Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have just acquired a new tuxedo that I will be wearing this Saturday, and I kind of went all-out on my accessories. I ordered a pair of Thurston white moire silk braces, and a pair of AE Kendalls(I know, they're bluchers:eek:), so I didn't really want to spend the extra money for a nice formal shirt.
Since I happen to have a really nice Ike Behar shirt, spread collar, french cuff, that is made of the same pique fabric that they use for their formal shirts, I'll wear it. I don't see any problem with it.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
My observations tell me that the trend of late is toward simplicity. More and more men seem to be wearing button front shirts these days with tuxedos. I also notice that many of these same men are leaving the cummerbund or vest at home also, something that is bound to be met with much wailing and gnashing of teeth by the purists.

My latest shirt acquisition is an Eagle brand white on white herringbone with a semi spread collar and French cuffs. I bought it primarily to wear with a tuxedo despite the fact that it isn't made to accept studs. That's OK because even if it had been I would have used a button strip instead. I did have to remove a pocket which was the subject of another thread, and that little project turned out great.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Cuff links alone are fine...but I'd advise pants also.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Personally, I love studs! However, for one who does not, I recommend getting a blind placket formal shirt. Buttons, even though a strip of them comes with many formal, pleated shirts, do not look right with a dinner suit, in my opinion. It looks like you couldn't afford studs, didn't know better, or were too lazy to use them. At least with a blind placket shirt front, those questions will not be raised.

Here's one with a "hidden button placket":

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
There are worse things than mother of pearl buttons with evening wear, though I agree that it looks more complete with the contrast of black onyx down the placket.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Plain buttons should be your last resort. As Cruiser notes, they are increasingly popular, but they are also rather bland. Minimalist black tie is about as much fun as minimalist music.

If you don't like the look of black studs, you could always go for mother of pearl studs. The fly front (fly front=covered placket=French front) isn't a bad option either, though it's never been quite to my taste.

Finally, pearl buttons are acceptable, though I would go with a pleated or pique shirt. After all, black tie is supposed to be fun.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree that studs can feel a little dressy for some. Although we are talking eveningwear so ideally we should make the effort....Personally i need a cummerbund. Im not overweight particularly but i feel sufficiently supported and reined in with a cummerbund. Its like a bra for men.....
My solution on the shirt front is to find a simple pleat front shirt (i have one in cotton voile from Kligour) where the placket is covered (ie the pearl buttons dont go all the way through) which makes for a very clean front. It feels somewhat Bondian. Provided everything else is present and correct that is.....

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
After all, black tie is supposed to be fun.
It is? Actually I find most black tie events to be somewhat stuffy and boring. I'm not saying that one cannot have fun at a black tie event, but I find that if I do have fun it isn't due to the fact that it is black tie. I think the fun is more likely due to the fact that there is a bar. To me it's just one of those things you have to do on occasion.

But hey, I realize that I'm in the minority here. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Man, I would love to have any occasion to dress in black tie. Me and my friends are fun people (if I do say so myself), and I've gotten at least one of them interested in proper black tie with the Black Tie Guide... maybe you should come down here sometime. :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Man, I would love to have any occasion to dress in black tie. Me and my friends are fun people (if I do say so myself), and I've gotten at least one of them interested in proper black tie with the Black Tie Guide... maybe you should come down here sometime. :)
Host your own event - start a trend, call it the first annual whatever and do it every year - do it for charity, send out EXPLICIT invites. Do some hors d'oeuvres and cocktails and music - after 6pm naturally.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I resubmit the "Dinner at Eight" concept, for those whose dinner suits need to be "taken out" occasionally, but have no venue.

We go to a different "fine dining" (or as near as we can find) restaurant each month. Someone acts as host, issues invitations specifying "Cocktails at 7:00 p. m. - Dinner at 8:00 p. m. - Black Tie." It started when four gents went to the Bel Air Hotel and decided to "dress for dinner."

We invariably get admiring comments from well-dressed women, and glowers from their slovenly men. Just make your own "occasion" and do it!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I sometimes wear studs (sterling knots) with matching links, but I prefer to wear the plain buttons on my formal shirt and have a little fun with the links.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Actually I find most black tie events to be somewhat stuffy and boring. I'm not saying that one cannot have fun at a black tie event, but I find that if I do have fun it isn't due to the fact that it is black tie. I think the fun is more likely due to the fact that there is a bar. To me it's just one of those things you have to do on occasion.
Positive thinking, my good man. As the Black Tie Guide notes, the tuxedo was adopted for the express purpose of hangin' loose with the bros. And no man should pass up even the slightest chance of looking like James Bond.:cool:

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Positive thinking, my good man. As the Black Tie Guide notes, the tuxedo was adopted for the express purpose of hangin' loose with the bros. And no man should pass up even the slightest chance of looking like James Bond.:cool:
I don't mean to imply that I never have fun at such an event, I do; but when I do I don't attribute it to the fact that I have on a tuxedo. It would have been fun either way. It just seems that most black tie events are more stuffy than other social events or parties that I attend.

I will admit that somewhere out there is a video of me doing the macarena in the wee morning hours and I did appear to be having fun (I don't remember much), but since most jackets had been shed and bow ties undone by that time I don't know if it really qualified as a black tie affair anymore. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have been to hundreds of formal and semi-formal events. One of the reasons they are black tie is so that there is a standard way of dressing, which includes studs. I think to most people, leaving the studs at home will not look cool or trendy. It will look like you rented the dinner jacket and don't really know any better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.