Men's Clothing Forums banner

Folding, Rolling, Loosing!

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  eagle2250 
#1 ·
3 matters of concern:

1) Regarding Casual Pants; such as chinos. Is it acceptable to fold the pants a little at the bottom creating a cuff. We see it on the Ralph Lauren Ad's all over... it's kind of a GTH attitude... do you do it? or is it like -- you're just to cheap to get your pants hemmed?

2) what about folding your OCBD sleeves up when your coat is off?

3) do you ever loosen your tie a little -- but definitely noticeable (outside of your home)

Edit: Just realized the misspelling of the title :/

#5 ·
3 matters of concern:

1) Regarding Casual Pants; such as chinos. Is it acceptable to fold the pants a little at the bottom creating a cuff. We see it on the Ralph Lauren Ad's all over... it's kind of a GTH attitude... do you do it? or is it like -- you're just to cheap to get your pants hemmed?

3) do you ever loosen your tie a little -- but definitely noticeable (outside of your home)

1. You're kidding, right? Yes, surely you're teasing.

2. and 3. If the AC fails maybe, or you have to move a pile of files at the offce, or you're under 25 and and it's after midnight and you're just too drunk to give a $h1t.

Scott

#9 ·
yes to any and all three

why not? why not roll up sleeves? why not loosen tie? why not even roll cuffs onto chinos? I mean, really? I mean, it is not like anyone else is going to care, is it? I mean, are you guys actually around other people who care how you dress? Very few people I'm around seem to care. Or, perhaps it is more accurate to say that, of the three questions posed by the OP, those actions would still result in an individual being much better dressed than most of the people I'm around...

#10 ·
3 matters of concern:

1) Yes, but only if I'm doing something where I take off my shoes too, to keep them from dragging on the ground. Honestly I've only done it on the beach.

2) All the time, but only when not wearing a tie.

3) Not unless I'm doing something physical or at a bar

#11 ·
why not? why not roll up sleeves? why not loosen tie? why not even roll cuffs onto chinos? I mean, really? I mean, it is not like anyone else is going to care, is it? I mean, are you guys actually around other people who care how you dress? Very few people I'm around seem to care. Or, perhaps it is more accurate to say that, of the three questions posed by the OP, those actions would still result in an individual being much better dressed than most of the people I'm around...
Most of us dress to impress ourselves? no? On business or in the city, I would never roll up my sleeves or loosen my tie. However, I might consider rolling up a pair of chinos to expose a little more ankle on a hot day -- if I am sitting outside eating lunch at a restaurant with a friend. (little nuances like this send very big singles and contribute to a more relaxing environment). I'm not sure how I feel when Obama or Biden roll there sleeves up and take their coats off.

#13 ·
Only to save on detergent.

1. You can roll up pants above the proper hem for actual highwater uses - puddlejumping, wet grass, etc. Otherwise it looks juvenile - like mommy thinks you're still growing.

2. If you are planning on getting your hands dirty, roll up sleeves. I find excessive cuff wear from extended computer mouse use, so one fold on right sleeve. The temperature control effect of sleeve rolling is dubious.

3. After I'm already sweating, I'll loosen a bit to prevent/minimize staining. Barely enough to expose the collarband, just enough to vent and create an air gap. The mid-sternum tie knot exudes low class.

#14 ·
1) I do this all the time, my two favorite pairs of khakis are uncuffed and have a longer length (for a more common small break). I fell that folding up and pressing the fold in not only takes off some length (for a shorter, tradier beak) but makes a nice cuff.
I also think that a self-folded up cuff looks a bit better, since I kinda says "I'm choosing to make these pants shorter" rather than, "I'm clueless and bought pants too short."

2) I always do this, except if I'm putting a jacker right back on, I have an irrational dislike for long sleeves shirt worn w/o jackets with he sleeves down.

3) NEVER< EVER, EVER I hate this.

#16 ·
1) If it's good enough for 'JoePa" on game day, it's good enough for me! It keeps the cuffs clean.

2) Yes...Why I've even had my OCBD sleeves folded while wearing my coat. I'm sure my critics thought, "that sartorial oaf is wearing a short sleeve shirt with that coat"...or worse!

3) Absolutely not...my tie shall never be loosened. When it comes time to loosen one's tie, it is time to take the tie off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.