Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that the collar of my first TM Lewin shirt, which I bought more than 5 years ago and have worn fairly regularly, is starting to fray at the points. While this is disappointing, I was wondering if I could reduce the chance of this happening again if I ironed my collars differently? Currently, I iron while the shirt is damp, and for the collar I iron the outside (folded over side) first, from the collar band to the points using the side of the iron (not the point). Then I fold the collar properly and lightly iron along the fold.

As far as my shirt is concerned, I know I could have the collar replaced, convert it into a detachable collar, or relegate it to weekend wear, but does anyone know if it is possible to repair/restitch the collar points?

Geoff

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I don't remember where I read this, but I did read somewhere recently that a frayed collar was a true signof being a "blue blood". Its the whole, I'm so rich I don't give a toss how I look. I wear nice things, and OLD nice things, because things from long ago were always made better than things made today. Well, thats what the artcile was getting at anyway.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I just discovered that the collar of my first TM Lewin shirt, which I bought more than 5 years ago and have worn fairly regularly, is starting to fray at the points. While this is disappointing, I was wondering if I could reduce the chance of this happening again if I ironed my collars differently? Currently, I iron while the shirt is damp, and for the collar I iron the outside (folded over side) first, from the collar band to the points using the side of the iron (not the point). Then I fold the collar properly and lightly iron along the fold.

As far as my shirt is concerned, I know I could have the collar replaced, convert it into a detachable collar, or relegate it to weekend wear, but does anyone know if it is possible to repair/restitch the collar points?

Geoff
I iron shirts the same way, except I use a spray bottle to moisten a dry shirt rather than iron a damp one. The biggest difference (If it exists.) is that I use a good liquid fabric softner to launder shirts. This makes a night and day difference in how easy a shirt is to iron. I'd have to think this would result in less stress to the fabric during the ironing process.

But five years is a pretty good run for a regularly worn shirt, and I don't know if any change would have made much difference. If you love the shirt, you could take it to a shirtmaker and ask him to put white collar and cuffs on it, if the price isn't greater than a new shirt. Otherwise, disposing of it in some manner might be the best course.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
its the iron thats wearing out the collar points.
dont iron the collar or dont wear the shirt.
5 years is pretty good wear.
you might try ironing the points only on the back side.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I recently started a thread about shiny woolens that hits on a similar theme. I don't think that a slightly frayed collar really looks all that bad. Wear it for a little while longer until it starts to become badly frayed. Then toss it out. I've seen Glen O'Brien (GQ's "Style Guy" - say what you want but he is dapper) say that the Barney's patriarch wore frayed shirt collars in a very dapper manner.

Like the others have said anyhow, 5 years is good wear.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Lewin has been putting shirts on sale for as low as 19 or 20 GBP lately, which w/ the VAT deduction works out to about $25 per shirt. At those prices, it would be cheaper just to get a new shirt rather than pay a tailor to stick on a new collar, or convert it to a tunic shirt capable of taking an attached collar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't remember where I read this, but I did read somewhere recently that a frayed collar was a true signof being a "blue blood". Its the whole, I'm so rich I don't give a toss how I look. I wear nice things, and OLD nice things, because things from long ago were always made better than things made today. Well, thats what the artcile was getting at anyway.
This is quite amusing. I wonder what kind of reputation it would take for anyone to interpret a frayed collar in such a manner. You'd have to explain the entire story, and that would make you quite the nice person.

Getting 5 years out of the shirt is impressive, and why not try to get more out of it by converting to detachable collars?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.