit.
I have a FC auto 36.5 mm that runs on a ETA 2892 A2 which is top of the line movement picked up on ebay several years ago in like new condition, also have a FC quartz slimline which is even thinner that is a bit more dressy. After I regulated the 2892 A2 it keeps almost quartz like accuracy. The same movement used in high end watches costing thousands more. Even if it's a 2824-2, movement your still getting a fine watch. It boils down to size and cosmetics and of course price. Great looking watch.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up. I hate to tell you what I paid for mine. If you're not in a rush, keep looking. A 2892 A2___top, 2824-2 ____just below, Valjoux more complications but no better than 2892 A. I hope this helps you.
Yes, this is very helpful. The 306 does seem to use the 2824-2 movement; modified perhaps to remove the second hand? I'm in no rush, so can wait and keep looking for a good price. I don't mind a used watch.

I do have a question. You wrote:
After I regulated the 2892 A2 it keeps almost quartz like accuracy.
What do you mean "regulated?" Serviced?

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Yes, this is very helpful. The 306 does seem to use the 2824-2 movement; modified perhaps to remove the second hand? I'm in no rush, so can wait and keep looking for a good price. I don't mind a used watch.

I do have a question. You wrote:

What do you mean "regulated?" Serviced?
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. ETA movements have a very good system to regulate their accuracy, I have several watches with both movements and several others with somewhat different movements, different brands. I do not suggest anyone attempt to do this unless they are somewhat familiar with the procedure and have proper tools, they are delicate instruments and one slip can damage them, I practiced on clunkers until I became confident enough to work on them. Regulating may take days or weeks to achieve especially if it does not have a second hand. Best left to a professional. In fact, might not need any regulating at all. Mechanical watches are considered accurate if they fall within 15-20 seconds a day, plus or minus. Keep in mind they may require servicing every 5-8 years, cleaning and lubricating. You mentioned you have a Omega Prestige, there's a good chance it may be driven by an ETA 2892-A2 if it's not quartz. Good luck in your quest.

· Registered
184 Posts
Hi all,

I had a few hours in the Brussels airport so checked out their watch shop. There was a slimline automatic, model FC-306V4S4, that really caught my eye: slim (8mm), smallish (40mm), simple and elegant (https://www.amazon.com/FREDERIQUE-CO.../dp/B01M8IH0EB). Prices have dipped as low as $700 on Jomashop, so there could be deals to be had.

I thought the watch looked very nice on the wrist, and I could imagine it as a dressier watch that I could still wear to the office, but I'm wondering if it is too dressy. I rarely wear a jacket, mostly slacks & dress shirt, no tie. My other watch is a steel-on-steel Omega Prestige with a similar silver dial, so something in a softer gold/brown would be a nice complement.

I've read a lot about the general opinions on FC watches, so I know they have that's a good reputation, especially at the lower end. Wondering how this watch would look in my neck of the fashion woods. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

scott
I always take the view that watches are highly personal things. You should buy them if they please you, and only you can make that decision.

I think that's a very handsome watch, with a touch of the Patek Calatrava or the Jaeger LeCoultre Gentilhomme about it.

To be honest, you probably need more than one watch; most men find that they do. You need a good, dressy watch and a good "beater" for knocking about at weekends. And then you'll probably need more, because you'll be hooked.

Mechanical watches are miraculous things: pieces of metal that tell the time. Your FC is a very nice one, and if you like it, go ahead and buy it.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I've loved my Omega Prestige () which has a similar simple, silver face but steel/silver bezel & bracelet. It's been incredibly durable, great for casual and dressy wear (34mm is on the small size, but not looks good). And I love the idea of a mechanical watch, even if they are a bit thicker than a quartz.

I'm shopping around for price now, and at some point impatience vs. price lines will cross!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.