Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to take advantage of the end of season sales to find some "dressy" boots for those nasty slush/rain/snow days that seem to make up about 2/3rds of Chicago's seasons.

I'm also feeling pretty cheap (what else is new :icon_smile_wink:) so I'd like to keep the price under $100 (after discounts/sales).

I've been looking at "beeswax" DBs/Chukkas but I'm not sure how they would stand up to the weather.

I have a pair of waterproof "work" boots, so these would just be something for walking down the streets, and across parking lots. While if they could squeak by with a suit in a pinch that would be a big bonus, just something that will look good in the wool trousers/cotton chinos/jeans range is more than sufficient. I'm looking for something that doesn't scream "BOOT!" but will clean up easy, and keep my feet a bit dryer than a normal loafer or oxford.

Oh - and I would prefer something in the medium brown to tan range (darker than Original DB "sand")
So... given these criteria, what are your suggestions?

(Quick Tip for other Chicago board readers - Nordstroms of Old Orchard has 2 or 3 pairs of AE Augustas on the Reduced rack for about $150. I think there were a pair of 9s, a 9.5, and maybe an 8.5? Might have been a different AE as well. Both types were "tan" or "walnut" nicely brogued. Maybe some wear and tear from being on display. I know I'm going to regret not getting the 9.5's but it was just more than I allow myself for an impulse buy. Good luck!).

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
It's pricier than what you've set as your price range, but I've gotten good use already this winter out of these:

Price aside, I think they fit rest of your requirements. My only complaint is that the bootlaces they come with aren't great, but that's easily remedied.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are beautiful, but well above what I can do for the moment. I like that unless your pant leg rides up they would look just like a extra nice pair of captoes :)

I would also be happy with something a couple steps more casual - trousers, cords, khakis, and jeans are what these will probably be most often worn with.

Thank you for the quick reply!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Those are beautiful, but well above what I can do for the moment. I like that unless your pant leg rides up they would look just like a extra nice pair of captoes :)

I would also be happy with something a couple steps more casual - trousers, cords, khakis, and jeans are what these will probably be most often worn with.

Thank you for the quick reply!
As of last week, AE was selling factory seconds in these or the Malvern Chukka for $149! I know that's a little more than your budget, but it's a killer deal.

You should call the factory store and ask ... they're open weekends, BTW.

Allen Edmonds Factory Store
201 East Seven Hills Road
Port Washington, WI 53074
T - 262-284-7158

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sub $100?

Uh... Dr. Martens? Kenneth Coles? What does jbanks.com have for sale? You can knock off 20% if you have a corporate card.

Honestly, I have no idea. I bought the Malvern seconds for $149 + shipping.

·
2,973 Posts
As of last week, AE was selling factory seconds in these or the Malvern Chukka for $149! I know that's a little more than your budget, but it's a killer deal.

You should call the factory store and ask ... they're open weekends, BTW.

Allen Edmonds Factory Store
201 East Seven Hills Road
Port Washington, WI 53074
T - 262-284-7158
If by "these" you mean the Bayfields, that seems an exceptional deal.

Gurdon

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'm trying to stay <$100 so most of these are all out side the budget...

Though I am intrigued by the AE seconds - how do you find these? Are they online somewhere or do you need to call the factory on a weekly basis or something?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah I'm trying to stay <$100 so most of these are all out side the budget...

Though I am intrigued by the AE seconds - how do you find these? Are they online somewhere or do you need to call the factory on a weekly basis or something?
I think there's a newsletter you can sign up for. I just call them when I get the urge or hear a rumour like the $149 boots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a pair of Bayfields I got specifically for this reason and I'm pretty happy with them. I got them for free when I sent in a pair of shoes for recrafting and after 3 tries they were unable to get the finish right on them. I only paid $30 on eBay for the shoes I sent in, so I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
How much are Bayfield seconds? They're on sale for $300 (only $50 off retail), so I don't exactly see them dropping under $200 for seconds.
As of a week ago, they were on sale for $149 - just not in my size (12 EEE). I don't know whether or not the sale is still on, but if it is, I would guess they're running out of stock fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
As of a week ago, they were on sale for $149 - just not in my size (12 EEE). I don't know whether or not the sale is still on, but if it is, I would guess they're running out of stock fairly quickly.
Thats a good price for the Bayfied. I'm just not sold on them. They look too casual for what I want them for. Besides, I'm not in Portland anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Untrue. Where did you hear that?

There's a picture (if its still up) on SF with a Bayfield recrafted with a leather sole. It looks odd to me.
I was on the AE website but did not see a "Recraftable" tab on any of the boots. The other shoes, such as the PA, have such a tab and when you click on it the description reads, "This style is recraftable." I did not know whether the omission was accidental or whether the AE boots are not recraftable which lead me to ask.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.