Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a pair of florsheim penny loafers in black today. I got them for nearly nothing on ebay ($15.99 plus $6.50 shipping) and they are brand new, never worn but without the box. These shoes are unlined and made in India and I have no idea how they could ask $90 retail for them. I will wear them as knock arounds but I don't feel like I have filled in a missing piece of my footwear collection. They look nice enough on the outside but the sole lining just looks slapped in with a blob of glue and they just feel disposable. I dont have any faith that they will last a long time, its a shame considering what the name used to mean.

I have a nice pair of lace-up florsheim imperials and those seems to be on the scale of AE's but these are just crap served up from a brand that has really been busted out. I guess I was thinking they would be of a similar quality level as the imperials but they arent even close. The only thing these shoes are going to do for me is make me buy a real pair of black penny loafers sooner rather than later. Luckily I got them for cheap. What a shame.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I picked up a pair of Florsheim Lexington captoe bals from JC Penney for $50 during the recent end-of-year sale period. I would never pay the list price of $90 for them. It will serve as a general purpose shoe for times when I don't feel like bringing out my PAs.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Cheap shoes disgust me.
I am by no means snobbish but for me personally it would be hard to go backwards from Alden even for a kick around.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Although the brand is no longer what it once was, I still love it when I watch the scene in "Chinatown" when the water comes rushing down on Jack Nicholson, almost drowning him. He emerges with only one shoe and mutters "God damn brand new Florsheim shoe"!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a pair of Florsheim Imperial ankle boots that I really enjoy. The are made very well and are goodyear welted. I have however, never had to have a pair of AEs resoled, and the soles on my Florsheims feel like they are wearing pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would have trouble wearing anything made by Florsheim in the last 10 years or so. They used to make some fantastic, very sturdy longwings (here in the U.S.) that I would rank up there with Alden anyday. However, unless it was new old stock, I would pass.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wear black shoes about 3-4 times a year, so I didn't mind picking up a pair of black Florsheim captoes. I didn't see the reason for paying 4X more for black PAs. I agree that if black shoes were heavily in my shoe rotation, I wouldn't bother getting recently manufactured Florsheims.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I wear black shoes about 3-4 times a year, so I didn't mind picking up a pair of black Florsheim captoes. I didn't see the reason for paying 4X more for black PAs. I agree that if black shoes were heavily in my shoe rotation, I wouldn't bother getting recently manufactured Florsheims.
Same here. If I were a young guy with many years of suit wearing ahead of me I would invest in something along the line of PAs; however, I only wear a suit a few times a year now and my Florsheim Lexington captoes do just fine in that scenario.

Someone posted a picture of a pair of Lexingtons a couple of years ago without knowing exactly what they were and some mistook them for PAs. Obviously they aren't in the same league with PAs, but if cared for and with limited wear they can look almost identical.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I happen to fancy a pair of Florsheim loafers that sell at JC Penney for about $85. They have been my workhorse shoes for about a year now ... I wear them in all weather conditions, all the time, and beat the living heck of them. For the price, they are decent and super comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.