Men's Clothing Forums banner

Formal Yacht Attire????

32K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Alexander Kabbaz 
#1 ·
Longtime reader first time poster looking for some input. I am attending a wedding this weekend at an upscale East-End Long Island yacht club and the invitation calls for “Formal Yacht Attire.” Would love to hear what other members think this means. FYI, I was thinking blue BB blazer gold buttons, gray slacks, white shirt french cuff MTM shirt and perhaps a BB ascot and pocket square, however I fear that it may seem a bit costume'ish (maybe appropriate given the fact that it is a day after Halloween :icon_smile:). Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 ·
Longtime reader first time poster looking for some input. I am attending a wedding this weekend at an upscale East-End Long Island yacht club and the invitation calls for "Formal Yacht Attire." Would love to hear what other members think this means. FYI, I was thinking blue BB blazer gold buttons, gray slacks, white shirt french cuff MTM shirt and perhaps a BB ascot and pocket square, however I fear that it may seem a bit costume'ish (maybe appropriate given the fact that it is a day after Halloween :icon_smile:). Thanks in advance for the help.
I think you are certainly moving in the right direction. Blazers have a nautical provenance after all. But, given that this event is "formal", and given your correct assumption that an ascot may come across as a bit contume-y, I'd wear a tie. I think either a subdued, semi-solid grey tie, or a classic American repp - such as the ubiquitous navy and gold thick stripe. French cuffs and blazers generally are a touch dicey, but in this case I say you are fine, just make sure your cuff links don't bling too much.

I'm interested to hear what other members suggest for footwear - bit loafers?

#3 ·
Sag Harbour? Seawanaka?

Will you be going on boats?

Are they sailors? Or do they have a stinkpot?

I would recommend calling your hosts to confirm how formal or informal it will be.

If less than formal, not black tie, can't go wrong with white trousers, db blazer, and yachting cap a la Judge Smails in Caddy Shack. Or red trousers/Nant Reds, sb blazer, and appropriate tie & pocket square. Still with yachting cap. Chipp II, Paul Winston, used to have a tie, and I don't remember if I saw some the last time I was in, that spelled out in nautical signal flags "permission to lay alongside?" Sounds perfect for your event - his # is 212-687-0850.

Or if black tie, red trousers and dinner jacket.

If you'll be on boats I would recommend appropriate footwear, which is fully acceptable, as is your foul weather gear jacket over all.

Thanks.

#6 ·
I do like the idea of white or red trousers as well. I bet it would be easier to find white in a more formal fabric such as wool twill. I don't think cotton would be very formal. White would only work during the day of course.

#7 · (Edited)
This is WINTER. You never, ever wear summer whites in winter in nautical kit.

I met a Weimar Kreigsmariner who fled nazi Germany whose work with the british is still classified.
Fascinating old gent, he came to a military wedding in full uniform boasting both the Iron Cross 1st class and all these R.N. medals. That got looks!

It's best to ask your host.

#8 ·
This is WINTER. You never, ever wear summer whites in winter in nautical kit.

I met a Weimar Kreigsmariner who fled nazi Germany whose work with the british is still classified.
Fascinating old gent, he came to a military wedding in full uniform boasting both the Iron Cross 1st class and all these R.N. medals. That got looks!

It's best to ask your host.
Excellent point. Slipped my mind.

#13 ·
Check with your hosts ... but living in the town adjacent to Montauk I might wear a blue or navy blazer preferably with metal buttons, white or silver-grey turtleneck/mock turtleneck, and flannel grey trousers. Depending upon the occasion and my hosts' comments, I might wear:

A white shirt with necktie

An open sport-collared white shirt with an ascot

Charcoal trousers

Red Turtleneck

Shirt-matching or fancier pocket square

Flannel grey or more colorful socks

Shoes is a question which must be asked. If you will be boating you must wear boat shoes for the protection of the decking.

#14 ·
Montauk Yacht Club is not a traditional yacht club, it is a resort and spa open to the public.
Formal tradionally means white tie and tails, and is rarely seen at even traditional yacht clubs.
I would check with the host but definitly avoid whites and footwear is key. On board or on land?
I suspect blazer and tie with darker slack for the season would be fine but you really need to check the hosts definition of formal.

#16 ·
Even the most diehard East Enders will go no farther than khaki or tan when the temperature here is right now 38.

#18 ·
Alternatives could be the Johnny Depp/John Belushi Pirate look or, my favourite; crumpled cap, white turtleneck under grey leather coat with a pair of 9x50 bridge binnoculars with untrimmed beard.

Now I know why I stopped wearing my old issue peacoat.

#21 ·
Although...

Best look i ever saw was at the Royal Yacht Squadron: drainpipe white trousers (nothing baggy or off white - definitely not beige) with striped socks in solid black oxford shoes (proper lace ups - none of that loafer nonsense) and high 8 button (clearly ancient bespoke) reefer over white shirt and club tie. Priceless.

#22 ·
#24 ·
12' at the slip! Cool. I could get ours in there.

Everyone knows that how much water there is at the slip is more important than what you're wearing. :icon_smile_big:

I'd guess navy blazer, white turn-down collared shirt, tie and grey slacks.

No leather soled shoes if you're going on board- or you'll be in stocking feet.

#25 ·

Everyone knows that how much water there is at the slip is more important than what you're wearing. :icon_smile_big:
At last!

#26 ·

We're only 13 miles from the slip. Let me know when you're 1/2 hour out. I'll send the car to bring you right over to the shirt studio. You'll probably find me waiting in the men's sock room. :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.