Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Alan Flusser's Clothes and the Man and I came across a quote that I found interesting: "However, it [solid navy suit] may look a little overpowering on a young man." I never thought of it that way and I'm not sure if I agree with that statement. What do you all think?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I completely disagree. In fact, I don't think I've ever thought of a solid color suit (except maybe for mustard or something like that :icon_smile_big:) to be "overpowering". A navy suit is the first suit I bought when I was graduating from college many years ago. I certainly didn't consider it to be overpowering.

Cruiser

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I didn't remember that line. I find it to have a little more presence than the grey/charcoal. IMHO, the grey is more neutral. I find the grey to be more down-to-business, while the navy is either more down-to-earth or as far away from it as possible. But this is just me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I find the grey to be more down-to-business, while the navy is either more down-to-earth or as far away from it as possible.
This distinction is lost on me... Cruiser is exactly right on the other hand. Blue is a fine choice for a young man, most particularly, for example, in an interview type situation where it's critical to make an good first impression inwhich one would want to appear anything but "neutral."

Blue is confident. Blue is bold. Blue is good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1

I think that's going a tad far. I see nothing wrong with navy blue on young men. You read in practically every source available it's one of the founding staples of a man's wardrobe, one of the first things you should buy. And now it's "overpowering" for young guys? Come on.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
In no sense would I see this wardrobe staple as "overpowering." (Now, if the young guy sprays on a little too much Axe, or wears those huge Kenneth Cole-esque square toed snowshoes, you may have an argument, but I digress.) As always, the nature of the outfit is colored by features of shoes, shirt/tie, pocket square, etc. Bill

·
Registered
289 Posts
i am not sure if i remember exactly, but i thought the context of the quote had more to do with compatible coloring...something like navy brought out the pubescence in a younger face because it is so contrasting and stark (or something along those lines). not saying that i agree with flusser, just pointing out that while we seemed to have focused more on the propriety of navy or its presence as a basic building block of a wardrobe that is not really what flusser was disputing - again, if i am remembering his argument correctly (i would look in my copy of dressing the man but it is not at hand right now)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Age and Clothing Mismatch?

I agree with the underlying premise. That is, some clothing does not correspond to the wearer's age. However, the problem is more prominent with older men wearing younger men's styles. For older men, wearing the too skinny suits when the body has significantly softened doesn't work. For younger men, wearing the prototypical power tie (strong solid red or yellow) doesn't work for me. I also don't think the vest works for younger men.

That being said, I don't find any issues with a solid navy suit. Its the first piece of many wardrobes and one I would consider essential for every young man starting out his career.

·
Registered
996 Posts
May.

I can see what he means. If you are a rosy-cheeked fair-haired youth, the contrast of a dark, dignified and authoritative suit can accentuate the Gerber baby look.
Below, William on the right has the facial angularity to pull it off, whereas Harry suffers the aforementioned problem, IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that it depends on the specific shade of blue. If it's too dark, it will act like black and drain the color out of a man's face.:icon_pale: The shade of William's suit is much better than most OTR shades. But charcoal offers more warmth to the complexion than dark blue.
-Striding Man

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I don't see Flusser's POV at all.

A navy suit is about as 'wallpaper' as you can get at any age, size, shape. It's the staple suit, without any detracting patterns or color. Does he quantify or qualify the statement by saying something like, "It focuses attention on their young faces, and therefor I disappear in the room to everyone else around while the young bucks get all the girls."

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.