Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions as to where to find formal gloves (white,preferably chamois or doeskin leather).All of the formal gloves I've seen are nylon,even on better sites.Has it come to the point where nylon gloves are becoming acceptable?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Most formal gloves for men these days seem to be made of white cotton or nylon. Many people just don't wear formal clothing on a regular basis anymore, and therefore, don't know the rules, don't want to spend a lot of money and/or simply don't care.

Nonetheless, there are still places that sell formal leather gloves. Most are Web-based businesses that allow you to place on-line orders.

Here are two Web sites I can recommend: https://florentinegloves.com/mens.html

P.S. I am a glove afficionado, and the proud owner of nine pairs of white kid gloves, which I wear with my ball gowns. All are vintage, and most were given to me by family members.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most formal gloves for men these days seem to be made of white cotton or nylon. Many people just don't wear formal clothing on a regular basis anymore, and therefore, don't know the rules, don't want to spend a lot of money and/or simply don't care.

Nonetheless, there are still places that sell formal leather gloves. Most are Web-based businesses that allow you to place on-line orders.

Here are two Web sites I can recommend: https://florentinegloves.com/mens.html

P.S. I am a glove afficionado, and the proud owner of nine pairs of white kid gloves, which I wear with my ball gowns. All are vintage, and most were given to me by family members.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
www.leatherglovesonline.com has a wide variety of gloves available for both men and women. Men's gloves include black, white, and gray formal gloves, lined or unlined, protective coating and very grippy. I haven't ordered from them, but probably will soon. Their prices seem very reasonable, especially on their ultra-thin leather gloves.

pbc

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
www.leatherglovesonline.com has a wide variety of gloves available for both men and women. Men's gloves include black, white, and gray formal gloves, lined or unlined, protective coating and very grippy. I haven't ordered from them, but probably will soon. Their prices seem very reasonable, especially on their ultra-thin leather gloves.

pbc
Excellent!I can even get a pair for morning dress.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Chester Jeffries is also worth considering, particularly for their made to measure service:
Seconded!

Just send them a tracing of your hand(s) and they will make a bespoke pair for you with whatever lining you choose.

A light grey suede is the most classical dress glove for daytime full dress. White gloves are best for evening full dress.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most formal gloves for men these days seem to be made of white cotton or nylon. Many people just don't wear formal clothing on a regular basis anymore, and therefore, don't know the rules.
I myself am curious as to the rules of formal gloves, as it seems most are cotton/satin/silk and it would make sense for the tactile function. Leather is suited for outdoors. And most "victorian" movies and television shows I've viewed, they're wearing cotton. Not sure about parade dress and formal occassions for military, but don't they wear thick cotton gloves as well?

If one were to wear gloves with a black top hat, black cutaway, striped pants, and dove-grey waistcoat for morning attire, what color would the gloves be?
Dove grey or a dark grey if you can find them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.