Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I indicated in the October Acquisitions thread, I had placed an order for the Footjoy Classics Tan Split Toe Blucher on closeouts from golflocker.com. The shoe arrived today by UPS. Here are my preliminary observations.

The package was in the soft plastic shipping envelope that STP, LL Bean, etc. use for soft items. I wish they had enclosed the shoe box in another hard cardboard shipper - the soft envelope did not offer enough protection to the box and it came a bit banged up (see picture below) although the contents appeared to be none the worse for it.

The shoes themselves were in nice black cotton shoe bags with the Footjoy logo (below).

Here are various closeups of the shoes' uppers and soles.

Upon first glance, the shoes appeared a lot darker than I expected, at least based on the picture from golflocker.com. The shoe construction is excellent! The stitching on both the soles and the uppers is flawless. The shoe appears to be true to size in both length and width.

The Question Marks:
The last 2 pictures show some wrinkling or striations in the leather. I don't know enough about leather shoes to know if this is normal. Also, the color is not exactly uniform - there are some signs of this in the last 2 pictures. There are slightly darker brown and slightly lighter brown regions. This does not look bad by any means and is hardly distinguishable from a distance, but I don't know if this is normal or if I should be expecting a mirror-like monochrome finish.

Overall though, I think the construction is impeccable and i am reasonably happy with it, although I would certainly invite comments from those more experienced than I am on the wrinkling and the slightly variable coloring.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The actual color is "burnished brown" according to the golflocker.com website. Here is the website picture. It also has the striations that I see on my shoe.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I have two pairs, in the same brown and black. Same deal as yours. They are my go-to, all-purpose, bad weather or long night sport coat and slacks shoes, along with two pairs of perf captoe bals for suit wear.

I got all mine when they were in the blemished section, which is an even better deal.

Even at the full ticket price of around $250 (I think) Footjoys compare decently to Allen Edmonds and beat Johnston & Murphy, Bostonian et al hands down.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looking at the website, I see similar shoes marked as having "cosmetic blemishes". Maybe this is why the color is so different?

Never-the-less, they look like a great pair of shoes to my eyes-especially for the price. They appear well constructed. Although the color isn't exactly what was advertised, they're still a nice versatile color.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the wrinkling. All my nicer shoes develop some of that anyway.

Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, gentlemen! That makes me feel a lot better. The shoe is very well constructed and fits like a dream, so I am looking forward to many years together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.