Men's Clothing Forums banner

Formal Yacht Attire????

32K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Alexander Kabbaz 
#1 ·
Longtime reader first time poster looking for some input. I am attending a wedding this weekend at an upscale East-End Long Island yacht club and the invitation calls for “Formal Yacht Attire.” Would love to hear what other members think this means. FYI, I was thinking blue BB blazer gold buttons, gray slacks, white shirt french cuff MTM shirt and perhaps a BB ascot and pocket square, however I fear that it may seem a bit costume'ish (maybe appropriate given the fact that it is a day after Halloween :icon_smile:). Thanks in advance for the help.

#28 ·
I would think ...

that a blazer and a double cuff shirt are definately the thing. No ascot - a tie - with sailing motiff.

On the pants - I also thought white but then remembered it's the winter (( Red ones are nice - but some would consider them to be a bit casual.

On the shoes - difficult thing - if it's a boat you do not want to slip - so rubber soles would be better. But boat shoes look too "boat weekend on a boat"

Do tell us what you wore.

Andrey

#29 ·
My father was very into the yacht look and we always wore the same outfits on Sundays etc when we went sailing or around our cottage. Navy 6 brass button DB blazer, white trousers, white shoes, ascot and white cap. I always felt like I should have white hair and speak in a Boston accent. I would certainly check with the host/hostess before going Thurston Howell III.

#30 ·
Formal Yacht Attire -- Update

First of all, let me thank all those who took the time to share their insight and opinion, I truly appreciate it.

So...I have since learned that there will be no boating, therefore boat shoes will not be required. I have also learned that the men in the wedding party will be wearing blue blazers and khakis.

My final decission -- BB navy blazer, gold buttons, gray flannel trousers, white FC shirt, AE loafers, tie & pocket square (color/pattern t.b.d).

Interesting side note, groom told my wife that he utterly regrets the wording on the invite and had to field phone dozens of calls over the past few weeks from confused guests.

#31 ·
This is WINTER. You never, ever wear summer whites in winter in nautical kit.

I met a Weimar Kreigsmariner who fled nazi Germany whose work with the british is still classified.
Fascinating old gent, he came to a military wedding in full uniform boasting both the Iron Cross 1st class and all these R.N. medals. That got looks!

It's best to ask your host.
What about winter whites? I've never been in the Navy (ours, the Royal Navy, or the Kreigsmarine, for that matter) but I seem to remember my father, formerly of the USN, mentioning winter whites.

Your Weimar Kreigsmariner must have been QUITE a sight!

#33 ·
You Can't Win

Sorry to post again, but I just noticed -- in my annoyingly precise way -- that while this is indeed Admiral of the Fleet Sir David Beatty GCB etc., at the time this photo was taken -- presumably around the time of Jutland -- he was a vice-admiral.
No problem. But if I'd said "Curret Rank" Beatty someone else would have bitched because I didn't say "King-Fish Highest Rank" Beatty...

#36 ·
So true... we are an amazingly, obsessively, neurotically precise bunch of people on this forum :)
Republicans, eh? :icon_smile_big:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.