Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

For British RTW Shirt Nerds Only

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  RJman 
#1 ·
Look, I'm going to post this and garner whatever insults (or in the case of ernest, inexplicable affrontment) one gets for discussing Hilditch and Key, but I thought the more obsessive among us might be interested.

Two observations:
1. While browsing the Off 5th Sales, I saw a HK shirt -- well, it was labelled HK but otherwise didn't resemble Hilditch and Key: plastic buttons, no gusset or pattern matching, 2 button cuff, a long floppy collar, no long tail, and material that felt flimsy and cheap. I've never seen such a shirt sold as H&K before. It _might_ be made expresly for Saks, maybe in order to keep up with the trendy British shirt thing of Pink or Ted Baker. It really was terrible though -- no wonder it didn't sell at $210.

2. I've noticed on my newer HK shirts, none of which resemble the above, that the buttons appear to be cross-stitched not parallel-stitched. Every HK shirt I've owned previously as well as some I picked up from Saks last year have parallel stitching. These shirts are part of the new breed with no country of origin label, but which otherwise seem to have all the HK quality. I'm a bit surprised as I always preferred parallel stitching -- it looks more streamlined and I have had much less trouble with parallel-stitched buttons coming loose than with the cross-stitched kind. HK and Charvet both have parallel stitching... I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumored shift to international (read 3rd world) manufacture. This was the case with a shirt purchased from Jermyn St in November and with some Sea Islands of which I just took delivery.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.