• Plain Wing

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Pique Wing

Votes: 5 15.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
The shirts I have made are not an option listed above, so I selected the closest one, plain front/laydown collar.

I have shirts made with a pique front, but they have a laydown collar.

On a few of them, just for fun, I've had the bib done in a white herringbone fabric, but the rest of the shirt is plain white broadcloth.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It looks like you'll have to re-do the poll - most people are voting for the only option you left out (pique laydown aka marcella turndown).

I'm surpised that anyone on this board would vote for a pleated wing collar!
Ahhhhhh!!I need to study my British English!!I thought turndown WAS wing.And until now,I thought marcella front shirts were either detachable wing,or attached wing.Had I known they had them in the laydown variety,I would yhave been using that instead of wing.Well,I'll adjust it as such.And I don't much care for pleated wing either.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I take a "horses for courses" approach, so I didn't vote in the poll either.

For less formal events where I might, say, wear a white dinner jacket with a cummerbund, I would always choose a laydown collar. I tend to prefer a pleated front in this instance as well in the spirit of relaxation.

For more "dressed up" events (when in times past white tie might have been called for) I will sometimes choose a pique, bib front with detachable collar that others think only appropriate for white tie. I would only wear this with my peaked lapel dinner jacket and a low cut vest though. I will even occassionally throw in the white pique vest from the white tie rig as well (as in my avatar picture above).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It really depends on the occasion.

If I can't be bothered, I go for a marcella front and marcella turndown collar. If I feel like it, I go for a plain tunic with either a stiff wing or turndown collar (sometimes I use this combo for subfusc). I am thinking of acquiring a marcella front turndown with studs from M&S and a marcella tunic version from VSC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.