Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been invited to a formal tea, the time is 12:30 - 4:00. i have chose to wear a heather gray dress w/royal blue trim and a short sleeve waist length cover up with the same royal blue trim. I have black flats and plan on a silver cuff bracelet and silver necklace. I want to pick a small purse to add some POW to my outfit. Any advise??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may be too late and your event is over but....

I like the bag Shaver has chosen (clean,simple & classic) but personally would choose the black option to pick up the black in your shoes.

I know a matching shoe and bag, may not be the done thing in the fashion world at the moment but as you have Royal blue trim on your outfit you should be able to carry it off. :icon_smile:

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I always thought that High Tea was when the legendary kettle-slingers of the Old West battled it out at the P.G. Corral. :icon_smile:
Do you generally agree with the directions pertaining to brewing tea at the bottom of the linked page, Shaver? Is there anything that you may add to this, please?

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Do you generally agree with the directions pertaining to brewing tea at the bottom of the linked page, Shaver? Is there anything that you may add to this, please?
Those directions are very accurate. I would add that fresh water and freshly boiled is essential for taste - never, ever, re-boil water that has been boiled before and left standing in the kettle. I'm not much of a tea-pot user myself and tend to brew in the cup, which must be pre-heated with the boiled water and then emptied before adding the tea bag and pouring water on. Tea bags have to be of the best possible quality (I prefer Tesco's finest English Breakfast) or there is no point in making tea at all. Leave the bag in the cup to percolate as required for taste. Once the bag is removed add sugar and milk as desired, stir and drink. Preferably with a cigarette but you may be relieved to hear that this is not compulsory!

Finally anything called 'tea' which is not made from tea leaves is simply silly e.g. various herbal infusions and the notion of decaffeinated tea perplexes me somewhat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to add something, if I may, it concerns using a tea pot...which is an item very much in constant use in our house.

I was taught (by my Grandma) to never, ever wash a teapot in dish washing liquid eg Fairy liquid. Washing in dish washing liquid or soap, I was told can leave a 'tainted' taste to the tea. I've never washed a teapot so can't claim this as a 'truth' but to me would seem to make sense.

After use rinse the teapot with hot water, wipe inside with a clean cotton cloth to remove residue, rinse with further clean hot water dry and put away for later.

If the teapot is in constant use (as ours is) and it gets coated with tannin then a quick scrub with a non soapy scourer will remove any tannin quite easily, rinse and continue using.

I'm not sure if this is the type of extra info' that could useful to anyone...but hope it may be.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I always thought that High Tea was when the legendary kettle-slingers of the Old West battled it out at the P.G. Corral. :icon_smile:
"Any well-bred petty crook knows that the small concealable weapons go to the far left of the place setting."

·
Registered
459 Posts
Tea bags have to be of the best possible quality (I prefer Tesco's finest English Breakfast) or there is no point in making tea at all..
Having never tasted the stuff myself but knowing the brand I must inquire as to whether or not you are pulling our legs... this reads to me like "the finest Harris Tweed from Wal-Mart" which, as we know, seems unlikely but is not impossible!

Off to put the kettle on....

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Having never tasted the stuff myself but knowing the brand I must inquire as to whether or not you are pulling our legs... this reads to me like "the finest Harris Tweed from Wal-Mart" which, as we know, seems unlikely but is not impossible!

Off to put the kettle on....
As tea-bags go they are really very good. Even a lousy multi-national can obtain quality merchandise if they try. :icon_smile_wink:

EDIT: I think there may be a minor cultural misunderstanding here. I am not describing Tesco's tea-bags as 'finest'. They actually have a premium range of products, more expensive and better quality, which they themselves call 'Tesco's Finest'.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Afternoon tea is quite a money spinner for many London hotels now.

I like builders tea myself, in a mug. Large volumes. 'Red Label' is a good one - originally Lyons - but the supermarkets often do reasonable Red Label.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Please recommend a kettle. Is Twinings (Royal Warrant) in the same league as Tesco's? I drink a lot of their Irish Breakfast (Twinings), but it is difficult to extract the flavor. As to Lady Nicotine, I've quit her for good, but while we were together it was Old Holborn or Three Castles rolled with a Swan paper. :icon_smile:

Thank you, Shaver.

Those directions are very accurate. I would add that fresh water and freshly boiled is essential for taste - never, ever, re-boil water that has been boiled before and left standing in the kettle. I'm not much of a tea-pot user myself and tend to brew in the cup, which must be pre-heated with the boiled water and then emptied before adding the tea bag and pouring water on. Tea bags have to be of the best possible quality (I prefer Tesco's finest English Breakfast) or there is no point in making tea at all. Leave the bag in the cup to percolate as required for taste. Once the bag is removed add sugar and milk as desired, stir and drink. Preferably with a cigarette but you may be relieved to hear that this is not compulsory!

Finally anything called 'tea' which is not made from tea leaves is simply silly e.g. various herbal infusions and the notion of decaffeinated tea perplexes me somewhat.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Please recommend a kettle. Is Twinings (Royal Warrant) in the same league as Tesco's? I drink a lot of their Irish Breakfast (Twinings), but it is difficult to extract the flavor. As to Lady Nicotine, I've quit her for good, but while we were together it was Old Holborn or Three Castles rolled with a Swan paper. :icon_smile:

Thank you, Shaver.
I've never given kettles much thought. Twinings, though, is a wonderful tea, again I only use the bags and leave these to stand in the cup (or mug) for a while until a thick strong 'builders' tea is brewed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shaver, I am most surprised to hear that you use tea bags in favor of loose leaf. A brief history of tea production. An early tea producer was concerned that when the tea leaves went through the sieving process there was a residual dust that collected below the sieve, consisting of broken leaves, stem residuals and tea dust. He couldn't stand that a portion of his product was being thrown out at the end of the day and thereby conceived of putting all the chaf, so to speak into a bag and marketing it as a cheaper alternative to loose leaf tea. Hence the birth of the tea bag. You really are losing out on the best part of the tea plant, namely the dried whole leaves. My nanny at Eaton Square would never have allowed us as children to partake in tea made from bags!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Further to my post about the difference between loose leaf tea and tea bags, I comtemplated how to further my dissertation and performed a brief experiment this morning. I was able to find some tea bags, which somehow had survived intact, as I have a fair assortment of teas but most all except this single variety are loose leaf. I cut open one of the tea bags and herewith present my evidence. https://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/...t=3&o=0&_suid=1362656641739016719044302634162 My dear Shaver, you have enlightened me regarding my dress in so many ways, I am eternally grateful. I have enjoyed reading your discourse on numerous subjects, but please allow me to force you to taste test the difference using loose leaf tea would make to your beverage consumption. Personally I prepare my tea utilizing a French Press which is soley used for tea consumption so as not to allow any oils from coffee to infiltrate. Years ago when I first started buying Twinnings Earl Grey I made two cups, side by side and realized that I could tell the leaves from the bag. I have never purchased tea bags since, the teabag in my photograph was given as a gift to me by someone who knew no better. I have found a source here in Dallas that stocks the 200 gram tins of English teas and I do admit that I prefer my tea in the adulterated version known as Earl Grey, which contains bergamot as an additive, but I implore you to reconsider your use of the dreadful teabag. Most sincerely, yours.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Further to my post about the difference between loose leaf tea and tea bags, I comtemplated how to further my dissertation and performed a brief experiment this morning. I was able to find some tea bags, which somehow had survived intact, as I have a fair assortment of teas but most all except this single variety are loose leaf. I cut open one of the tea bags and herewith present my evidence. https://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/...t=3&o=0&_suid=1362656641739016719044302634162 My dear Shaver, you have enlightened me regarding my dress in so many ways, I am eternally grateful. I have enjoyed reading your discourse on numerous subjects, but please allow me to force you to taste test the difference using loose leaf tea would make to your beverage consumption. Personally I prepare my tea utilizing a French Press which is soley used for tea consumption so as not to allow any oils from coffee to infiltrate. Years ago when I first started buying Twinnings Earl Grey I made two cups, side by side and realized that I could tell the leaves from the bag. I have never purchased tea bags since, the teabag in my photograph was given as a gift to me by someone who knew no better. I have found a source here in Dallas that stocks the 200 gram tins of English teas and I do admit that I prefer my tea in the adulterated version known as Earl Grey, which contains bergamot as an additive, but I implore you to reconsider your use of the dreadful teabag. Most sincerely, yours.
I am undone! Now I am forced to consider myself as little more than a swinish barbarian... :redface:

Good-natured joking apart, it is expedience which drives me to the tea-bag. Keen as I am on paraphernalia, ritual and the delayed gratification of preparations, yet I simply do not have the time. As I have a cup of tea to hand almost continually throughout the day I would spend more time attending to the procedure than I might reasonably afford to spare.

But Tuckspub I am simultaneously chastened and moreover tempted, very tempted, and am granting serious consideration to a return of the use of real tea at the weekends where time will more readily permit. I am due to undertake the weekly shop tomorrow and shall add some Twinings to my list and report back on Saturday.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have found a source here in Dallas that stocks the 200 gram tins of English teas and I do admit that I prefer my tea in the adulterated version known as Earl Grey, which contains bergamot as an additive, but I implore you to reconsider your use of the dreadful teabag. Most sincerely, yours.
Then you will probably not want to know what k-cups are.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.